Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 51

Sorry to bicker, but, somethings need to be contextualized to be fully appreciated:

All in all, it was a nice year, some things were improved, but sadly the old trend of Wurm devs leaving things unfinished (multi story houses still are unfinished to this date, bridges MIGHT provide a way to create proper access to upper floors, but that's just a bypass, and not released yet) and of focusing on stuff before its time, and that ultimately stay well behind their potential, or worse, stuff that serves utterly no purpose other than wasting dev time. I'm talking about Xanadu, Challenge, all the sea creatures, the map, etc. All of these could have waited to be properly developed into fulfilling their potential instead of being the half-baked goods we have.

Ahem... I HAD THAT BIG OF A HOUSE.... standing on the one side i couldnt see the items on the other o.O it sucked when trying to take pretty screenshots... sorry your carpentry sucks :) lol 

And crabs, now Wurm's got CRABS!

Good year, looking forward to more next year.

Happy Holidays :)

Alot of things have changed/been added and i like most of them. Good work to say the least.

But i see tapestries in the list and i cant find them in the recipie book... have i missed something or has that not been added yet ?

You forgot the most important update of the year:

SuperBaby.jpg

Hope he has a great first Christmas!

A big thankyou to everyone at CodeClub for all your hard work; we might not always agree with your priorities but no-one can deny that for a small team your output is impressive. Have a restful Christmas and see you in the New Year!

Edited by Pragmatist
  • Like 1

I think these updates have been a very wonderful change in Wurm. I know it is not always easy when we seem so unappreciative at times, but I am sure all of Wurm community is very glad for the changes in communication this past year.

Thank you Red Baron, and thank you Rolf, for making this change come about.

(It makes me very happy to know Rolf is enjoying playing his own game again, on the new Challenge server!!)

While I can be one of those vocal people and can criticize Rolf quite harshly at times, I have noticed some positive differences this year in team organization/communication, communication with the players/the release of solid mechanic information, etc.  

Let me give a small but good example: I made a snarky comment in another thread recently about how I felt it was typical of Rolf to glaze over Q&A questions based on past experiences and that people shouldn't get their hopes up in regards to the upcoming Q&A.... and Rolf proved me to be completely wrong. In my opinion, he really stepped up to the plate this time and had, what I would consider, solid answers for the questions that were given to him. Perhaps it was the fact that the team funneled the questions through the forums prior to answering, instead of just starting a live IRC party and having a go at it. Regardless, they did it right this time and I was really impressed with that.

Aside from that, the team has brought some really awesome things to the table for the players this year. I might have complained about such things as the armor class effect to priest casting... but seriously, you can add up all the "bad" changes together and I still believe the awesomeness of the crafting table and the ability to drag from container to container outshines it.

To sum it up, I may come off as a hater when I passionately argue my distaste for something via the forums, but i'm not hating. I love this game...maybe just a little too much. Rolf (as boss) has done quite a few things differently this year that have impressed me, and the team continuously impresses me, more and more every year (I was around for the Mortimar/Notch era, when nothing got done). Especially the volunteer team... their persistence in making Wurm a better place without the benefits of employment is commendable, to say the least. While others are on paid holiday, the volunteer staff is still here, sorting through bugs, working on and releasing implements, fixing client issues. No sense in dropping names, the volunteers around here know who they are and they get a big round of applause from me. You guys are heros!

• Like 3

So, to plan a house all I need is a mallet, but to plan a bridge I need another player, a dioptra, and a range pole?

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Dioptra

Architecturally, bridges are a lot more complicated than bridges.

In real life you probably need a lot more training to be an engineer than a carpenter/mason. Housebuilders can probably learn much of their trade in 6 months without any formal schooling, engineers more like 6 years and university level studies. 

• Like 1

Thank you so much to the whole dev team at Wurm for doing such a wonderful job. For such a small indie game it has really come on leaps and bounds in the last year, especially when I think back to the days of the 'robin hood characters' that we used to all have!

Looking forward to the years ahead!

Wish you a happy Christmas to all the devs, I hope you enjoy your well deserved break.

• Like 1

Simply thank you Code Club for another lovely year!

Lets hope for a evenly succesfull one next year.

Happy holidays everyone!

In real life you probably need a lot more training to be an engineer than a carpenter/mason. Housebuilders can probably learn much of their trade in 6 months without any formal schooling, engineers more like 6 years and university level studies. 

And yet having to use an alt or endless pest a friend to get some help to plan our silly bridges is a no sense. I´m ok with the use of multiple tools, in fact use a new item: Architectural dummy, like a regular dummy but with it need a range pole added, then you drop the dummy in the tile your bridge ends and go to the other tile to use the dioptra.

In real life i really doubt a single mason is able to build a huge castle in 1 month including the gathering and manufacturing of the needed materials.

Realism is bad wen it trumps into your fun in a game.

BTW I really doubt a house builder can learn his trade in 6 months and in the other hand mankind where building bridges ages before the word engineer ever existed.

