Sign in to follow this  
Brash_Endeavors

Wurm Clones

SC is the last game I will ever kickstart. I bought a ship ages ago and that ship is no so far down the development pole that to fly it would be suicide.

Also I am of the opinion that if you pay to play an MMO, there should not be a price to buy the game. Why? Because I bought Star Trek Online and it went Free to Play and it was then free for download. I bought LotRO and it went free to play and you still have to buy everything past Ediador. I bought SWTOR and then EA imposed their version of Free to Play. Yeah... it's a free crippled trial but you can download it for free.

As far as sandboxes, there's more than one kind. Sandbox is Genre like Action or RPG. I aslo don't equate open world to sandbox although there are open world sandboxes like this one. Not all sandboxes are persistent either. When you lose your stake, the ground resets to how you found it. So to lump 50 games into a list is like comparing Superman to Indiana Jones. They are both action figures.

Personally a game has to make it past the alpha stage into beta, and even beyond that before I begin to take a serious look at it. Theres alot that can impact a game, especially in regards to the devs. Many awesome-sounding games never make it even to beta. Even if they do survive into something playable, you may find it not living up to the pie-in-the-sky promises.

This. These days I cringe when I see developers say they're going to have amazing feature X Y and Z as well as LMNOPQRS. In games development, like any part of IT, but moreso, everything is harder than you think it will be. Especially when you throw in client-server and databases which is what's required to make something even smell like an MMO.

SC is the last game I will ever kickstart. I bought a ship ages ago and that ship is no so far down the development pole that to fly it would be suicide.

I kickstarted Repo and now I'm playing it hard. And almost kickstarted SC but it has all the clues that it will be in a very very very very long future 'if' nothing goes wrong.

Kickstarted 7 Days to Day and I'm playing it with friends every time theres a new update, and we always have fun.

Heck I even bought Minecraft when it was on alpha, and ended up making mods for it,

Then I remember that I bought The War Z(or whatever is called now), and I deeply regret it.

I guess it all depends on how much research you do about the games you are supporting when they are on alpha/beta/early acces/whateveryouwanttocallit. And as always the small jump of faith.

I might start kickstarting my book collection. You know, those archaic things made with paper and bound in a cover that require nothing other than a bit of light and a soft chair. I just hope new books are better than some of the new games or games-to-be since the world seems to be in alpha and beta any more.

• Like 1

When I first stepped into Wurm in 2008 the first thing that struck me was the fact that absolutely everything I was seeing was player built. It was the first feature described to me by my friend, who was introducing me to the game, and it was shocking because I had no previous experience with any game that was so heavily player driven. Other MMOs I had experience with would always populate the land with pre-built villages, landscapes, and NPCs. A fully fleshed out world that you were meant to explore and utilize. But Wurm didn't do that. Wurm gave me a few tools and said "go... make something of this place".

The second thing that struck me was the level of access I had to altering the world. I could dig the dirt, which altered the landscape, and could use that dirt to again alter the landscape. Land shaping was a completely alien concept to me in a game world and it literally blew my mind when I first realized it. Later I was exposed to other features that were equally impressive. Like a crafting system that forced me to work from the absolute basic raw materials all the way through a production infrastructure to a completed product. And not just for a few items or accessories either, but literally hundreds of unique objects and items that were in the game at the time (many more have since been added). And 95% (I've excluded furniture and eating utensils) of those were not just useful, but many were necessary to building a... home.

At the time (again remember this is 2008) I had never experienced a game that let me build a home. A place designed, built, and maintained by me. I could make it however I wanted, where ever I wanted, and change it whenever I felt the urge. Wurm touched my life before the concept of a persistent sandbox MMO had even been an idea for me. It blew me out of the water with the possibilities for customization and just overall depth. The world of Wurm is what WE the players make of it. It is, in a way, OURS. Given fully and willingly to us by the developers, to do with as we please. And what really makes me love Wurm, and keeps me coming back to it... Is that its still here. Wurm has existed for coming up on a decade and its not in any danger of ceasing that lineage. My village, that I crafted out of the side of a mountain, is over a year old. And thats young by Wurm standards. There are villages on other servers that have histories going back five years or more. Villages that have welcomed children into the world, seen relationships and marriages develop. Wurm has brought people together and let them build a community together.

There is literally no other game that hits all of these landmarks, I've looked. EVE Online is the only other MMO that comes close. Because it is also very old, stable, and has a massive world with a dynamic society. But you can't shape EVE Online. You can't build a home in EVE Online. There is a rich player driven economy and goods system. One of the most unique and volatile political systems in any game ever. And a powerful community of dedicated players. But its still just a giant prefabricated world that you just inhabit, its not YOURS.

