Sign in to follow this  
Standardowy

Unique bosses lost in space&time - the possible solution

As we all know along with uniques respawn system came the wall bashing to prevent players from penning these mobs for someones own enjoyment or out of greed. Most of you know that this system didnt fully solve the penning issue. Note that I am not a hypocrite - we've been holding TK captive recently together with my villagemates but only so that more players could come over (basically we organized a public kill with rolled loot). What I dont accept on the other hand is keeping them uniques captive for months as i said before - just for fun or out of greed. That is what, IMO, has to be worked on.

So, how do I see it? A bit more complex respawn system - no matter where the unique is, if not in combat at the moment, it has a chace to respawn in a different spot every 4 weeks +/- 3 days. This would prevent them from being penned for excessive periods od time (like the FG on Indy likely is)

What do you guys think od it? Please state your opinions and ideas! Thanks for your attention

Edited by Standardowy
  • Like 3

I like the idea of the uniques moving, since it also moves them out of horribly difficult areas (cough top of dragons fang cough). On the other hand, I would like for them to also be less aggressive in their bashing, they destroy deeds in a day!

I've always considered old age a good reason for uniques to die now, since they will respawn. If they're penned, trapped, or just unfindable, then they will eventually die (1-2 months?) and make room for a new one :)

• Like 1

Doesn't even need code really, uniques that stay alive for more than 1 month are rare enough that they could just be respawned by hand by a gm

But then we'll get accusations of GMs moving them towards their friends or players ranting at staff for moving 'their' dragon. Better to use a computer generated respawn.

As to the bashing of deeds, the pathing and placement code needs some extra sections to prevent them spawning on a deed or wandering on to a deed randomly. Heck, if some system to prevent ninjas were to be added, they could refuse to walk on deeds at all.

• Like 2

I think I recall an official stance from the staff along the lines of, "If you're clever enough to get away with it, you're allowed to."  I do think it is a good idea though.

The behavior could vary per unique. Some just roam around, some idle about, and some might roam a bit and establish a lair of sorts.

Say one of the dragon types roaming and flying about till it finds a bit of treasure and a nice cave perhaps. First failed attack sets the dragon to seek a new haven.

• Like 1

As for respawning at a different spot over time, I would reduce that to a week (7 days). I agree with Othob that Uniques should be programmed not to enter deeds. For a period of time few years back all aggros would not enter deeds unless lured there, so I don't see why Uniques couldn't be programmed to never do so.

=Ayes=

I like the idea of the uniques moving, since it also moves them out of horribly difficult areas (cough top of dragons fang cough). On the other hand, I would like for them to also be less aggressive in their bashing, they destroy deeds in a day!

I've always considered old age a good reason for uniques to die now, since they will respawn. If they're penned, trapped, or just unfindable, then they will eventually die (1-2 months?) and make room for a new one :)

not a bad way to do it, but ONLY IF there is no loot when they die of old age. Otherwise, everyone will try to capture them and keep quiet.

Edited by Wurmhole

The whole statement around if your clever enough to get away with it pisses me off because if the team doesn't like it they call it an exploit and punish accordingly. They shouldn't make such statements otherwise they are hypocrites. Bah makes me mad.