...stuffs...

E7YRh1S.jpg

And yet with all of these fabulous improvements you guys still managed to end the year with less premium accounts than you started with. Bravo sirs, bravo.

• Like 1

Yes, a lot of awesome new stuff we've had, but the lists of some of the more memorable stuff that went live this year, confuse me a bit, since Tapestries are also in that list.

Did I miss them? Nodody I know has been able to craft them yet, as far as I know.

Edited by Dame

Will the archery towers and other Challenge stuff work correctly before the holidays ?

If it is the fault of players that they do not seem to work , please explain.

Have a Merry Chrismas.

Edited by zorako

Merry Christmas code club and all wurmians.Hope you consentrait a bit more on advertising in the new year and get some new players joining the game

Merry Christmas Rolf and Staff! Keep up the great work for the new year. Thanks!

E7YRh1S.jpg

And yet with all of these fabulous improvements you guys still managed to end the year with less premium accounts than you started with. Bravo sirs, bravo.

So a consitant playerbase at an average of 5476 are that much worse then an average of 5479... thats a diffrent of 0,00054%. Wow thats a HUGE diffrence... talk about constructive / meaningful critisim.

And the current users compared to one year ago... a staggering 0,00062%.

Edited by Daash

Ahem... I HAD THAT BIG OF A HOUSE.... standing on the one side i couldnt see the items on the other o.O it sucked when trying to take pretty screenshots... sorry your carpentry sucks :) lol 

My carp is nigh 90... Just never saw the need for apartment blocks xp

Than Houses... lol.

But yeah, 99% of normal habitation houses are quite simple, and trust me when i tell you illiterate people can build them by hand. Bridges, on the other hand, in some cases "defy" physics by putting gravity to work in ways you have no idea.

And yet having to use an alt or endless pest a friend to get some help to plan our silly bridges is a no sense. I´m ok with the use of multiple tools, in fact use a new item: Architectural dummy, like a regular dummy but with it need a range pole added, then you drop the dummy in the tile your bridge ends and go to the other tile to use the dioptra.

In real life i really doubt a single mason is able to build a huge castle in 1 month including the gathering and manufacturing of the needed materials.

Realism is bad wen it trumps into your fun in a game.

BTW I really doubt a house builder can learn his trade in 6 months and in the other hand mankind where building bridges ages before the word engineer ever existed.

I disagree, bridges by their own concept are used to link 2 places, this kinda forces you to either use the alt, or ask your neighbor to help plan, in a way kinda making you think twice about making one in a way that will be annoying.

Also i'd like to clarify my previous post. I really didn't mean to be negative or whatnot, i just think that some of the changes weren't total "victories" and were left half-finished, and really aren't something you should be bragging about YET. As a whole the dev team seems to be putting a better effort lately than it did in the past, and certainly the pace of changes is improved somewhat. I mean the weekly updates aren't really new, but while lately there's nearly always something new in it, in the past most of the times it would be only minor (although useful - and heavily on the PvP balances side) patches and tweaks.

So that's something to be glad and thankful. But damn, we could have used those bridges...

Edited by KanePT

So a consitant playerbase at an average of 5476 are that much worse then an average of 5479... thats a diffrent of 0,00054%. Wow thats a HUGE diffrence... talk about constructive / meaningful critisim.

And the current users compared to one year ago... a staggering 0,00062%.

Daash, I hope you don't have a job where you have to read graphs. You suck at it.

• Like 1

Oh man I am so sad that I am missing bridges on test :(

But overall been a good year for wurm.

Thanks for all the time the staff puts into this game!

Happy holidays to everyone, enjoy some time with your families.

Before we bicker about what hasn't been done, lets keep in mind one thing... Bridges, man. Bridges.

All else is just gravy. At least until the shininess wears off, and we start ogling the new stuff w/e that will be. Then the glorious cycle runs anew!

Amazing game - amazing team - wonderful new improvements!  Great community!

Hope you all have a magical time over the holidays - and keep it up! 

Congratulations on a very productive year - it was my first year with Wurm Online and I don't think any other company has put so much into a game as you guys have, in such a short period of time - Very impressive. 

Enjoy the holidays and best wishes for the New Year.

P.S. - Thanks so much for the Goat Gift - excellent finish to and excellent year! :-)

• Like 1

Then the glorious cycle runs anew!

I bet they can hardly wait ^_^  (remembers sheep and how they got their evil red eyes and frothing mouth)

I can be very tolerant about unexpected delays  :D As long as it does not delay the upcoming 

Wurm  Spring  Fashion  Week    

(Yes it is a rumor I started myself but someone had to!)

renesansowy-mc499ski-strc3b3j.jpg

Easter Week works fine for me, I have the week cleared in my schedule in anticipation.

My sheep are sheared, my leather is lyed, my fur is fumigated, my cotton is collated.

I am ready! 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 3