Sign in to follow this  
Aeris

Tragedy at Silent Hill

You do realize that by making this thread you are giving them exactly that they want with this thread right?

It was mainly done for attention and to create drama.

You do realize that by making this thread you are giving them exactly that they want with this thread right?

It was mainly done for attention and to create drama.

• Like 7

DO the right thing ! and return the items to the owners and put in the game new code so this Never has to happen again on our beloved freedom servers, thank you

• Like 1

of what the player was doing that is not even a question if it was griefing, as example that he wrote those same villagers a message later, that, if they want their stuff back, they have to buy it from him...there is probably even a log about it.

It was, and still is, right here in our village shoutbox actually: http://silenthillvillage.x10.mx/

Ok... .all the thief defenders... "it's the victim's fault because..." crowd...

EXPLAIN THE GODDAMN DEED SETTINGS IN DETAIL.

EXPLAIN WHICH ONE OVERRIDES WHICH ONE, IN DETAIL.

Be sure to give examples... ALL THE SETTINGS.

Also be thorough, explain which setting needs to be enable to make other ones work, and explain which setting gets overriden by which ones in which specific case.

And don't forget your exact deed coordinates.

"Deed it or lose it" my ass, more like "deed it and hope no one hits you with every loophole known to Wurm", and from the looks of it given the Xanadu case, "deed it and see what you manage to not lose".

As to "why the outrage now?"  ... It's always the same outrage, it just seems like this time the "theifs r kewl kek" crowd is being shown for the scummy minority it is.

Way rules stand and who gets covered in cases of blatant griefing and abuse and who gets told to shut it... I give Wurm 2014's final Wilfred Award:

tumblr_mktpgb3JWS1ry10fwo1_500.gif

Edited by Mordraug
  • Like 2

I have a villager joining me for the first time, so I went to make sure all the role settings were as they should be. I noticed something very odd, which is that you get the "The destroy Buildings option enables theft" warning REGARDLESS of whether I checked or unchecked it!! There must surely be a bug here? And perhaps this is the reason this has happened?

Oh and crikey, I almost forgot to say how sorry I am to hear this happened to you guys. Just horrible horrible!! I hope something is done and you get your stuff back!

Edited by Malena

Looks to me, by a very quick glance at list, that there is more than 2 or even 3g worth of items stole here.  I would contact the Police in your area and ask about their closest available cyber crimes unit.  This is a serious real world crime that can be tracked and could hold even more serious implications due to it more than likely being more than one country involved.

These items are worth REAL WORLD money and REAL WORLD Police should be involved ASAP!  More than likely, CC would be contacted and asked for an IP (forcing them to get involved and do the right thing)... Which would be followed by a REAL WORLD arrest of the thief, not only keeping Wurm a safer place for honest people, but also the people in his/her REAL WORLD community should know they are living near a person that will break into your house and steal your stuff!

• Like 3

I have stayed away from this thread and haven't read all of it but seriously, please calm your bloodthirst man. Witch hunters should not be running this game with their tiny iron fists.

But hey, who cares about bugs anyway, when all you want is to ban players for playing by the rules, right?

Bloodthirst? Witch hunters? Whatever your grudge is here against me is not the issue at hand. Best to stay away from that and focus on the issue of a person who joins a deed with the express intent to steal from all the players houses that they can break into. If you see this as "playing by the rules", you are sorely lacking in the moral ethics that go way beyond this game.

The problem here is not with the deed settings but rather with the individual and associates who have taken advantage of them to enrich themselves. All this other extraneous input (such as yours) just diverts attention from the culprits, serves their purposes in that respect and is no doubt appreciated by them from those who unwittingly focus upon it.

More explanations of the deed settings are all fine and dandy for future reference but what needs to be dealt with is to remove these types of scammers from the game and block the sale of all the items that they have absconded with. This would be a fair and just response, not to defend their actions on the basis of game mechanics allowing it, or gee nothing like this was done to help me in the past so why should anything be done to help these others now.

=Ayes=

Looks to me, by a very quick glance at list, that there is more than 2 or even 3g worth of items stole here.  I would contact the Police in your area and ask about their closest available cyber crimes unit.  This is a serious real world crime that can be tracked and could hold even more serious implications due to it more than likely being more than one country involved.

