Sign in to follow this  
Audrel

Freedom Shield Training

So I am trying to train shields on PvE. It does not seem dueling and letting a friend beat the snot out of you does anything. Cows and bulls were doing fine until 15 points. I seem now to only gain a tiny amount on bashing but very infrequently. Should I move to a bison? Or just hit myself over the head with the shield and get my huge axe back out?

You should be using a low ql shield for training. At 15 skill, I would train on a horse with a 20 or so ql shield. Let the shield drop to 1ql through repairs and don't improve. When the gain slows down, switch to normal mode, then to aggressive when it slows down more. At higher levels, you can use more powerful mobs if you can withstand the hits. Experienced players will train on champ trolls after dominating them and removing the clubs.

Shield bashing can be useful if you ever plan to PvP. It's pretty useless in PvE, but it is a good idea to get to 20 skill regardless. At that point, you should be fine to train in actual combat if you need to skill it after you're done AFKing on a penned mob. At higher skills, shield bashing can add a bit of value if you decide to sell your account.

If you can put a barding on the horse, it will negate the damage from punching it. A bison has enough armor to do the same. If you do use a barding, remember to repair. Repair your shield often as well. CoC and sleep bonus help a lot.

The huge axe is fun and deals a lot of damage, but having a shield and a good LT weapon with high fight/weapon/shield skills allows you to kill anything up to a regular troll and end at full health.

Edited by SotG_is_OP
  • Like 3

Switched to a horse with chain barding. The horse is better armored than I am now. LOL Gained 0.35 after switching from a bull that was giving practically no gain at all.

Since I am making my own shield as I go, it's nice and low at 15. You can imp it up while you wait to heal after the horse beats the snot out of you for a while.

About your sig: Did he mean to you or your armor? I couldn't tell.

Edited by Audrel

Bonus to armor. Still a bit vague, but I think I understand. Everyone always says that rare armor doesn't do anything, so I went off of that to interpret what he said, use some math, and come up with something that would fit. What I think happens:

> bonus is 3% for rare, 6% for supreme, 9% for fantastic

> the bonus is to efficiency, not directly to damage reduction

EXAMPLE:

This type of work needs to be done in terms of damage, not damage reduction, so different multipliers are used. Percents are converted to decimals and subtracted from 1 to get the multipliers. This example will use 85ql plate at roughly 68.5% damage reduction (because that is what I wear).

1 - 0.685 = 0.315

This needs to be multiplied by another multiplier that represents the 3% bonus to efficiency. This bonus is multiplied to modify the total damage reduction, not added as a flat bonus to damage reduction.

1 - 0.03 = 0.97

Multiply the two values to get the end multiplier.

0.97 * 0.315 = 0.30555

To test the results, a base damage of 30 before any damage reduction will be used. It will be reduced by both multipliers. In this kind of armor, you would generally only take this much damage from a troll or a very weak player.

30 * 0.315 = 9.45

30 * 0.30555 = 9.1665

Lastly is the difference in damage.

9.45 - 9.1665 = 0.2835

As another test, assume a base damage of 70. You would generally only take this much damage from a very strong mob (champ troll) or another player.

70 * 0.315 = 22.05

70 * 0.30555 = 21.2885

22.05 - 21.2885 = 0.7615

These differences are distinguishable in mathematical form, but there is no noticeable difference in an actual combat scenario due to the RNG. The window in which the RNG can pick a damage value (which is done before reduction) is much wider than the 3% bonus, thus making the difference unnoticeable and generally useless. 

• Like 1

I have heard conflicting reports on using low ql shields.

As someone with considerable time shield grinding, using a low ql shield is vital to gaining at all, similar to CoC low QL tools for skill gain, it works just as much for shields. So

Lower = Better

CoC = Better

Cows are awesome, got skill from them till 50 skill without any problem, make sure to target something else standing at distant spot while training on the cow, so that you dont hurt the cow, and if you wear 50+ ql plate, then the cow cannot hurt you, just have to take care of stamina and shield damage if you train this way, good luck!

