Sign in to follow this  
Brash_Endeavors

Icebergs!

So I was thinking to myself, "You know, the people here who really HATE winter, just don't hate winter ENOUGH! We Must Change That"

So I think we should have -- Icebergs!

202591751926507624_1346394523.jpg

These spawn in place of the sea serpents which we still get in spring summer fall. But when the server updates to WINTER, they all suddenly transform into slow moving icebergs. Each iceburg also have one highly aggro polar bear and one friendly non aggro penguin. You can climb on them and fish from them, in fact fishing from an iceberg brings super special fishing luck! (It is probably a good idea to kill the bear first)

Icebergs can collide with ships and cause 5 damage (or whatever)  but they are soooooo slow you have to really be AFK and not paying any attention at all. When spring updates, they all melt back into the sea and it is sea serpent season once more.

"Nobody could possibly hate that!" you say!  Well but I am not finished!! More freezes than just sea serpents->icebergs. Water freezes too, which makes it fun for iceskating and sleds but a pain for transport. There are a few "rules":

* Water stays unfrozen all year within X tiles of a server border

* Any boat traffic (even just a rowboat)  makes water less likely to freeze in that tile for the next 12 hours. So if 2-3 boats a day go from Xanadu to Deli, they will keep at least a few travel channels open. 

* Shipbuilders can build icebreakers that will reopen waterways for the remainder of that winter 

200px-MT_Tempera.jpg

* For icefishing or even just drinking water in inland lakes etc, you need to carve an icehole. Seals LOVE these and if they sense one nearby will congregate. And where seals congregate, will polar bears be far behind??

753_normal.jpg

* Every winter, all bears wolves seals get a white winter fur coat (and also become more dangerous, shhh!). White winter furs will have extra extra special uses when Wurm Spring Fashion Week arrives! People will save up and barter for white winter fur because it is so perfect for fancy clothes. Fur trading will become highly profitable in wintertime. Winter is short so hunters will drop everything to go hunting for furs.

And there is more! Skiing! Dogsleds! Toboggans! Ice skates!

Everyone will love winter -- except the winter grinches who now hate it even more because it upsets daily routines :P Everyone else has Super Winter Holiday Funtime.

Alas winters seem to only last about 3-4 days any more :( but this will make us look forward to them even more. Even non-prems get a taste of love as they can hook up a tiny one-dog-sled and ride it for a couple days before they are back to foot traffic only. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 12

ice + icebergs.

few days in winter that you cant sail, but can walk on water!

some permanent icebergs and some temporary [starts planning a white castle for personal iceberg island]

-1 as someone who spends literally 30+ hrs a week sailing and making deliveries I want nothing to do with another thing to get bugged out on and run around with.. Also would have detrimental effects on PvP servers.

I think it'd be pretty neat if certain areas or even, perhaps an entire server, was dedicated to permanent winter. 

Maybe a server added to the north, which would be always cold. There you would be unable to farm(would need to bring food from other servers) and could be sort of an end-game place to live as you'd need connections to survive well. There could be benefits to living there, maybe increased spawn rates(or special creatures(polar bears, pengwins) and uniques(yeti, kracken), increased fishing, or other reasons to draw people to an icy wasteland. d: Could also implement icebergs in the ocean at this place, that when a collision with a ship occurs, the ship would take damage. It would be a hard place to survive, but would make Wurm have a more survival flavor, but only on this one server, of course. 

Just a thought (:

Edited by Lei
  • Like 4

Yes you could just walk over those pvp moats lol

Or maybe the next server we get in 6 months will be WinterHell, Land of EverSnow.   Packed with polar bears, dog sleds, unique stuff but it is winter every season except summer. Farmers better make the most of that summer too. You have to plan careful to not lose the next crop to frost come autumn.

Most people don't live there because it is so cold and hostile but some have winter camps, and others love it (esp hermits)

** added:  This is the only server that has frostbite in wintertime. Wearing at least one Fur item helps prevent that -- the more fur items you wear, the better your defenses. So one fur item might give 10% block to frostbite, and it stacks so 8 fur items give 80% defense to frostbite.  Since people are aware of this from the start it does not "ruin" anyone's game -- if they do not like Frostbite and impacts of severe cold weather, choose a different server!!!!!

• Like 5

No you didnt :(

you don't mean this Brash :(... you cant be this mean :/ ...even more ways to make sailing awful ...isn't it bad at it is :/

ice berg ok but for heaven sake don't freeze the water :(

its hard to skate on it otherwise. Just imagine the joys of delivering 10k wemp on iceskates!

(I think this one broke her leg though)

prt-nl-1498-lidwina-300.jpg

oww oww oww

Don't worry honey we'll drag you to the healer ..

• Like 2

+1 really like the themes of the polar bears, white furs, etc - and icebergs in winter - but not iced sea water much - although maybe priests could cast ice on a pond say for skating, or on a special slope for skiing ...

PS: congrats Brash on hitting 3,000 posts ;)

>although maybe priests could cast ice on a pond say for skating, or on a special slope for skiing ..

Oooo that's not a bad idea!!

>PS: congrats Brash on hitting 3,000 posts  ;)

It's All About The Coffee!

I like the idea of a Northern, frozen server. Ice would be too annoying for people, though. Not fun.

its hard to skate on it otherwise. Just imagine the joys of delivering 10k wemp on iceskates!

(I think this one broke her leg though)

prt-nl-1498-lidwina-300.jpg

oww oww oww

Don't worry honey we'll drag you to the healer ..

this made me laugh so so hard.  Thank you brash