These items are worth REAL WORLD money and REAL WORLD Police should be involved ASAP!  More than likely, CC would be contacted and asked for an IP (forcing them to get involved and do the right thing)... Which would be followed by a REAL WORLD arrest of the thief, not only keeping Wurm a safer place for honest people, but also the people in his/her REAL WORLD community should know they are living near a person that will break into your house and steal your stuff!

I've even read of such cases where people were eventually arrested for stealing in game items, so if in the end the Wurm staff doesn't do anyting about it then the above proposal could be an alternative to try. But hopefully the GMs will take care of the matter themselves.

Edited by Ecrir

Sorry to hear this, hopefully the GM's will do the right thing, return all items and ban every single one of the offenders. :(

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/114453-gg-gms-gave-us-the-greenlight

Wonder what this has to do with what happend here.

I was not directly involved, but this happend to a deed in my alliance and as far as I understood the events, nosfirebird broke into a deed named West Harbour (on Xanadu) on the 9th or 10th of december via a character he bought. He managed to get in via a different way, but with a similar outcome: killing horses, broke into houses, stole stuff, set the deed to disband and then when the deed mayor found out, he hired spirit guards to empty the deed's upkeep and what not...

How can you make the game attractive to potential and new players when things like this are tolerated? How does it make the game and its community look like? I believe it is time for the GMs to respond accordingly.

Edited by Bittereinder

I was not directly involved, but this happened to a deed in my alliance and as far as I understood the events, nosfirebird broke into a deed named West Harbour (on Xanadu) on the 9th or 10th of december via a character he bought.

He managed to get in via a different way, but with a similar outcome: killing horses, broke into houses, stole stuff, set the deed to disband and then when the deed mayor found out, he hired spirit guards to empty the deed's upkeep and what not...

How can you make the game attractive to potential and new players when things like this are tolerated? How does it make the game and its community look like? I believe it is time for the GMs to respond accordingly.

Whahaha nosfire :3

Apparently you can't. I find it very... stupid... to make destroy option override any writ on the deed regardless if the villager/ally is allowed access to the writ. Once that wall is down, any goon in the kingdom is allowed access to the writ. The checkbox to allow no picking up doesn't override that one eh? There should be a box that pops up that says, "If you allow planting, you are implicitly allowing picking up, regardless of the check box in picking up." "If you allow bashing, you are implicitly allowing destruction of anything on the deed, regardless of writ permissions." What other little gems are hidden in there? If we allow fishing, do we implicitly allow something else? The very least that could be done is checking one box unchecks the other.

My deed is now walled off in its entirety save the frontal road. ANY asshattery that happens around my deed whatsoever, that will be walled off also. Deed it or lose it indeed. Wall it off 3 walls thick afterwards as well. If the game wants mechanics like this, I need just one checkbox now... LOCK GATES.

Edited by Audrel

I have stayed away from this thread and haven't read all of it but seriously, please calm your bloodthirst man. I for one would not play a game where mob rule can ban a player for not having broken any game rules. Witch hunters should not be running this game with their tiny iron fists.

all you want is to ban players for playing by the rules, right?

Bloodthirst? Witch hunters? Whatever your grudge is here against me is not the issue at hand. Best to stay away from that and focus on the issue of a person who joins a deed with the express intent to steal from all the players houses that they can break into. If you see this as "playing by the rules", you are sorely lacking in the moral ethics that go way beyond this game.

what needs to be dealt with is to remove these types of scammers from the game and block the sale of all the items that they have absconded with. This would be a fair and just response

=Ayes=

For your further insight and understanding of this particular incident refer to this locked Auction thread: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/116008-wta-jimmybrasher/

From this action taken one might infer that the powers that be are not considering this participant to be "playing by the rules". Perhaps they have joined your presumed "witch hunt" then?

=Ayes=

Apparently you can't. I find it very... stupid... to make destroy option override any writ on the deed regardless if the villager/ally is allowed access to the writ. Once that wall is down, any goon in the kingdom is allowed access to the writ. The checkbox to allow no picking up doesn't override that one eh? There should be a box that pops up that says, "If you allow planting, you are implicitly allowing picking up, regardless of the check box in picking up." "If you allow bashing, you are implicitly allowing destruction of anything on the deed, regardless of writ permissions." What other little gems are hidden in there? If we allow fishing, do we implicitly allow something else? The very least that could be done is checking one box unchecks the other.

