Sign in to follow this  
Kriet

Kriet's Story

Having played this game for a very long time I thought I would give writing a story a go based on my experiences in the game. Ive done this in the past with other games but seldom ever posted a story. With that I have completed the first part of the story. I intend to continue this story up to modern day Chaos. This part however is the meager beginning on Golden Valley. Hope you enjoy.

Foggy...so foggy. I don't remember much from the previous night other then a strange mirrored ball and a bunch of red wine.  All I can see in my current foggy state as I lay slumped over the edge of the bed is a bucket with food and water, a meditation rug and a odd statue laying on the ground. I have no idea where I am or how I got here. Standing up I start to take stock of whats around me. To my left a wooden wall with no windows. A general glance to my right and behind me reveals much the same. In front of me there is a wooden wall with a door. Pulling myself up out of bed I reach out to try and open the door. No such luck there as the door is locked. So here I sit in this tiny little room which would appear as a jail more then a hospitable retreat. Question is what on earth did I do to get tossed in this room? 

The door in front of me creeks open and a slanky fellow sticks his head in, 

"You okay fella?"

"Other than a feeling of utter dread I guess I should be thankful I'm alive."

"Aye you should" "You drifted up to the shore in a row boat and crashed on some rocks on the shore"

"Ahh I see so is this a Hospital room  or a Mental institution i've landed in?"

"Not that simple friend. No one knows who you are so its both"

With that the door closes and the strange little fellow vanished leaving me with nothing to do. Looking around I notice a carving knife on the floor and some fairly decent wood so I decided now would be a good time to carve out a few arrows and fashion a bow perhaps.  A few hours later I managed to make a few wooded arrows but come to realize there was no way to make a decent arrow head. What a waste of time. Not like I had much going on anyways. Carving a polearm might be a better idea and with that I managed to carve a fine polearm which I hid under the bed for safe keeping. 

Another few hours pass before that strange fellow came back. 

"You feeling any better yet?" 

"Aye I am" "Who are you anyways?"

"The name is Fohmyn and you have found your way to Golden Valley"

"That was my next question actually..where did I crash" "But telling me I am in Golden Valley does little to explain where I am"

"No other way to explain it other then to say welcome to Golden Valley" "Come with me and I'll show you around"

Standing up and gathering myself I step in the direction of the door which Fohmyn opens wide enough for me to see that its daylight. Stepping out taking a look around I see a large area surrounded by small stone walls and wooden fences with small little buildings on each side apparently serving as gate houses or guard houses or in my case a jail. In the middle of this fenced in area are 4 building about 4 times the size of those gate houses. Fields of various types were all about growing corn, cotton, wemp and pumpkins. There are food storage bins on the sides of the houses and other storage bins laying on the ground as well. Fohmyn continues to lead me to the southern gate house and through to what looks like a door in the ground. As we approach the door opens and leads into a dark cavern. A little deeper into the mine we stop at an iron vein. With that he hands me a pickaxe and motions at the iron. 

"Start mining"

"Start Mining?" "You haven't even asked me my name yet" "Or does that not matter?"

"It will once you prove your worth" "So mine until I tell you to stop" 

"And if I don't feel like mining?" "If I would rather just leave?"

"Well your on an island and your boat is in a million pieces so you have no way to leave"

"So ive landed on an island called Golden Valley?" "The Irony"

"Don't worry about all that just start mining"

As far as I am concerned this has to be the strangest day any one person could every wake up to. Several more hours pass by while I mined away. By this time I managed to mine up about 200 ore before Fohmyn reappeared in the mine. He indicates to me that its time to move on to a different assignment. I was led up to the fields I observed earlier and was handed a rake and told to tend all the fields. For a guy who has never touched a rake ever this was going to take a very long time. 

Hours felt like days as I tended section after section of the field, and as the day grew longer there appeared to be nothing more i could want for then sleep. A night with quiet darkness to contemplate my current situation. Nearing the half way point I could see some rapid movement as the off in the distance. I could hear Fohmyn yelling at someone named Yami to grab a sword. Out of curiosity I spun around to catch a glimpse of a lion nearing the camp. A massive beast slowly trudging across a road. About that time a loud alarm goes off and I could see the others in the camp grabbing weapons and armor and running towards a gate house on the north side of the camp. envious I was as they headed off to adventure and danger while I am left alone in the camp to work. Within a few hours I see Fohmyn return with the other three, one of which I assumed was Yami and the other two I had no clue of who they were or what to call them. They passed by hauling the carcass of the lion with much weariness in their eyes yet satisfaction that the little adventure they went on was a success. I could hear one say "looks as though we will be having a feast tonight". This sounded good I thought to myself as after working in this seemingly endless field I was building up an appetite. Fohmyn passes by and I managed to muster enough courage to inquire if I too would be able to enjoy this "feast"? Well grunt, when you finish this current task then yes you will be able to have a bit of a bite. You have earned that at the very least. 

