Sign in to follow this  
Greyfox

Rethink lock it or loose it.

+1 I thought the same when I first started. I was like oh cool I can set who can access my cart :D

Key items are a horribly inefficient and inconvenient way to handle the issue. Some hybrid of the writ, boat/cart permissions and mine door interface applied to ALL locked objects uniformly is the answer. We need to be able to allow access by name entered, checkboxes on a friends list, groups by friend/village/alliance/kingdom/everyone all in one big form.

• Like 4

Key items are a horribly inefficient and inconvenient way to handle the issue. Some hybrid of the writ, boat/cart permissions and mine door interface applied to ALL locked objects uniformly is the answer. We need to be able to allow access by name entered, checkboxes on a friends list, groups by friend/village/alliance/kingdom/everyone all in one big form.

Couldn't agree more...

Keys are inconvenient but they are also simple.

My ideal solution is similar to what you wrote. But I would take it farther and let the owner create: 1) action grouping, 2) player groupings,  and 3) let the owner assign which player group(s) use which action grouping(s). For example: create an action grouping for a large cart called "InvPass" using actions access_inventory and embark_passenger. Then, create player grouping "blueclouds" using entities: village_dog, village_cat, villagers, and player_Joedobo. Finally, give blueclouds permission InvPass. It'd be a very dynamic system making use of set logic. The game would just test of union of sets and the players would have complete freedom to design action sets and player sets.

I'm fearful that Wurm doesn't have the means to do a complex overhaul of the permission system. So I'm currently thinking that simple is better.

edit...A single key could be configured to allow multiple action on vehicles. An owner could give a key to someone that allows access to inventory or embark as passenger.

Edited by joedobo

Get rid of the key requirement for boat locks and have it be part of the boat building process.

Eliminates the need to carry either the original key or a copy of the key, also helps relieve the stress of when a person dies if they can get onto their boat or not.

Pvp servers can have the same, eliminates the lock on the boat for a certain amount of time while allowing it to be 'pirated'

On PvE servers allows owners to effortlessly transfer ownership to a new owner with out having to worry bout the boat key, copies, or if they took the lock off and it needs to be replaced.

Settings would then be the major way to prevent a boat from being stolen on a PvE server instead of 1 item that may or may not have been added to a boat After it was built.

Should definitely be included in the creation process, there is an option to allow everyone to use it if the owner doesn't wish to keep it locked.

Doesn't the wooden mine door require a lock at creation? I'm pretty sure one of the mine doors do. So it's in the game as far the "recipe" goes.