My deed is now walled off in its entirety save the frontal road. ANY asshattery that happens around my deed whatsoever, that will be walled off also. Deed it or lose it indeed. Wall it off 3 walls thick afterwards as well. If the game wants mechanics like this, I need just one checkbox now... LOCK GATES.

That's Wurm for you! â„¢

Happy to see people on Freedom doing PvP things.

Now I have to hear someone making dirtwalls.

Also, don't forget to thanks Rolf for that.

Edited by Alec

Cyber theft is a crime since the game developers give value to items and in game currency. Ultimately the developers will be at fault unless action is taken to remedy the situation. Code club has said they honor other nations laws and disallowed gambling in game because they could be held accountable for their actions. Being that stealing is illegal in every country this should be taken very seriously and changed from now on. If people wanted to they do have a legal right to demand compensation or action will be taken accordingly.

This isn't funny and is a no brainer, ban the offenders and replace the items.

That's Wurm for you! â„¢

Happy to see people on Freedom doing PvP things.

Now I have to hear someone making dirtwalls.

Also, don't forget to thanks Rolf for that.

Again, if I wanted to do PvP crap I would be on a PvP server.

Edit: I was rude. Sorry.

Edited by Audrel

Cyber theft is a crime since the game developers give value to items and in game currency. Ultimately the developers will be at fault unless action is taken to remedy the situation. Code club has said they honor other nations laws and disallowed gambling in game because they could be held accountable for their actions. Being that stealing is illegal in every country this should be taken very seriously and changed from now on. If people wanted to they do have a legal right to demand compensation or action will be taken accordingly.

This isn't funny and is a no brainer, ban the offenders and replace the items.

Sadly the case can be made and will be made that no theft happened. The people that did this broke no game rules, what they did was within the rights that they have based upon the settings that the deed owner set. In the end regardless of how sad this is, and regardless of what they did was right or wrong, what they did broke no game rules if they indeed did it the way as described. Unless they broke a rule, there should be no action against them. I don't like to take that position, but in reality it is the only position that can be taken. The rules should be changed yes, things should be modified to help stop "legal stealing" but until that happens, this will continue.

One way to think about it as not even being greifing is the fact that the rules allow for the bashing of walls if the deed settings are set. But even off deed. You can build an enclosure and it is greifing to bash down the wall and walk away, there was no purpose but to grief, however if they were to bash down that same wall for the purpose of getting to the items / horses / what ever is behind the wall, then it is not greifing. They had an intent to steal, which is legal in the game, not an intent to grief. You could say that stealing is grieifing, but in the end, stealing is allowed if done withing the game rules.

It is the rules that need to be changed or modified to help prevent these things. Again I say I am in no way in support of the people that did this, but its a slippery slope when you start banning people for not breaking the rules. Change the rules then ban them when they break them.

• Like 1

I don't know if you are being a smart alack or trolling me again. If I wanted to do PvP crap I would be on a PvP server. As it is, about the only difference between the two is I can't cut your hands off for thievery.

I think he was being serious....what you said you are doing is the very thing that people do on PvP to secure their deeds, so by default people are starting to take the same measures on PvE that people do on PvP. As sad as that is, I do the same as you Audrel, in the process of locking an walling everything off. An island of one.

I think he was being serious....what you said you are doing is the very thing that people do on PvP to secure their deeds, so by default people are starting to take the same measures on PvE that people do on PvP. As sad as that is, I do the same as you Audrel, in the process of locking an walling everything off. An island of one.

The erosion of Freedom continues. Just flip the switch, let the carebears leave in droves, and see what is left without us.

Again, if I wanted to do PvP crap I would be on a PvP server.

Edit: I was rude. Sorry.

Wow goddamn i hope the person responsible of the stealing will be punished accordingly. Because that is damn blackmailing right there!

NO ONE MESSES WITH SILENT HILL

• Like 1

Don't worry, that was what I meant.

Why the hell are you doing PvP tactics on a PvE server?

Wurm's PvE is gone after the first week(house, cotton, armor and weapons and 'nuff FS to fight everything and a horse to run what you can't fight), then all that is left is PvP.

There's something flawed with the PvE design.

Areis I would love to help in anyway i can but i am jest light worker with not a lot if skill.

And to add. This is not a pvp situation anymore this is a problem against gm for not designing the permisons correctly because form what i have been reading This is NOT the FIRST TIME

Edited by Chiron