Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

Bridge Bug Testing on the TestServer

Hello Wurmians.

Bridges are live on the test server and is awaiting the rigorous testing of expert Wurmians.

We have set it up so you will have a personal wand called Cornucopia to spawn materials.

Current information about bridges is here:

Bridges on Wurmpedia.

We might update later with more specifics needing testing.

But just be creative and really put bridges to the test.

Post your findingd in a structured manner here.

This thread is purely for feedback and reporting, not discussions.

Thank you for your time!

Get the test client here: http://www.wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient_test.jnlp

• Like 25

To get hold of your basic set of tools, activate ANY item, right click the ground, select 'Test' and scroll down in the list.

To get body stats and skills, set the skill level you want in the indicated field in the Test window. The body stats will be 1/2 of the skills you specified.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I build a bridge?!

• First of all, you need two players. One holding a range pole in their hand, the other one using a Dioptra. The one using the dioptra right clicks on the one holding the range pole and selects 'Plan Bridge'. If no failure, a dialog box will pop up with the options available.

• To "hold the range pole in your hand", activate the range pole in your inventory, right click on the ground and select "Hold".

• To build a multi-tile wide bridge, stand diagonally across from each other. Depending on how wide you choose, different types of bridges will be available.

• Like 6

Maybe it's a bug, maybe it's not. However, you can go through the wall even if there is a fence.

Example:

QdehfZg.jpg

I don't think it should be possible to go through this.

And after I went through it, I fall down a 40 slope tile and recieved 99% damage.

• Like 2

Well i made two points and the first thing i seen was the reading was off it said i was 1 dirt lower than the pole but they were both the same slope of 25.  (for survey only the planning was fine)

Edit: It also said it was 4 tiles to the pole when it was only three in survey mode. 

Edited by Kegan

Casting fire pillar (same should be with ice pillars) Will not spawn the fire on the bridge, but the tile below.

Well i made two points and the first thing i seen was the reading was off it said i was 1 dirt lower than the pole but they were both the same slope of 25.  (for survey only the planning was fine)

Edit: It also said it was 4 tiles to the pole when it was only three in survey mode. 

the errors were in the survey mode only the planning seemed fine. 

the errors were in the survey mode only the planning seemed fine. 

Maybe it's a bug, maybe it's not. However, you can go through the wall even if there is a fence.

Example:

QdehfZg.jpg

I don't think it should be possible to go through this.

And after I went through it, I fall down a 40 slope tile and recieved 99% damage.

same thing, kid of, on a wooden bridge with a wooden fence, but in stead of falling i got trapped bouncing up and down

Dropping items on bridge and they sometimes appear on the bridge other times below.

It would report the difference on the NW corners of the tiles your 2 players are on.

the two tiles my players are on are both flat but now it seems to be working fine i had to cut down some trees but not sure why there was the difference the first time. 

I have a question regarding this... how do we get access as a tester to the testserver?

EDIT: just read about downloading test client in the fences in walls discussion.

Edited by Araninke

I am not sure how this works but i am getting a message like this..

[12:27:15] Failed with slope -7(0) max:5

[12:27:15] Failed with slope -13(0) max:10

[12:27:15] Failed with slope -18(0) max:15

[12:27:15] Failed with slope -22(0) max:20

So how am i to pick the slope i want from the planning window or does this mean i can not have an arched bridge with just three tiles in between?  ( i can not change to 5/10 or 15 it is stuck on 20)

Edit: What i was expecting is to pick like say 10 slope up, level at the top then ten slope down for a three tile bridge. 

zvrNMVm.jpg

When i finish the above i get this everytime and as you can see is not even at all..

XGzhTfx.jpg

Edited by Kegan

Neat, we got an arched bridge planned, but when I built the first abutment tile, I couldn't grab the stones I dropped on the tile next to the abutment from where I had been building it:

[20:41:32] You can't reach the stone brick through the wall.
Edited by Marshlander

Kegan, Sorry hard to tell, I need more information to try to work out why its failing. (e.g. height difference between ends)

Kegan, Sorry hard to tell, I need more information to try to work out why its failing. (e.g. height difference between ends)

Edited by Kegan

Heres a couple of nick nacks.

