Sign in to follow this  
Fairyshine

Writ or mine door permission for forges/ovens/carts/wagons

Given the recent events I was wondering if it would be possible to give a writ or mine door permission option for all forges and ovens?  The reason is simple:  A lot of people store items inside their forges, for example frying pans, armour they are imping, weapons, magical chests, and so forth.  These items can be taken if anyone enters the house, say, by bashing a wall down.  There is no way to secure these items in any other way except by physically moving them to a chest (which you cannot do if said items are too hot to fit into the container).  If the forge has a writ/mine door permission, it would be peace of mind to log out knowing the stuff inside it is safe.

Secondly, this will give us an option to use the forge or oven as a safe inside our houses.  We can build forges and store valuables inside it locked away, not having to worry that it will be gone when we log in.

Thirdly, inside mines, where we mine together in teams but sometimes with other people there too, it would be great to only allow people mining with you, to access your forges.

The writ/permission should include the permission to load the forge as well, or alternatively, no forge should be able to be loaded while there is anything inside it.

EDIT:  Please look at cart and wagon permissions also.  I would like to specify who I want to give access to my cart by name, not a blanket "all friends" or "all allies".  I want to tick a specific name.  This can be taken a step further then:  Add a box for who  you want to give permission to be able to drag or push or pull your cart/wagon.  Then we can use locked carts and wagons inside our houses as storage for valuables, and as long as we did not give someone permission to drag/push/pull it , it will be safe inside the house, without the need of animals hitched to it (which is really not viable unless you drop grass for them all the time, or have a doughnut with enchanted grass).

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 1

Rather than permissions, allow locks to be attached.  I don't think we need more dialogue boxes and permission rules for every forge, cart and chest in the game.

Permissions should be managed at deed and building level, nothing smaller.

• Like 1

My cart has a lock. Yet I cannot just blanket tick "friends" when I allow access.  I store valuable items in my cart, so would like the option to allow just certain people access, not blanket lists of people.  If we can do it for mine doors, we should be able to do it for carts.

Store all things in buildings and just disallow destroy option for everyone but the mayor.

Everything inside is safe then.

I travel a lot, and take stuff with me.  I stay with friends on their deeds with the stuff on my cart.  I would still like the option to only allow certain people to access my carts.  And yes, it may be safe inside houses, but there could also be a bug somewhere in the future where it is not safe just stashed inside a house.

Edit:  If we have the option, it is up to our own free choice to use it or not.  At the moment we don't have the option.  I would like to have the choice to use it or not.

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 1

A tent would help, but how cumbersome to have to take all of your stuff out of your cart and place it inside the tent, whereas it would be much simpler to just leave it in the cart with the option to only allow certain people to access it.

I guess my suggestion is not to find ways around the current situation, it is a request to improve it.

Edited by Fairyshine

+1 to allowing specific people to use my cart and boat, just like minedoor 

• Like 3

seems to me like only having people you trust on your friendlist would solve your problem.

having to set permissions for every forge,oven,etc seems like a nightmare to me.

and you talk about people bashing your house and taking your stuff but that doenst happen on freedom.

i agree permissions system should be the same for everything and allowing players names but please dont add permissions for every items in game

Edited by Tpikol

The "friends" permission IS crap.

Why can't i have people i do buisness often on my friends? Or potential candidates for villagers, and whatnot? Its retarded that we can't treat the friends list as it is supposed to be, a list of contacts. You don't implicitly trust everyone on your phone book with access to your car, house or valuables? Why must we do that within the game. Its a stupid permission, it works in a stupid way, and is long overdue being changed.

• Like 5

If i ever use a cart or boat or anything to store things i dont want to give access to i give ownership of the vessel to an alt with a limited friends list. this doesnt realy work for freedom boats though because stupid pve rules but is fine for carts etc.

EDIT: For forges and ovens i say a big no, security on the deed and building level is far enough. The recent events you refer to were due to poor deed management regardless of if they are default settings or not (which they aren't iirc) 

Even though i have my solution to cart security i think the management and contact lists need work, a friends list similar to eve online in which you can set players to good/neutral/bad standings and manage permissions based on standings would be a great way of doing it.

Edited by Deathly

1.  seems to me like only having people you trust on your friendlist would solve your problem.

2.  having to set permissions for every forge,oven,etc seems like a nightmare to me.

3.  and you talk about people bashing your house and taking your stuff but that doenst happen on freedom.

1.  I agree with what Kane said:  My friends list contain the names of many people I trade with, or occasionally have a catch up session with.  Being on friends lists mean you see when they are online so you can contact them.  However, this does not mean I want to give them access to the items in my carts or wagons Edit: and ships.

2.  If you don't want to set permissions for every forge or oven, all you have to do is tick the "allow everyone to use" once.

3.  Unfortunately it did happen.  With certain deed settings people can bash house walls.  We are aware of this now, but the point is - it is possible on Freedom despite everyone thinking it was not.

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 1

There is no way to secure these items in any other way except by physically moving them to a chest (which you cannot do if said items are too hot to fit into the container).

