Sign in to follow this  
Aeris

Tragedy at Silent Hill

This is a friendly warning to make sure that noone else falls victim to this permissions workaround and also a plea for help - We would greatly appreciate it if you notified someone at Silent Hill or in the Silent Hill alliance if you see our items pop up for sale.

What happened:
A new villager was accepted into Silent Hill and he was not given any writ permissions for the time being. Apparently the "destroy buildings" permission was checked for villagers. We thought that it wasn't, but we didn't care much since we thought only the mayor could bash houses they weren't on the writ for. We were wrong, and the new villager bashed down walls on all our houses and stole everything of value. He then mocked us by posting on our website that if we want our stuff back we should have to buy it back from him on playerauctions.

Name of culprit won't be disclosed in thread since it might lead to thread removal.

Items that were stolen (far from everything, all villagers haven't added to the list yet):
- QL90 supreme forge
- QL90+ rare hammer with high enchants
- 30 or so seryll lumps ranging between ql80 and 95
- various imbues and potions
- Small magical chest, had 20 or so decay
- At least two drake sets (high-QL, black and white)
- A pile of drake gloves
- QL90 chain sets, many of them with enchants
- QL90 supreme floor loom
- QL60 or so rare grindstone
- QL60 or so supreme grindstone
- 5 rare rings of varying ql
- QL90 rare necklace
- Rare statuette of Fo
- Lots of high-QL gemstones, several of them QL95
- Several star sapphires, maybe 3
- Several rare and non-rare high-QL pendulums, both non-enchanted and enchanted (Lurker in the Deep, Lurker in the Dark, Lurker in the Woods)
- Rare staff, had decay and wasn't the best QL (.... seriously?)
- 2x QL70-80ish rare large shields
- QL70ish rare small shield
- QL90+ rare frying pan
- 4x Rare sauce pans
- Fountain backpack -> Contained lots of tools
- QL80ish Rare small anvil with enchants
- Murdered a horse and stole its highly enchanted high-QL horse shoes (possibly a saddle as well)

Addendum:
- QL80 file
- Unfinished tent (???????)
- More highly enchanted horse shoes
- Various enchanted tools
- Glimmersteel longsword with Life Transfer
- At least three Christmas gift gnomes. Farewell Rumpelstiltskin and Dobby =(

- At least two snow lanterns

- Rare cloth jacket

- Low-weight hatchet (had a flaming aura enchant)

Notes
Figured it might be an idea to add some of the signatures that might be on our items. If a suspicious looking sale pops up and you get one of these signatures on an item they're likely to be ours:
Aeris
Eliasthecrimson
Kylebooze
Dorian
Froggeryz
Hodur
Jekkumage
Cissnei

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 11

Sounds strangely similar to what happened to a few deeds on Xanadu as well.. loads of items where stolen as well this way. With a workaround around permissions, eventhough mayors were sure they were set correctly. :( 

Lost alot of rare/supreme stuff as well, not to mention a big stockpile of 75ql weapons (should all carry my signature)

Sad to hear,

I think we need to teach this person a lesson  :huh:

Who wanna lead him to PVP pls?

Edited by stonecutter1995
  • Like 2

I still wonder why GMs dont interfere with this issue. Is this really the way wurm has to be?

• Like 20

I still wonder why GMs dont interfere with this issue. Is this really the way wurm has to be?

I've also wondered about this. How can we ever actually build communities if we have to be scared every time we accept new villagers? We're completely powerless against the permission workarounds

• Like 12

well even if permissions were set for villagers to destroy buildings this is a clear case of griefing and hope the GM Staff do something about it.

• Like 22

Sounds like the stuff that goes on in EVE. Sad state of affairs. There must be some way you can warn everyone of this person. Not being able to post a thieves name is just plain silly.

Exactly how long did this person have. Looking at the list it looks lot a lot to carry.

Edited by Clatius

What I don't understand is Ive tried bashing down inactive player houses as the mayor and am unable to do so. How is it that another player can do this in the first place?

What was that post made not long ago with someone saying to look out that they asked a gm and it was fine? I am looking for it now but it might be the start to this way of theft. 

Edit: Thanks to a little help from a forum pm i found that topic..

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/114453-gg-gms-gave-us-the-greenlight/

Edited by Kegan

not only do they not interfere, but the rules and policies seem to support this behavior, since we cannot even "name and shame" them. There is nothing the community can do to stop this person/people.

