Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

Bridge Bug Testing on the TestServer

Can someone take a look at this screenshot and tell me what is "Too Low"?  I have not been able to plan anything other than rope bridges.

BridgeTest.jpg

Here's a copy of the "Plan Bridge" chatter.  Just in case it's not clearly visible above.

[00:57:19] You carefully place the dioptra on its tripod in front of you.
[00:57:26] You make sure the dioptra is level.
[00:57:34] You point the dioptra at Cyz.
[00:57:42] You wave at Cyz.
[00:57:42] You line up the dioptra with Cyz.
[00:57:50] You look through the dioptra.
[00:57:58] You focus on the range pole.
[00:58:06] You read the graduations on the range pole and work out the height difference.
[00:58:14] You check the heights of the plan ends.
[00:58:16] House rules tonight: Play nice. Be interruptive to players testing and earn a ban.
[00:58:22] Both ends are the same height, Nice!
[00:58:22] You work out the orientation and width for the bridge.
[00:58:30] You check for clearance between the bridge ends.
[00:58:38] You check for protruding foliage.
[00:58:54] You check for nearby cave entrances.
[00:59:02] You check for any items in the way.
[00:59:10] You check that you have permissions to build the bridge.
[00:59:18] You check for any bridges that may interfere with this bridge.
[00:59:26] You check there would be no buildings under this bridge.
[00:59:34] You work out the styles of bridges that would fit.
[00:59:42] You start working out the bridge components required.
[00:59:42] Planned bridge area is 11 tiles long and 1 tile wide.
[00:59:42] Rope Slope:0.0
[00:59:50] You stop surveying.
[00:59:50] You pack up the dioptra.

If the bridge is over a certain length (5 tiles) then it will have supports, and to keep it looking like the bridge is over water, and not fallen into water, there is a minimum height of 60 dirt for wood and 80 for brick.

Minimum height for rope is different as they sag, so their minimum height is calculated from their length using the sagginess.

PS, I'm looking into the 3 tile bug atm. Do 4 and 5 tile lengths work correctly?

i've so far found a clipping issue where if you're directly under a bridge and keep going you'll clip under the terrain then back on top of it; while testing with strandedrabbit i found that you could also "railing surf" in that you could keep going along a bridge walking along the side rail on the outside, but you still treated the terrain as if it had the same slope

Started a rope bridge, abutment complete, first crown at level 2

I walked onto the unfinished crown near the edges and almost instantly died. I fell through near the center but started rubberbanding vertically on the edges where the wooden frame is.

[13:02:29] BridgeId:53140304433156 @ht:2.5280151 @nho:0 @go:0[13:02:30] Ouch! That hurt![13:02:30] Ouch! That hurt![13:02:30] Ouch! That hurt![13:02:30] Ouch! That hurt![13:02:30] You are dead.
Walking up straight to the edges of a ropebridge and a wood bridge will result in similar rubberbanding, it's not as fatal however Edited by ago

i've so far found a clipping issue where if you're directly under a bridge and keep going you'll clip under the terrain then back on top of it; while testing with strandedrabbit i found that you could also "railing surf" in that you could keep going along a bridge walking along the side rail on the outside, but you still treated the terrain as if it had the same slope

What type of bridge?

I currently have a troll running laps underneath a low rope bridge trying to figure out how to get me.  I am not moving, but he is pacing back and forth underneath the bridge. 

He finally broke agro.  I hit him with a spell, and now he's back to pacing.

PS, I'm looking into the 3 tile bug atm. Do 4 and 5 tile lengths work correctly?

four tiles do and will test out 5 today

Edit: Thanks for the fix on the three tiled arched ones they work good now from what i have tested. 

Edited by Kegan

We have set it up so you will have a personal wand called Cornucopia to spawn materials.

