Sign in to follow this  
ArtifexDominus

Archery Combat PVE

Hey guys,

I am a PVE'r and am just getting started. I really like the idea of an archer, hunting, staying at range in combat etc.

I have been using fletching for BC gains and have begun leveling longbow.

I can easily see stats for the Fighting Skill, Huge Axes, stances etc. but Archery on the wiki really doesn't say much as far as hunting combat goes, and forum posts on this are a couple years old.

I guess what im asking, is if I level my Longbow skill to 30 on a target (and bow to 10) before moving to live targets, is it going to be even close to viable at that skill level to hunt? Or is it even then, going to take too long to kill anything? (mind you im not talking champs or anything...)

Thanks!

Get 40, on target. After that hunt easy animals lile horses..deers..sheeps..wolfs.. Everything little.

Is archery good in pve?

Well u can shoot down champion troll (strongest non-unique mob in pve) within 54seconds without even getting a scratch on yourself, yes it's definately good.

Just as any skill, slowly build up higher.

(Champ troll example was with just 65archery) could say it's OP if used right ;)

Very good, especially when you shoot them from max distance and they ignore you.

Only pain is making the arrows.

Thanks!

Are there stats on hit chance, damage, etc etc with higher skill level?

How do I judge what I can do at different levels?

Very good, especially when you shoot them from max distance and they ignore you.

Only pain is making the arrows.

I have no problem making arrows. ;)

Some animals will always have high glance rate.

The overall does get better as u get better skill, but also good bow and a good stock of +15ql arrows take u a long way. Big or small skill.

Also best bonus from archery is the body control gains, and the fact archery already is the 2nd fastest skill in wurm to raise. HFC being first on the list

You can pretty much kill anything with pretty low archery skill.

Stuff like scorpions and crocodiles are probably the hardest to kill with archery, while trolls are among the easiest because they don't glance at all.

In my experience archery is one of the awesum combat skills the only pain for me now is earning enough money to buy myself i nice high ql enchanted bow haha fletching itself is no problem but bowyery is a handfull in my opinion XD

Hey guys,

I am a PVE'r and am just getting started. I really like the idea of an archer, hunting, staying at range in combat etc.

I have been using fletching for BC gains and have begun leveling longbow.

I can easily see stats for the Fighting Skill, Huge Axes, stances etc. but Archery on the wiki really doesn't say much as far as hunting combat goes, and forum posts on this are a couple years old.

I guess what im asking, is if I level my Longbow skill to 30 on a target (and bow to 10) before moving to live targets, is it going to be even close to viable at that skill level to hunt? Or is it even then, going to take too long to kill anything? (mind you im not talking champs or anything...)

Thanks!

Archery is great fun and in some situations it can be quite effective but I would say "No"; unfortunately it's not viable in the sense I suspect you're after. Speaking strictly in a PVE context Archery is not a viable substitute for Fighting, it's a complement at best. Some games feature ranged combat and close-quarters as two opposing skill paths both equal in benefits and weaknesses, but I find this is not the case with Wurm. Your total offensive capacity after spending X hours in archery training is always going to be less than after spending the same hours training melee. While you're certainly going to be able to snipe deer at a distance with just a couple of shots, it would still always be much faster and more effective to just run up to the bastard and slice him up. Factoring in the encumbrance and creation process of arrows it seems "the curve" of the Archery skill really struggles to compare with Fighting.

The situational benefits of Archery are considerable however. Some of the tougher enemies like hell hounds and trolls, which pose a serious threat to insufficiently skilled or just unlucky brawlers, can be engaged effectively and relatively safely at range at practically any Archery skill level.

I agree with the poster above. Archery is a nice skill, but it's also very situational - and thus can only complement but not replace your melee fighting skills.