Sign in to follow this  
Aeris

Tragedy at Silent Hill

[11:31:53] You cry over the corpse of old lightningflint.  My poor horse.  He was always so nice to everyone.   :(

At least he didn't kill all our good horses in the pens, just the one in my office.

Hate to say it but on chaos he would get named, shamed hunted down and put to death all within the hour. Stuff like this is why i dislike pve, it just limits you in your freedom which is what wurms about to me. Anway dont want to turn it into a pve vs pvp forum fight here

I wish you luck with finding your stuff and i will pm you if i find anything belonging to you

• Like 1

i thought at some point they had stealing/griefing with intention pretty much covered, specially when there is chatlogs about him bragging about it!

This is disappointing from such a nice village.

Thanks for pointing out 'destroy buildings' works for all villagers, as like yourselves I thought this was limited to Deed Mayor or writ owners.

• Like 3

Mayors get a damage bonus, possible 3 or 4 whacks, where a villager may take twice or more to do.

Edited by bigsteve

Horrible news.  I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to use the language I'd like to on here so I'll just leave it at that.

Maybe in the Christmas spirit we should have a community whip-round for SH to help them replace their lost good.

In the meantime I hope we can return to them anything bought from the thief.

Seems like one of the many dumb Wurm bugs out there should be addressed ASAP but will never happen.

For a villager to be able to bash a building that they don't own the writ for and are not on the writ for WTF ?!?!?!

Just dumb.......

It's a shame that the world is full of A holes like this :(

• Like 1

Btw this same guy after he bought this account cleaned the village out the account belonged to.

The alternative is that you end up with indestructable houses that you can't touch on your own deed, when a villager builds a house and keeps the writh. Then you're being griefed on your own deed forever, as those houses take virtually no decay. At least now the major has full control to set the rules. Apparantly nobody here even considers the consequences.

Edited by Judicator
  • Like 1

We have been actively discussing this issue overnight as there are several conflicts that we s a team must address.  I feel this is not in the spirit of Freedom Isles and is griefing.  As Wurm Online is a sandbox game, we want to be very careful about developing our rules as we prefer not to interfere with the open capabilities in the game world. 

This is not the last word on this issue.  We are still reviewing certain aspects of this.

• Like 59

Thank you Enki, we appreciate greatly that the case is being looked at. It has caused a lot of stress for all our active villagers and probably to others as well since I doubt that we were the first victims.

• Like 3

Enki, this is a hard thing you will need to think over. If you give these people their items back, you will have multiple others asking why theirs wernt returned also.

Edited by Redd
  • Like 1

Enki, this is a hard thing you will need to think over. If you give these people their items back, you will have multiple others asking why theirs wernt returned also.

By banning the guy/s who did it he will also prevent others from having to ask for their stuff back in the future. Just a thought.

I understand that the whole GM intervention borders the sandbox spirit of the game, but so does not being protected from griefers even on a paid for deed. Also the fact that griefers cannot be named on the forums while they are allowed to sell goods on the forums that they acquired by abusing permission workarounds and deliberately joining deeds with the pure intent of doing so. In a PvE environment the deed settings and the GMs are the only tools we have to get back what has been wrongfully taken.

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 10

This is truly horrible, and I have only sympathy for your losses. 

To the staff: if the rules allow (and, in fact, actively support) this sort of asshattery, then the rules are broken and urgently need fixing.  End of story.

• Like 3

What happened:

A new villager was accepted into Silent Hill and he was not given any writ permissions for the time being. Apparently the "destroy buildings" permission was checked for villagers. We thought that it wasn't, but we didn't care much since we thought only the mayor could bash houses they weren't on the writ for. We were wrong, and the new villager bashed down walls on all our houses and stole everything of value. He then mocked us by posting on our website that if we want our stuff back we should have to buy it back from him on playerauctions.

To be clear this is not the Silent Hill on Xanadu. This is a horrible, shitty thing for someone to do.  I remember when the rules said something along the lines of "just because you can doesn't mean you should" it looks like that has been taken away from Freedom and I'd really like to see it back.  The whole "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should" was one component that drew me to the game and decide to start my own deeds, the thought that if someone really screwed me over it would be taken care of.  