Another two hours pass by and I see an end to the job at hand. Fohmyn approaches me with a meal in what appeared to be a clay bowl. So hungry was I that I honestly don't remember what it even taste like. We all sat around a camp fire on the ground. The fire felt good as a cool breeze was moving in from the north. I sat quietly as they all shared stories of the days adventure. I was slowing starting to figure out who was who. Yami was the talkative one that seemed to never take a breath when talking. Fohmyn I already knew, he was the apparent leader of the group. Uilnaydar was second in command and then there was Don who spoke broken English but was loyal to the group. 

Those 4 made up the camp that I found myself trapped in with no way to leave. I had no choice other than to make good of the situation I was in as I had no boat and with that no way to leave. What was in store for me in the days to come? I had no idea but what ever it was I was going to face it with  brave intent. 

Days pasted by and it would seem that the group was slowly taking to my presence. It felt as though I was gradually being accepted into the group. I no longer had to wear the chain that normally kept me in the mine or chained to a fence while tending fields. Trust was slowly being earned. I was even allowed to help in the building of the camp as every day they were working to improve or repair the buildings and fences that comprised our camp. Yes our camp, I felt as though I was meant to be here for some odd reason, as though destiny had a hand in crashing my boat upon the shoreline. 

Yami, the talkative one, approaches me with a sword in hand. "Here ya go Kriet, your going to need this" he says with an odd gleam in his eye. "why?" I replied. "We are setting out to hunt wolf Uilnaydar spotted a few minutes ago to the south of here" Yami states flatly. "all I get is a sword? No armor?" Yami looks at me with a giggle and says "armor is given to those we know will survive" "survive this and we will see about a nice set of leather armor for you" That feeling of utter dread starts to creep back into my mind as I suddenly felt like a helpless meat shield. We all gathered in the darkness around the camp fire that was in the center of the camp. Swords in hand Uilnaydar hands me a shield made of wood. A small round shaped thing with a cross in the middle. With Fohmyn at the front we started heading to the east gate. Passing through the gate I could see we exited on a road that was narrow. Trees lined the road making it hard to see much of anything around us. Eventually after traveling along this narrow road we came to a place where the road went north and south. This was a much bigger road, two lanes across with sand on either side. I could see a town off in the distance to the north and up a large hill. It was well lit much like our camp was. 

We turned south and headed down the road in search of a wolf as it was explained to me by Yami. I could sense the uneasiness in the group. Uilnaydar was tapping his shield with his sword as we walked along the road. Don followed behind keeping an eye out to the north as we traveled slowly down this long road that seemed long and endless. The road went up hill and on the left I could see the statue of a dog near a wooden mine door. Off to my left I could see a large boat in what looked as though it was a lake. A large boat in a land locked lake. Yet another odd site to behold in my new surroundings. With that the silence was broken as a howl could be heard in the near distance. "Form a line" Fohmyn yells, and with those orders we all got in line and there it was, a hulking beast with glowing red eyes and teeth that looked as though they were grown for the sole purpose of biting someones head off. What have I gotten myself into I though to myself. Where have I landed? what was this place that would spawn a beast of this sort? "CHARGE" I hear Fohmyn yell and without hesitation Don and Yami run head long into the beasts waiting grasp.......

More to come soon.

• Like 4

Before we continue this story, lets take a step back in time to understand how I came to land on the island of Golden Valley......

Krietarian, Kriet for short, was born to a Halasian Barbarian by the name of Skrone and a Human Mother by the name of Asheen. Skrone, a traveling merchant from the Shattering homelands, met Asheen while on a trade route to Freeport. Asheen was raised in Freeport by merchant parents that often did business with Skrone's parents up until the time when the Barbarians were forced to flee their homeland by the Snoworcs. Skrone took up his fathers trade route which took him to Freeport and Qeynos. While in Freeport he met and fell in love with Asheen. They were married in less than a year despite the objections of both sets of parents.

Skrone and Asheen settled in Qeynos as Skrone continued to operate his trade route. Within a year Asheen gave birth to their first child Lanin. Two years later Krietarian was born. Life for Skrone and his wife Asheen could not be better. Their sons were going to grow up in a quiet city with mild privilege. That is until the gnolls of Blackburrow started to advance to the city. Skrone had to answer the call to war to protect his family and the city he called home. Enlisted in the Qeynos Guard, Skrone soon rose to the position of Captain of the guard. It was through Skrone's efforts that the gnolls were pushed back into the depths of Blackburrow, but at a cost. Several gnolls had breach the walls of Qeynos where they killed anything in sight. The gnolls were led by Fartak the Grim, A foul and ruthless gnoll. While in the city they found the home of the Captain and it was there they slayed Asheen and her sister Skyann where they slept. It just so happens that Lanin and Kriet had been sent to Freeport for safety only a few days earlier. Fartak, upon hearing of this was furious and demanded his gnolls track them down before they made it through the Karanas. Word was sent to the Orcs of Highpass Hold to find them and detain them. Halfway through their journey through the Karanas their party was attacked by the Treants, agents of the evil that was gripping the land. In the confusion Lanin and Kriet became separated. Kriet was whisked off to Highpass Hold in the cover of darkness where he would eventually make it through Kithicor Forest, pass the long trek through the commonlands to arrive in Freeport. Lanin was nowhere to be seen and was not heard from again. Kriet knew nothing of his brothers fate but would never give up hope that he survived. 