What?  I put glowing hot stuff in chests/carts/coffins/backpacks/etc all the time....   It's just heat the only thing it affects is putting gear on a horse

-1 to locking/permissions for forges/ovens, highly unnecessary to make everything especially things people use daily complicated

What?  I put glowing hot stuff in chests/carts/coffins/backpacks/etc all the time....   It's just heat the only thing it affects is putting gear on a horse

-1 to locking/permissions for forges/ovens, highly unnecessary to make everything especially things people use daily complicated

You cannot lock coffins and backpacks.  I do not store my ores in chests or carts due to decay.  However, the point was that some people may like the option to leave the stuff they have in their forge while imping or working with it, inside the forge without worrying about the stuff being taken by others.  Furthermore, we use houses every day, don't we?  It is not a manage daily thing here, it is a one time tick a box thing.  The same argument for houses will be applicable to carts, wagons, ships, and perhaps forges.  I am sure these items, despite them being used daily, do not cause any ongoing issues?

My workaround for the broken friends list is pretty simple. My alt controls the deed and owns all the writs/boats/carts etc. I can friend whoever I want on my main toon and the 3 people who may legitimately need to use my wagon/knarr are friended on my alt. In the event I need to add someone to a writ I trade it back to my main, add them, and give it back to my alt.  It isn't a great system, but it allows me to use my friends list as more of a contacts list while still maintaining the security of my stuff.

I would rather see a Trusted or Acquintance category within the friends list. Let me specify the contacts whom I trust or let me specify who among them I do not.

My workaround for the broken friends list is pretty simple. My alt controls the deed and owns all the writs/boats/carts etc. I can friend whoever I want on my main toon and the 3 people who may legitimately need to use my wagon/knarr are friended on my alt. In the event I need to add someone to a writ I trade it back to my main, add them, and give it back to my alt.  It isn't a great system, but it allows me to use my friends list as more of a contacts list while still maintaining the security of my stuff.

I would rather see a Trusted or Acquintance category within the friends list. Let me specify the contacts whom I trust or let me specify who among them I do not.

This is a workaround the current situaion, but if you travel a lot and do not take the cart owner with you, you cannot make changes while you are out in the boondocks as the cart management is not done through a writ.  Your cart owner will have to be physically there, which means you have log it in, and have the cart in very close proximity to this alt, so you can manage the changes.  I do agree the Friends list does not work for access to carts, wagons and ships.  

im sorry you didnt know how deed permissions work and that caused you to lose some items but thats not a reason to change something that works 99% of the time. and the only reason it didnt work for you was that you didnt know how it works.

Mine door permissions for carts/forges/chests/etc sounds like a good idea, especially if they also prevent people from moving said items. By default, when you create one of these items the permission should be set so that there's no difference compared to how the system works now. This way, people who don't want to use this feature won't be impacted by it's addition into the game, thus they should have no grounds for complaints/objections. They can just ignore that it even exists as it works on an opt-in basis.

While it is true that houses usually keep things safe, it is also true that exceptions to this are possible. Having multiple lines of defense is logical, if one fails (due to a bug, an oversight or simply a mistake) then the other lines of defense will still keep your stuff safe. The recent events at Silent Hill showed exactly why a single line of defense is bad, as when it is penetrated you will lose everything. While in Silent Hills it could probably be seen as a human error by assigning the destroy setting when it shouldn't have been assigned, the next time this happens it could just as easily be a brand new bug added by the devs.

So, +1 to extra security settings, as long as they are added on an opt-in basis, so that they do not affect people whom don't want to use it. This should satisfy both the people who want the extra security settings and the people who don't want the extra complexity.

• Like 1

im sorry you didnt know how deed permissions work and that caused you to lose some items but thats not a reason to change something that works 99% of the time. and the only reason it didnt work for you was that you didnt know how it works.

Hi Tpikol, I am sure lots more people now know how deed permissions work after recent events, and yes, it is a shame people had to lose thousands of dollars of real life money value of items in the process of finding this out.  I did not lose anything, however, and I do not know where you got that assumption from. This post was made in the suggestion forum since I believe that the current settings on carts, wagons and ships are not adequate for safety/security of the contents, and it does not work 99% of the time, in fact, the changes have been requested before.  You will see many people suggesting "work arounds", indicating that the current system does not work (hence we have to work around it to try and make it work). Added security has been brought under the spotlight due to very experienced players losing valuable items, which upset a huge part of the Wurm community, and with regards to this, I am requesting a reworking of the way we give people access to our containers.  It is risky to give lists of people unrestricted access to stuff that you keep secure in locked wagons/carts/ships, or forges, for that matter.  Hence the request in the suggestion forum for writ or mine door permission to these.

• Like 1

well i have no idea what incident you are talking about so lets set that aside.

i agree that the permissions system could and should be improved (and its much better now than it used to be) but i disagree with the idea of everybody being forced to set permissions on every container they own.

but im all for having a standard system for everything that needs permissions,and allowing giving permissions to individuals players on everything.

maybe even making everything lockable,so if i dont want to use permissions on forges or whatever i just dont lock them and if others want to they can.