We all have to learn the hard way about something at some point. Our lesson was that when you build a building you still had to put locks on it or the writ permissions were meaningless. You said it yourself though, you left yourself open by not changing your settings when taking an unknown variable onto your deed. Considering the number of horror stories like this on the forums I don't see how one wouldn't take precautions (especially when they have lots of valuables), then again I am also a paranoid player and others are more trusting.

I disagree with others views on naming/shaming on the Wurm forums (take it private), that would allow anyone to name/shame without evidence. Logs can be faked, ppl in local can be innocent bystanders etc, there is no way to show hard proof unless you have screen shots without employee support. This all falls back on the GM (or someone in charge) being able to take action against griefing of this nature. 

As far as PlayerAuctions... I wish you the best of luck, maybe they will give you an in store credit on your stolen items...   While I don't have anything of real value to donate to your cause, I do have an unfinished military tent (just needs a shaft), and if you need any BS work up to 75ql I'm happy to help shoot me a pm.  

• Like 4

Touching a man's goods and griefing is tolerated, touching a public road isn't. :rolleyes:

GG, Rolf would say.

Edited by Bittereinder
  • Like 4

This is awful. It really shows how terrible some people can be, betraying others willing to take them in like that. 

If the rules allow this, then they clearly are not with the spirit of freedom and need to be fixed.

sorry to hear, seeing things like this happen is the only reason i live alone :(

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about this, please pm the name so I can help spread it around. It's horrible that the forum policies prevent the malefactor from being named.

They need to be banned. No if's and's or but's about it. 

• Like 2

This is  shameful that  a person can repeatedly  and deliberately  cause so much heartache.      No one  needs this sort of victimisation, especially in a game.     If it is  illegal to name and shame publicly -   is it illegal  for  us to  be pm'd with the name so we can  all  kos.???    My heart goes out to those  taken advantage of  by  this/these cowardly bullies.     Abusing trust  is the worst possible crime imho.    

• Like 1

There should be a alert system warning mayors when new ppl join and have access to containers at once. this would avoid such things, and with one click a mayor could deactive that system after the player joined and no alert went off or the mayor trusts him.

since the security rules and permission rules are pretty much and sometimes complicated, its easy to oversee things(obviously) and - even when here is the typical sort of naive people, that blame the owners of the village - lose very precious things.

• Like 1

You said it yourself though, you left yourself open by not changing your settings when taking an unknown variable onto your deed. Considering the number of horror stories like this on the forums I don't see how one wouldn't take precautions (especially when they have lots of valuables), then again I am also a paranoid player and others are more trusting.

It wasn't that we "left it open", but there are no warnings in the permissions that say that you can bash houses you are not on the writ for so we didn't care much about that setting. It was just generally assumed that only the mayor would have such omnipotent power over deed houses since you need to have the setting checked for lots of other occasions. We've really tried our hardest to keep all the settings up to date so that none of the harmful ones would backfire like this. Can't have everything unchecked for new villagers since that'd end up severly crippling them, leaving them unable to do anything.

Thank you, and all others, for the concern you've shown for our losses. If nothing else we can at least raise awareness about the flawed mechanics at work here...

• Like 3

Aeris,

I am sorry to read that your good intentions have been betrayed and taken advantage of by a person like this. Although your deed settings allowed this to be available to be done, this does not change the intent and results of this individual taking advantage of them. In instances like this well documented and backed up by other reliable players of good reputation such as yourselves, the GM's should definitely step in and ban a players like this from the game with undue haste, so that these items can be recovered before they are sold off by the perpetrator.

One thing I must say however is that as mentioned in the OP the deed settings allowed this to happen, which as admitted could have been prevented this from occurring. This does not excuse this individual from taking advantage of them and allowing them to get away with what looks to be joining a Village with the intent to steal whatever they could from it that the settings would allow. This points to an experienced player with the intent to join Villages to steal from others by testing various Village settings to see if they could betray their kind offer of joining the Village, to rip off whatever they could.

Also PlayerAuctions would fit right in with this ability to sell these items, whereas within the Wurm forums they would never get away with doing this. Something to consider as well. Although I would never invite another player to join my Villages who I had not known for years and trusted, others may be more open in helpful consideration to invite them in. I would hate to see Wurm turn into early Ultima Online where these types of scams are glorified and nothing is done by the powers that be to crush these types of miscreants into dust that is blown like chaff into the winds of eternity.

=Ayes=

• Like 10