A few years had passed and Kriet began to wonder if anyone from his family was alive as he had not heard from his mother or father for at least 5 years. Kriet had finished his lower learning as the Freeport locals called it. Lower learning, the very embodiment of what the people of Freeport afforded those of lesser stock. Kriet was a half-breed and was treated as such. No higher education would be offered to this human barbarian. Kriet however, craved knowledge and continued to read about the lands of Norrath. His appetite for exploration and adventure grew as he got older. While growing up in Freeport, Kriet had found work in the local Guild Hall of the humans as a stable hand. Tending to the Freeport Guards mounts as well as the many travelers that came through. Kriet would come in contact with every manner of creature. Ogres, Orcs, gnolls, Humans, Elves and Vah Shir.

It wasn't until Kriet was sent on a  trade assignment to Faydwer that he would meet his first Dwarf. He actually met a pair of them to be exact. Skanlin and his brother Skolin. Kriet ran into the two of them as they were running about the Butcherblock Mountains hunting bats for which to make batwing crunchies as they called them. Skanlin and Skolin were about the same age as Kriet so relating to the pair was easy for Kriet. The Dwarves were friendly and inviting to their new Human friend, so much so that rather then return to Freeport, Kriet decided to stay in Faydwer and join the Mountain Guard. Kriet finally felt as though he had found a home. Although ownership of an actual home was forbidden in the Butcherblock Mountains as he was human and the land could only be owned by the Dwarves. This did not seem to dampen Kriet's spirit as he lived there for another 2 years, sharing in the adventure of chasing down and slaying skeletons for their bone chips, something Kriet could not understand the purpose of.

One day while on patrol, Skanlin called Kriet back to the mountain hold where he told them they had been called upon by the Woodelfs for assistance. The Orcs of Crushbone had gotten loose in Faydark and were marching on Kelethin. Skolin, Skanlin and Kriet had set off for Faydark where they joined in the battle to push the Orcs back into Crushbone. This battle went on for months and one Captain after another was slayed by the Orcs. With the loss of each great Captain, Kriet was advancing through the ranks by showing much of the same bravery his Father had shown in the war with the gnolls. It just so happened that word had come that the last Captain had been killed only a few miles from where Kriet and his Dwarven friends were fighting. With their postion well in hand, Kriet made haste to the site of the fallen Captain only to discover that it was in fact his Father. Kriet took up his fathers sword and led the remaining human Guard that had come to help defend Kelethin against the Orcs of Crushbone. Kriet had led the final attack on the Orcs and pushed them back into Crushbone for good. And in the process he slayed the evil that was guiding the Orcs, Ambassador D'Vinn, a Dark Elf that had a strong hold on the Orcs. Ambassador D'Vinn had corrupted Lord Darish of the Crushbone Orcs and deceived him into thinking he could take Faydark for his own. With the death of Ambassador D'Vinn, Lord Darish ordered his Orc Army to retreat back into Crushbone. 

Kriet was now Captain of the Faydark Guard. This was only the second time that anyone other than a Elf had been named Captain. It was a great Honor that would not last. Only a month into his new position, where peace had been reached in Faydark, political pressure had started to mount to replace Kriet as Captain of the Guard with an Elf of noble birth. An Elf known as Master Opto was looking to have his son installed as the new Captain of the Guard. He never hid the fact that he despised humans and hated Barbarians even more. So he really had no use for Kriet either way. While on assignment at the gates of Crushbone, Kriet was called back to Kelethin. Upon his arrival he was taken into custody and charged with the death of a local Merchant. Kriet was was unsure of how this could be allowed as he was no where near the city at the time of the death. None the less, to maintain peace in the city Kriet was convicted. Due to Kriet's bravery in the battle with the Orcs, Death was not an option as there was plenty of support for Kriet by the people of Kelethin. The only option was to banish him from Faydwer. He would not even be allowed to return to Butcherblock Mountains. Kriet was set afloat on a row boat with food, water and a weapon and the armor he wore. Was this how his life was to end? With little fanfare Kriet was sent into the vast ocean with no direction. With no compass he had no idea where he would land. 

Kriet was sure madness was starting to set in as he had on many occasions had a conversation with his mother on the row boat. It was as if she was right there with him. This had to be a clear sign of madness. He had not seen land in over a month and his food was beginning to run out. There was only a few Beer Braised Bear steaks left and very few Batwing Crunchies. Suddenly hope was restored as he spotted a bird flying above him. There has to be land ahead. Within a few hours there it was, a large port city. He had no Idea where he was. The city walls were huge. There appeared to be but a small dock for which to park his boat but it would do just fine. It was land and that's all that mattered. While he tied his boat down he was approached by a well dressed guard who wielded a huge londsword. Pointing the sword at Kriet he demanded to know where he came from. As Kriet started to explain, the Guard got a puzzled look on his face. When Kriet finally mention his last home of Kelethin the guard stated that he had to be telling a tall tale as that place as far as he knew did not exist. When Kriet inquired as to where he had landed, the Guard laughed and stated that he had made port at the Great Human City of Stormwind.....

• Like 1