Problem:

You can jump from buildings onto bridges (logically this is good), but... you take excessive fall damage (roughly 10x more, jumping from a third story onto the bridge ends up with 10% HP :S)

Solution:

Reduce the fall damage, or make it so gravity acts on the tile between rather than letting you glide through the air like some sort of wizard.

Problem:

You can use a mountable vehicles to Teleport through the underside/overside of the bridge, this is achieved by backing up the cart so it pops through the bridge layer and then Embarking it as passenger and disembarking on the tiles which are not the bridge (if you disembark on the bridge you get insta-killed)

Solution:

More physical barriers on the underside of the model.

I am yet to test to see if I can bug the bridge out with certain actions. Apart from this bridges are viable!, They are also extremely tough, which is good considering the silly amount of materials required to build big ones :D.

Tried making a 3-tile long, 1-tile wide arched stone bridge between two tiles at the same height. Would have expected the middle bridge section to be flat but it's not.  One end of the bridge has a steeper slope than the other.  I did get some warnings about max height being too high and none of the options were selectable but it let me plan the bridge anyway.  Sorry, should have gotten a screen shot.

I don't know how hard it would be to implement temporarily but if there was a way to destroy bridges quickly it would help us test things faster.  I don't feel like raising another pair of tiles or looking for an appropriate spot.

edit: Hmm.  The middle section might be sloped because it's a bracing rather than a crown. When I right clicked on the middle to build it I think I selected "Build bracing" or something not realizing it might change the structure (?)

Edited by Cunk

So I found something interesting... I dropped some bricks on a completed section of bridge, and it piled up as expected. What I didn't notice is that it also dropped one on the next tile over (the unfinished one) which landed under the bridge. This isn't too odd, due to how dropping piles works anyway, but when I tried to drag rock shards into the open "pile" window, they disappeared. I had to climb up (through the bridge model) from below to get them. They dropped onto the ground under the deck of the finished bridge tile.

• Like 8

Just wanted to add that i appreciated the upgrade to the test interface with the new tools and materials list along with the skills including characteristics.  It is for sure a much easier way to test things out when you need and i hope we get to keep it after this test is over. 

Edited by Kegan

I think it's been said, but there's still a lot of issues with collisions still. Horses following the slope of the tile under the bridge (mostly seen at the end of the bridge, similarly to what happens when you enter or leave a mine), there's also a jerking or "hiccup" when you walk on and off bridges at times. I also had an issue where I embarked on a cart that was on a bridge, and the cart positioned on the tile below - the horses did not though. I was still under the bridge, forcing me to go around to get back up.

There's also issues with items - as I said above, plus I noticed the following:

1) Pile on the ground, standing on the bridge: You cannot reach it through the wall

2) Pile on bridge, standing on ground: No issues taking items.

3) Standing on ground, accessing cart on bridge: No issues

4) Standing on bridge, accessing cart on ground: [23:36:22] You can't reach the mortar through the wall.

You can also PvP through bridges it would seem. One person under the abutment, the other on the bridge or the ground above.

You can also climb up into the abutment and be completely NOT VISIBLE either above OR below the bridge, yet you can target AND attack players. Yes, those players CAN return the attack, but this could still be abused and exploited terribly in PvP situations.

Edit: It was brought to my attention that you can also "hide" within guard towers and the like, which is true. I think the issue with abutments is that it may be nearly impossible for someone to get down off the bridge to properly confront their attackers. You CAN still attack through the bridge when targeted, but you cannot right-click your attacker. Wooden bridges wouldn't have this problem due to their geometry.

Edited by Keenan

Casting fire pillar (same should be with ice pillars) Will not spawn the fire on the bridge, but the tile below.

I can understand restricting trees being planted but we need a way to get grass under them at least. 

• Like 1