Also, be sure to use a small shield, as the shield bash timer is reduced compared to a medium/large, or so I'm told.

High QL shield at low shield skill level so you can block and get points....

when you have better shield skill you can move to lower ql shield.... as you will then be able to block

My tip: You need 3 cows, low ql shield with lots of coc and rake as a weapon. Use SB and beat those poor animals close to death and switch to another cow when gains get low.

As someone with considerable time shield grinding, using a low ql shield is vital to gaining at all, similar to CoC low QL tools for skill gain, it works just as much for shields. So

Lower = Better

CoC = Better

True for smaller mobs, however your cr/skill seems to play a heavy roll in difficulty.  For me, horses barely give any skill at all, so I use a hell scorp since it's relatively "low" damage and high armor but aggressive animals shred low ql shields apart.  A 1ql shield on a greenish croc lasted like 20 seconds before poofing, so 30-40ql shield seems to work great for me.

Also, be sure to use a small shield, as the shield bash timer is reduced compared to a medium/large, or so I'm told.

I've grinded all shields but mainly large metal and small wooden, and everything, literally everything is exactly the same.  If there's even any difference somehow, you can't even notice it.

Pro tip:  if you don't care about weaponless (which you won't really get a whole super lot from if training in full armor), use a bigger pen and target something in the distance (enough tiles away you dont actively fight it) that is hitched/saddled so it doesn't move, and you don't actually hit the animal you're training.  It's just like when you have an old mob targetted while hunting, you don't hit the new one but you keep blocking and can bash.  It's important that they are in the same pen, otherwise if there is a wall between you and the targetted animal you can't shield bash

• Like 2

True for smaller mobs, however your cr/skill seems to play a heavy roll in difficulty.  For me, horses barely give any skill at all, so I use a hell scorp since it's relatively "low" damage and high armor but aggressive animals shred low ql shields apart.  A 1ql shield on a greenish croc lasted like 20 seconds before poofing, so 30-40ql shield seems to work great for me.

I've grinded all shields but mainly large metal and small wooden, and everything, literally everything is exactly the same.  If there's even any difference somehow, you can't even notice it.

Pro tip:  if you don't care about weaponless (which you won't really get a whole super lot from if training in full armor), use a bigger pen and target something in the distance (enough tiles away you dont actively fight it) that is hitched/saddled so it doesn't move, and you don't actually hit the animal you're training.  It's just like when you have an old mob targetted while hunting, you don't hit the new one but you keep blocking and can bash.  It's important that they are in the same pen, otherwise if there is a wall between you and the targetted animal you can't shield bash

I noticed the same on shield damage. I was using a 15QL one and it got beaten to a pulp in no time and I saw no skilling difference between a large and (medium?) plain shield.

The best pro tip was targeting another critter that is off in the distance. Seems I can punch a farm animal silly without trying hard.

I do think I ran into an old bug with shield bashing though... if I use focus and get interrupted, I can no longer bash. I have to leave battle and reenter to get the ability back.

I noticed the same on shield damage. I was using a 15QL one and it got beaten to a pulp in no time and I saw no skilling difference between a large and (medium?) plain shield.

The best pro tip was targeting another critter that is off in the distance. Seems I can punch a farm animal silly without trying hard.

I do think I ran into an old bug with shield bashing though... if I use focus and get interrupted, I can no longer bash. I have to leave battle and reenter to get the ability back.

You mean the "you are too busy to do that" ? Yeah that is annoying. I use high ql shield as you get gain when you block and you will block much more with high ql. Doing pretty good, but no 90 skills in shields so i am not so sure about the high ql/low ql. (And i am using a coc97 shield + SB) . I did not get any skillgain with ql 1 shield but at ql 40+ i did get some amount,

At low skill, start with a 50ql-ish shield to actually block and let it wear down as you grind. A pig will get you a long way. :)

:-/ I killed my pigs. The desire for bacon got the better of me.

• Like 1