Something I have been toying with is an extension to priest gameplay.  Considering we are probably the most prolific travellers on wurm (since we have no other way of making a living...) it occured to me that rather than waiting till 90 meditation and abusing home recall for our travel needs a more mystical way would be appropriate.  This is a FREEDOM ONLY suggestion, though it could have VERY interesting uses in PvP as well.  It would be some much needed love for priests.

The idea is players can construct moongates.  These are 3x3 tile entities that require a flattened and marble paved area.

Each component of the moongate takes up a tile, once all components are built the moongate is activated by using a rare gem on the raised platform (the rare gem is consumed).  If any of the construction conditions are not met then a message as to what is wrong is displayed (components in the wrong place will be considered missing)

Edit for clarity : These are ON tile constructions, not movable objects but actual structures

The components are :

4 metal struts (gold).  These require a high level (70) blacksmith to start and continue.  These are placed in the corners.  Must be enchanted with wind of ages/blessings of the dark of at least 70, failed castings can damage.

1 central raised platform (marble).  This requires a high level (70) mason to start and continue.  Must be enchanted with a courier/dark messenger cast of at least 70, failed castings can damage..

4 charged crystal pedestals (requires marble, gold and one gem of at least QL50 each).  These require a high level in Jewelery smithing (closest I could get to intricate construction) (70) to start and continue).  They must also be charged using vessel (at least 70 favor's worth in the single cast).  These are placed adjacent to the central platform.  Must be enchanted with lurker in the dark of at least 70, failed castings can damage..

Upon creation a master index is awarded to the activator and, using a gem of QL50 or above, slave indexes can be created by using the master index on the gem.  Master indexes have the same weight and properties as keys (and are destroyed the moment a gate is destroyed), slave indexes can decay if dropped but weigh the same as keys, they cannot be repaired or improved in any mundane way (these are also destroyed the moment a gate is destroyed).

The master index can also be used to toggle the gate as public or private.

The average QL of the moongate components denotes how difficult it is to use it (higher QL reduces the difficulty of direct teleportation).

Moongates decay a little differently than other constructions, the central platform decays, the other parts do not.  Once the central platform has decayed away the other parts instantly vanish with it.  The average QL of the moongate components decides decay rate.

A priest with 50 faith can use a moongate to teleport to any private moongate they have the index for or any public moongate.  (Central platform)

A priest with 70 faith can cast a spell (costing 70 favour, difficulty 80) to teleport to any private moongate they have the index for or any public moongate (Central platform).  If the index used is a slave index this damages it slightly.  Failure of this spell inflicts a severe wound (Oh my god!  You teleported JUST your arm!)

Optional Extra : A fully charged QL70+ gem can be used by ANYONE to use a moongate in the same way as a priest.  Single use only.

Optional Extra : All spawn towns have a functioning public moongate

Edited by Etherdrifter
  • Like 1

The concept of a player creatable teleport is great; however, anyone should be able to create and use them on the same basis as are Epic portals currently. To restrict them as a special bonus transit system for the main benefit of priests with these onerous conditions attached, no way.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

There already exists a teleport system in place for the elite (meditation 90 home recall).

Simply using 2000 karma for a round trip is something anyone who has access to a source fountain can do (high cost option open to everyone).

This was aimed at priests since our HUGE AND HORRIFIC RESTRICTIONS (not hinting there) force us to travel to make a wage.  It'd be nice if there were some update aimed at priests that doesn't screw us over (or wasn't just aimed at the PvP priests).

• Like 2

No one is forced to 'make a wage' the market is player choice to enter into and so is priesthood. Lots of people play quite happily never even sniffing the trade side of wurm. If you choose to offer a traveling service then you also choose to .... travel lol

-1 sorry

• Like 1

BIG ASS PLUS ONE to the one.....AKA +1 :P

And to those that say "Oh i hate it .....travel around Wurm should be as it is....and i LOVE to sail and use up most of my game time doing it"...

Well if you like it so much keep doing it.....just cus a new idea pops up and is added to the game does not mean you HAVE TO use it.

Wurm in it's self is a game where you build and play your own game....you take the parts you love and leave the parts you hate.

I for one think this is a great idea....even if i'm not a Priest.

• Like 1

Vynora and Libila, and Fo's casting LT nowadays can make BANK witout even moving from the altar. What are you talking about? 

The fact that the name alone is a direct Ultima ripoff makes this a non-starter, sorry.

The fact that the name alone is a direct Ultima ripoff makes this a non-starter, sorry.

It's a generic now I think.  I've met moongates in more worlds than the ultima one :P

Ultima Online's system of mages, runestones and runebooks was an excellent one to get anywhere within those lands. A system of this sort would serve Wurm just as well but there is some odd type of player resistance to it and the Dev's as well seem to think it is of no concern to expedite travel within these lands by such an efficient and *fast* means.

One can only hope that someday a change will be made and *all* players can just *pop* from one place to the next upon and between all servers by some means. Until then I stay close to my home deeds on 3 servers and only sail to another once, never to depart from it again, much less go wandering far upon any of them.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

I'd love a player teleport system...but this idea is bad, -1. I dont' like it because its too restrictive, both in terms of which player can use it and some of the mats needed to make it.