So how do we go about getting something actually changed about the rules so that the staff CAN do something in this type of situation?

I understand that they must abide by their own rules.... so lets make the rules accomodate punishment in this kind of scenario.

A repeat offender of this type is obviously under the griefing category, imo. Purposefully targetting communities like this and stealing things through technicalities of the game mechanics is griefing. 

• Like 8

If the developers are going to remove themselves from policing this activity...then they should remove themselves from policing the community that is protecting itself.  It protects itself by using the tools that most communities use..like reputation.  Not only should name and shame be allowed...there should be a section dedicated to it in the forums.

Edited by saraie
  • Like 24

We would like to send our appreciation to all the people who've sent us nice messages both here and ingame, thank you all. It's really appreciated!

• Like 2

I'd point out that I was recently told by gm's that if you can steal it on/off deed using a macro or otherwise you're in the clear, deed owners beware!

So sorry this happened to you guys. That is a theft of a very significant dollar amount. Since this seems to be a serial offender and not a one time deed-permission mistake (thief is targeting players with intent) i would really expect GM intervention

• Like 2

In the real world, if you invite someone to come live at your house, then they take all your silver dishes, jewelry and your car, do the police just shrug it off and say "well, you invited them in, so you essentially said it was alright for them to steal"????

Since these digital items have real world value, CC needs to take some responsibility to in these situations.  In fact, there are plenty of situations where virtual goods are being covered by real life law, so CC needs to think hard on this.

Stealing 100e from someone should not be taken lightly.  If I found a way to take 100e of value from one of the starter towns, I can assure you I would be banned in 2 seconds.

Freedom should not mean "Free to take anything I can, because someone trusted me".

Clatius mentions Eve, where these things happen and yes, they do, but the entire game is PvP based, so I think the makers of Eve is not responsible to police it.  But Freedom is a non pvp land. It makes it a lot less enjoyable and makes me a lot less likely to renew 10-20 prem accounts, knowing that CC will do nothing to protect us.

Edited by Wurmhole
  • Like 5

Starting with fences rule removal, the policy - in my opinion - goes toward encouraging griefing and harassment on Freedom.

In many situations, we are closely to PvP behavior and some people tend to take "freedom" as "freedom to do whatever they want to do", knowing well nobody will interfere and punish them for abusing others.

Those choosing to play on PvE servers, those choosing to be carebears and not willing to deal with thieving, griefing, break-ins, neverending fights, those - who just happens to be the large majority of Wurm players - should benefit of more protection. Freedom and Epic are different worlds, they should live following different rules.

Unfortunately, this isn't the situation, and while there should be a very determined community asking for different rules and a better reinforcement of them, right now there isn't much to do, other than spreading the word - not on forums, as threads would go poof, poor innocent thieves cannot be named and shamed - from people to people in an attempt to make the bad seeds known and easier to avoid.

I'm sorry for your loss, but that doesn't mean you have to lose trust in anyone. I've learned that in hard times you find out you still have friends and there are people who care.

It's sad things like this happens, and I hope for everyone they will never have to deal with this kind of people ...

Edited by Evening
  • Like 4

Sorry to hear about your lost , but sites like playerauction make it easy for such players to sell there goods.

Thats why i hate the idea of Wurm asking players to use it.

But i think you shuold be able to name the player , since so much much was taken and then troll you on forum.

I believe you can notify Player Auctions that is it stolen goods and they might actually remove the listings and review the case.  So worth watching there as well.

• Like 2

Becket hit the nail on the head here.

Play Nice Or We Will Rip Your Heart Out
 (griefing)

Definition:
 Activities that are not constructive and with deliberate intent to do harm to others.

A ) You may not block access to deeds, merchants, or structures not belonging to you.

B ) You may not call guards to kill penned animals on deeds you are not a citizen of. (They ain't hurting you!)

C ) You may not steal deeds from the original mayor or residing citizens.

- resident citizens on democratic deeds may vote a new mayor for any reason.

D ) *under construction*

This should be covered in the griefing section.

We need a line added which would allow the GMs to assist.

Let's not enable this type of behavior please.

sad to hear this, if i can help you out in any way Aeris, just drop me a pm ;)

• Like 1

I agree this is scamming with intent to steal.  You make the person believe you want to be part of a village and then steal.  I believe this is called fraud.

• Like 4