Sign in to follow this  
Hordern

Great White Shark

Here's the pic I took that I mentioned 3 posts above:

Breach01watermarked_zps1c9d494e.jpg

Just Wow.  That is a perfect shot.

The power these creatures have is just amazing, beautiful, and deadly.

Perhaps the data in the 1940s was removed due to the fatalities during WW2, as discussed in Jaws very dramatically.

We fear / respect these creatures because they are some of the most perfect killing machines on earth.  They own their domain, which we enjoy playing in.  Thankfully, most humans remain unnoticed.  If the sharks learn about humans current average body mass index, this may change :P

Thanks for the cool photo!

Just Wow.  That is a perfect shot.

In 8 months of working, that's the only hunting breach I managed to capture. Hunting didn't really kick off until June anyway, and it was more or less over by mid September last year, and I wasn't allowed to have my camera out when the boss was on board, so I had very limited opportunities to get one. Fortunately he went for a conference for 2 weeks in Sept, and I was fortunate enough to finally get this (and the images that go each side of course as I had mutiple exposures running). It could have been better with a newer camera. My Nikon D200 is really showing its age compared to some of the latest cameras and lenses availabl these days.

In the 1940's we had WW2, that included a var large amount of extra boats and people in the water.

I was way too young when I saw Jaws. I am mortified of any amount of water where I cant see the bottom, as I am 110% a very large shark will jump up and eat me.

However I am also very fond of nature, so I have come to the conclution that if I stay out of water deeper than 20cm or with less chlorine than bleach, there should be a chance I am safe enough to enjoy watching sharks on the various TV shows. They are truly facinating. I am all for preseversation of them.

• Like 1

As for wounding to kill, I know that the White Sharks in the Galapagos hunt elephant seals underwater, and those things are BIG. I shall ask a mate of mine who runs trips out there exactly how the hunting happens. It might well be they take the style of attack you mention rather than what I'm used to seeing which is mostly preying on youngish cape fur seals which are considerably smaller.

The thing about sharks is that if you are out in the ocean mostly upon the surface of the water, you will rarely see them below. This makes them different than land predators in relation to humans being able to keep a weary eye out for the land based ones and then making some attempt to avoid them.

For all the many hours that I have spent out on the ocean I have rarely seen a shark fin nearby on the surface of the water, much less their whole bodies. When I do see their fins surface I just remain still rather than thrashing about, keeping calm until they continue to swim off on their way. Most of the surface attacks I believe are because the motion of the person attracts the shark, along with the shape they observe of this object.

Great white sharks then are the ultimate boogey man for those who fear what they can not avoid through the use of their vision. For them it is always about what might be there, although of course it is more likely that it is not. Still, there are known areas within the ocean that have a much greater population of these great whites and when entering the water there at least this should be taken into consideration.

Living life in fear of what might happen has never been my thing anyway. Best to enjoy life to the fullest while here without being reckless about it. The power of the ocean has always concerned me much more than anything that I can not see below the surface of it, sharks included.

=Ayes=

I tried Shark Cage diving in Hawaii few years back. I'm a huge fan of a diving and simple snorkling, Red, Black sea, Egypt, Turkey, Hawaii

Surely, shark cage tour was very special expierence, but, i guess its a question of a taste.

Honestly, maybe it was just old stereotypes, but i was F* scared most of the time and emotions werent quite the same when just diving and enjoying corals, exotic fishes in a "dreamy, relaxed state"

It was bit more of a adrenaline rush, like when doing extreme/water sports, not as much relaxing as regular diving.

And i'm just more into relaxing stuff rather then adrenaline ;)

So, thanks, but no thanks, wont try that again