Sign in to follow this  
Atlas

Question: Grind Metallurgy efficiently

Im mixing a 64kg copper lump with small lumps of tin for skill gain. I put CoC on the copper lump and compared it to a copper lump without CoC: the CoC seems to have no effect

• Can you use CoC for increased metallurgy skillgain?
  • am I doing this correctly?

Thanks in advance!

Atlas

Edited by Atlas
  • Like 1

Try one big lump of tin with coc and use that on the copper. Believe Tin, Zinc, and Coal are the items that need woa/coc.

• Like 3

Try one big lump of tin with coc and use that on the copper. Believe Tin, Zinc, and Coal are the items that need woa/coc.

^ This.

Copper was the lump that was active

Ok, i'll put CoC on tin. thanks

With metallurgy its somewhat confusing to distinguish which lump is the tool and which is the target. Would you choose to put woa/coc on the log and not the saw? hmm, I wonder if that would work, probably not tho. A quick simple test with woa will reveal truth about metallurgy.

The tool is what you enchant and it is part of success chance calculation. Reducing the quality of these can reduce your success chance. Folks do this to make the task more difficult and improve skill gain: Zinc, Tin, Coal

The target or resources is what affects or caps the final or converted item quality: iron, copper.

• Like 2

Would you choose to put woa/coc on the log and not the saw? hmm, I wonder if that would work, probably not tho.

In that example you are probably making planks - so no it wouldn't help. However - you can WoA/CoC your "improve" log - where, as you say, the log actually gets used as a tool in imping.

Edited by Heboric

The QL of the lump determining the percentage for the creation has to be low QL. If it is high QL, you'll barely gain any skill.

Use low ql tin or zinc. Make sure the zinc or tin has CoC, not the copper. Don't let the lump run out, and keep in mind that you can combine it and keep the enchant as long as the enchanted lump is activated. 

Has anyone seen any advantage with the metals over charcoal as far as skill gain rate? I have an easier time making low ql charcoal (ql<10) than finding copper veins.

Has anyone seen any advantage with the metals over charcoal as far as skill gain rate? I have an easier time making low ql charcoal (ql<10) than finding copper veins.

Believe the creation difficulty is (listed easiest to hardest): steel, brass, bronze. Although, the difference in difficulty between these three is very small. You can confirm this by using a coal, tin, and zinc lump; all at an equal quality; and attempting to create steel, brass, and bronze. Pay attention to the creation success chance and the one with a chance nearest or in the 50%-70% range would be best.

Take note that metallurgy follows the same 1<x<40 output quality as mining. Here if x is true for output quality you'll get a skill gain. 

You might be able to sell your coal and buy multiple copper/zinc/tin per a coal. For low ql I'd expect you can get those at 10i per lump. A single coal should sell for more then 20i each.

Take note that metallurgy follows the same 1<x<40 output quality as mining. Here if x is true for output quality you'll get a skill gain. 

Edited by SotG_is_OP