Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

Survival Server

What do you think about having a pve survival server kind of like challenge but more survival oriented?

The way wurm pve is now is it easy to feed and care for yourself but what if they changed that making it so it was difficult.  Maybe add in sickness and make it so you have to really strive to just get by let alone make shelters. Lets put more survival into wurm with a survival server. 

Feel free to expand on the concept as it is really raw but i think it might be fun. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 5

Thats what i was thinking about ...turning GV into a hunting / survival server....link to the North of Inde.

No buildings allowed ...only Tents....no Forges, Ovens, Looms and other stuff like that.

Sail there ...camp out ...hunt and survive.

Even if they just made a copy of GV and used that.

Great idea Lord Kegan....+1 from me. ;)

dont see many playing it.

it's already too hard in the beginning, too easy in the end.

I'd rather see something like Wurm Singleplayer, where you can modify everything as you like and then even do survival kind of stuff to suit you the best.

• Like 3

Can't speak for others, but personally I wouldn't play it.

I also think they should fix the current game before starting even more projects, as a sidenote.

• Like 1

You can already choose to play 'survival' if you wish.

Survival games are fun, but only because you know that eventually you will reach some breakthrough point where it then becomes 'easy' to survive. If you're permanently stuck in the 'scavenge for food' part, it'll just become a chore quickly and cease being fun. You need progression...a lot of progression...to keep people interested in survival games.

Even a single player version of Wurm would become stale very quickly too. Might as well just play around with the deed planner tool.

Edited by Outlaw

we talked about it in Nov in this thread.

I suggested a model with villages fighting back a troll/goblin filled, rapidly encroaching forest. Something where you live in a clearing and have to actively push out against an encroaching wilderness, deal with rampaging troll swarms killing your livestock, harsh climate including growing seasons and blights, starvation, limited trade and travel etc. Players should more or less be forced to cluster together for safety and mutual dependence. Solo play should be extremely difficult and very limited in scope (roving hunter or lumberjack on the fringes, no mountaintop hermit palaces with 2000 tile fields)

I forgot to mention in that thread that I'd want to go back to using minimum distance between villages (several hundred tiles) but also rework villages so people can feel comfortable getting in close to each other for protection without the current deed mechanics getting in the way. Something like the higher tier purely democratic (all members) or republican (all members with land or all members of a certain rank) "village" pushing perimeter, limiting decay and having members, but tile ownership being subordinate "writs" so you might own and control only the land your house is on and a field outside town. All these changes would be to make villages more organic and user friendly but also to encourage people that don't know or trust each other to come together gracefully with a sense of security and without any one player "owning" the village.

I'd love to sit down with a few people and hammer out an actual model of what a Wurm "real"  PvE server would be like.

Edited by Othob Rithol
  • Like 4

That sounds fun Othob, I would definitely give that a go ;p

Sounds like a lot of work though to implement.

start a new character, dont give him anything and see how tough it is aka free to play.

we need less servers not more of them.
i do like the survival part though but i think we should just spice up the exsisting servers, especially the freedom isles

The problem there is that you can't force the existing players to conform to the new, harsher game rules without losing a significant % of the player base. Any substantial increase in difficulty has to be on a new server, and preferably a new "cluster" (even if it is a cluster of one).

Nordic server...75 % winter....can't farm on winter...weather complicates and makes travel slower. Mailing is more expensive and takes longer...maybe days or weeks during winter storms....

Upside. Finally i can look like a viking with fur armor and horned helmet, only craftable on this server.

I could put more ideas but this is from my phone while at work

• Like 2

As long as this is kept restricted to a new server and does not have the creep effect into the existing servers, I have no problem with something of this sort; however, this server should be made just *after* the creation of a Peaceful server, with no aggressive animals upon it.

=Ayes=

What do you think about having a pve survival server kind of like challenge but more survival oriented?

The way wurm pve is now is it easy to feed and care for yourself but what if they changed that making it so it was difficult.  Maybe add in sickness and make it so you have to really strive to just get by let alone make shelters. Lets put more survival into wurm with a survival server. 

Feel free to expand on the concept as it is really raw but i think it might be fun. 

I think its a great idea, just not timed based like challenge. I wouldnt want the servers to be wiped at all for any reason. It should be that the PVE side has a more difficult server where mobs frequently attack settlements. As I have posted in many other threads, there needs to be meaning to the things we build and adding in things like mass mob spawns or really anything that gives some sort of meaning to construction/crafting,or adds in a bit of strategy is a good thing. I put in a suggestion about this a long time ago here.

Edited by sunsvortex

Has been suggested quite some times. I would play on it.

It's an old problem of Wurm, trying to get both the builders and the wilderness people on one server type. What some players like (wilderness and survival) other players want to remove, and in the end the builders always win and every server ends up as a collection of highways, castles, canals, markets and parking lots. 

Wurm should slowly migrate to a 3-server game:

1. Civilisation (PvE, terra-forming enabled, no Valrei mobs, normal building rules, like the Freedom PvE servers have now)

2. War (PvP, terra-forming severely limited, with Valrei mobs, buildings/roads/structures need 2-3 times the materials they need now)

3. Survival (PvE, terra-forming severely limited, with Valrei mobs, buildings/roads/structures need 3-5 times the materials they need now)

As long as this is kept restricted to a new server and does not have the creep effect into the existing servers, I have no problem with something of this sort; however, this server should be made just *after* the creation of a Peaceful server, with no aggressive animals upon it.

=Ayes=