Since this is no longer a reality, can someone who actually got one of these come whip me up some dirt.  :unsure:

Well i have a little problem planning a bridge the hold time for the pole is shorter than the planning time so i guess this is the restriction? The hold time i was getting was 3m 20s and the planning time was 5m 23s the hold alt was on clay and was 34 tiles between them over water.  ( i am guessing that is the restriction aspect working but thought i would post it anyway)

Edited by Kegan

Bridge named: 6 Tile Flat Wood Bridge by start area (to the west of all the wagons).  

Because of the way it's built, you cannot walk down the center lane of the highway (the stone slab lane).

Thanks Kegan, I'll change the maximum timer for holding

Thanks Kegan, I'll change the maximum timer for holding

I think the hold action is also stopped with no stamina so that might be an issue in there too but will have to test once the timer is extended. 

3 of us were running up and down bridges a bit ago and we all noticed that going up a bridge, people see you as 'floating' above the bridge.  When you turn around and go down the slope, you sink to your waist going down.

We tried stone, rope and wood and had the same results.

Testing yesterday and found a few issues.

• Rope bridges let you walk along their lengths under them and you will pop up onto the top of the bridge.
  • If you walk towards the stone type bridges hand rail from the end and hit it you start vibrating up and down very fast.
  • People walking on steep bridges (noticed on wood type) appear to float in and out of the bridge surface like they were on steps rather than a ramp.  Horses and carts are fine.
  • I had lag while testing and kept hitting invisible obstacles while walking on clear tiles (I would slide around them like when you hit a tree).  On the steep wooden bridges near the wagons this caused me to speed up movement and die several times walking on the bridge.  On a horse I just fell through the bridge to ground level.  Restarting the client seemed to fix it but thought it was worth reporting.
  • I am pretty sure this is a designed thing but in case it's not: You can't terraform under a bridge.
  • Like 5

Lava tiles burn you when walking over them so only mag priests can build over lava pits. Until their faith runs out anyway.

GBtvOYO.jpg

Edited by transllusion
  • Like 2

Lava tiles burn you when walking over them so only mag priests can build over lava pits. Until their faith runs out anyway.

You wont be able to build over lava tiles, I only enabled it to see what would happen.

• Like 3

we need flat bridges as well :D

OMG: I am pretty sure this is a designed thing but in case it's not: You can't terraform under a bridge.

Edited by RockyBalboa

If the bridge is over a certain length (5 tiles) then it will have supports, and to keep it looking like the bridge is over water, and not fallen into water, there is a minimum height of 60 dirt for wood and 80 for brick.

Is that OVER 5 tiles in length, or starting from 5 tiles in length?

/me keeps fingers crossed it's the former.

Is that OVER 5 tiles in length, or starting from 5 tiles in length?

/me keeps fingers crossed it's the former.

I made a 5 tile bricks bridge and it doesn´t have a support so I guess its more than 5 tiles?

Edited by KunAlt

The ones without support can be built with a 10 slope/dirt clearance but the longer support ones take more height but i have not tested to see what that height is yet. Does anyone know? 

Edited by Kegan

I made a 5 tile bricks bridge and it doesn´t have a support so I guess its more than 5 tiles?

The ones without support can be built with a 10 slope/dirt clearance but the longer support ones take more height but i have not tested to see what that height is yet. Does anyone know? 

Awesome, good to know and only very minor deed modifications will be neccesary then!

Kegan, I quoted a post from Tich earlier in this thread that says 60 dirts for wooden and 80 for brick (which would have really stuffed up my deed design if starting at 5 tiles :P )

Kegan, I quoted a post from Tich earlier in this thread that says 60 dirts for wooden and 80 for brick (which would have really stuffed up my deed design if starting at 5 tiles :P )

Well the arched brick at 6 tiles is fine at low dirt with no support so not sure when it starts the 80 i am guessing 7 but never got that far with it.  I did 60 and then stopped but the arched brick and rope were both okay at relatively low dirt levels with 6 tiles.

Thanks for the information on it though that will save me testing more on it. 

Ah forgot to add that, arched wood needs supports at over 5 and arched brick at over 8.

• Like 4