Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Friends and Trusted Friends lists

With all that is going on, It seems we should have two friends lists, or possibly a security level we can set for each friend, say 1, 2 and 3.  3 being the ultimate trust and 1 being for those "courtesy or convenience" friends.

I have some incredibly trustworthy friends on my list, that I would gladly share my rare/supreme tools with, then others on my list that have friended me, because we shared a good boss kill victory, or just did some good trades.  These people are most likely nice, honest and trustworthy, but I've not had enough experience to say for sure, that they would not let greed get the better of them - leveraging wurm's "protect the crooks rights to be crooks", to rob me blind.

So how about it? Different levels of friend security?  When I choose what level of friends can access my cart inventory, I can feel a little more secure :)  Same goes for buildings, boats, deeds, mines, etc.

• Like 10

Or the ability to add a single name to your cart/boat like you can with mine doors and houses.

• Like 10

definitely.. i never liked the fact that everyone on my "friends -list" had access to my boats and carts. this game really needs more "security" when it comes to boat access or carts... it would help if you could add names to boats and carts like we can with mine doors

Or the ability to add a single name to your cart/boat like you can with mine doors and houses.

I agree. This would be a huge bonus as well, but... Most people seem to have an alt or two these days, as well as multiple deeds (well, not sure how may do that), so I always want a certain group of friends (my alts) to always have full access, without having to add their names to every vehicle or structure.  I also don't want to just say "village" either, should I have villagers that I don't completely trust yet.

Today, we are stuck with making sacrifices to our ability to have villagers or friends.  Once, I wanted to friend someone, that was a neighbor of mine.  He politely declined and I was really offended, since we clearly had a friendship going and worked on projects together.  His reason? It would compromise his security.  Now I get it.

The other day, I was out in the field in a big group event. My good friend needed access to my cart for food, but I had about 50s of goods in the cart.  I was reluctant to give him access, not knowing which of my "other" friends would open my cart out of curiosity...

Agree with the problem but disagree with this solution. I have turned down a few people's friends request not because i don't' like them, but because I don't' trust Wurm. When you have multiple deeds the only way to really give your toons in other deeds access to vehicles is with friends permission. I also am paranoid of permission situation I'm unaware of that might exists when folks are on your friends. 

Note; the following is a little OT sorry. I'm not going to make a suggestion because 1) people wont' listen to me and 2) developer arrogance.

Imo, we need to redo the whole permission system. I would go with a very customized system. By default non-owners/non-mayors wouldn't be allowed to do anything and you would opt-in players by adding new permissions. Players would add words like: cut_down, chop_up, fish....etc. to create a permissions' group. Then, players could assign different individual or groups of individual to a permissions' group. The game would come preconfigured with the standard groups: village, alliance, kingdom, friends. You could create new groups for specific foreign villages, specific people, or groups of people.

All this should be possible by using sets and union of sets logic.

Edited by joedobo

+1 most definitely.

Associates, can see your login status but not which server (pvp reasons)
Friends, can see your login status and your server
Comrades, can see everything and are on perms

I think just the ability for one to create multiple friends lists would be nice. No need to be specific to what each list is for as that would be the user's decision. Everyone's going to have their own preference after all.

Being able to limit access abilities or set just how trusted a "friend" is would be useful regardless of how its implemented.

The whole permissions system needs a re-work to be honest, it's not very pleasant and every different type of thing (be it a minedoor or a writ) has a different system.

But while you're there... please make the friendlist auto-sort again. Please. D:

A friends list, and a seperate acquintices list would be great!

I deal with a big friendlist because a lot of people use it for seeing online times(particularly when dealing with custom enchants and orders) and it can be quite difficult to deal with boat permissions etc.

Edited by Alyeska

Once, I wanted to friend someone, that was a neighbor of mine.  He politely declined and I was really offended, since we clearly had a friendship going and worked on projects together.  His reason? It would compromise his security.  Now I get it.

The only "players" that have been on my friends list for a long while now are my alts. Somehow I am at least able to trust myself. I had only 2 -3 friends in the past because I don't like the way Wurm has this system set up. Wurmhole makes a good suggestion here to have different friends status available, if this system really wants to be more functional and secure.

=Ayes=

I would prefer access to be granted similar to a mine door, for carts, wagons, ships and forges tbh.

Add 3 lists, and people will ask for a fourth one.

I liked this suggestion: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/108495-player-groups/

I have to disagree with this logic. Asking for more than 1 list is different than asking for a 4th list when you already have 3.

With your argument, one can argue we shouldn't even have a suggestion forum due to people asking for more stuff than we already have.

Edited by Lotus1

I have to disagree with this logic. Asking for more than 1 list is different than asking for a 4th list when you already have 3.

With your argument, one can argue we shouldn't even have a suggestion forum due to people asking for more stuff than we already have.

Well I'm not against this suggestion, I'm just saying that we could use something flexible that would allow us to make infinite combinations of permissions.

But really anything would be better than the current system.