When Minecraft was introduced by Notch (who of course was also responsible for the creation of Wurm) it hit a lot of the same marks. It was a world built entirely by the player, you were handed the tools and given access to do with the game as you pleased. But it was not persistent, especially in the beginning. You could build a house... or a castle... but it just didn't have the same feel as Wurm. And I believe that Brash_Endeavors said it best in a different thread. My home in Wurm needs me. If I do not maintain it, then it will decay and disappear. If I do not care for my animals they will grow sick and starve. My presence is important to Wurm, I keep the crops growing, the animals thriving, and the walls repaired.

If Wurm was somehow cut off from its players and ran for a year, the nature mechanics in the game would overtake it. I can not think of any other game that could say the same.

TL;DR

There is no game that has ever compared to Wurm in my eyes. Even Minecraft is but a pale imitation to what Wurm has achieved. And all those 'Minecraft ripoffs' are trying to imitate a game that was always, to me, an imitation of the original. Nothing compares.

• Like 17

Wow, you really really got burned with kickstart.

No, charity should be given to poor people, not to games that are 2 years old and still have no game. :-) Make a game and sell it unless you are a starving and naked developer then sign up for a charity.

When I first stepped into Wurm in 2008 the first thing that struck me was the fact that absolutely everything I was seeing was player built. It was the first feature described to me by my friend, who was introducing me to the game, and it was shocking because I had no previous experience with any game that was so heavily player driven. Other MMOs I had experience with would always populate the land with pre-built villages, landscapes, and NPCs. A fully fleshed out world that you were meant to explore and utilize. But Wurm didn't do that. Wurm gave me a few tools and said "go... make something of this place".

The second thing that struck me was the level of access I had to altering the world. I could dig the dirt, which altered the landscape, and could use that dirt to again alter the landscape. Land shaping was a completely alien concept to me in a game world and it literally blew my mind when I first realized it. Later I was exposed to other features that were equally impressive. Like a crafting system that forced me to work from the absolute basic raw materials all the way through a production infrastructure to a completed product. And not just for a few items or accessories either, but literally hundreds of unique objects and items that were in the game at the time (many more have since been added). And 95% (I've excluded furniture and eating utensils) of those were not just useful, but many were necessary to building a... home.

At the time (again remember this is 2008) I had never experienced a game that let me build a home. A place designed, built, and maintained by me. I could make it however I wanted, where ever I wanted, and change it whenever I felt the urge. Wurm touched my life before the concept of a persistent sandbox MMO had even been an idea for me. It blew me out of the water with the possibilities for customization and just overall depth. The world of Wurm is what WE the players make of it. It is, in a way, OURS. Given fully and willingly to us by the developers, to do with as we please. And what really makes me love Wurm, and keeps me coming back to it... Is that its still here. Wurm has existed for coming up on a decade and its not in any danger of ceasing that lineage. My village, that I crafted out of the side of a mountain, is over a year old. And thats young by Wurm standards. There are villages on other servers that have histories going back five years or more. Villages that have welcomed children into the world, seen relationships and marriages develop. Wurm has brought people together and let them build a community together.

There is literally no other game that hits all of these landmarks, I've looked. EVE Online is the only other MMO that comes close. Because it is also very old, stable, and has a massive world with a dynamic society. But you can't shape EVE Online. You can't build a home in EVE Online. There is a rich player driven economy and goods system. One of the most unique and volatile political systems in any game ever. And a powerful community of dedicated players. But its still just a giant prefabricated world that you just inhabit, its not YOURS.

When Minecraft was introduced by Notch (who of course was also responsible for the creation of Wurm) it hit a lot of the same marks. It was a world built entirely by the player, you were handed the tools and given access to do with the game as you pleased. But it was not persistent, especially in the beginning. You could build a house... or a castle... but it just didn't have the same feel as Wurm. And I believe that Brash_Endeavors said it best in a different thread. My home in Wurm needs me. If I do not maintain it, then it will decay and disappear. If I do not care for my animals they will grow sick and starve. My presence is important to Wurm, I keep the crops growing, the animals thriving, and the walls repaired.

If Wurm was somehow cut off from its players and ran for a year, the nature mechanics in the game would overtake it. I can not think of any other game that could say the same.

TL;DR

There is no game that has ever compared to Wurm in my eyes. Even Minecraft is but a pale imitation to what Wurm has achieved. And all those 'Minecraft ripoffs' are trying to imitate a game that was always, to me, an imitation of the original. Nothing compares.

• Like 3

life is feudal could be considered similar to wurm once they start the mmo side of things

life is feudal could be considered similar to wurm once they start the mmo side of things

It will never be a true mmo with a proper community. They are going to have private server hosting etc for smaller 'clans' and what not. The gel that keeps Wurm together is that everyone is playing together in a persistent place. (Epic and Freedom clusters. Challenge is more like a...'fun' game-mode rather than the 'real' game in my view)

As for TUG, it has an insanely slow development process. It'll be at least 2 years before it is 'enjoyable'. (You can 'play' it right now, but it is so incomplete you wont be 'playing' for long)

Edited by Outlaw

I can't say enough good things about Wurm.

I've never said a bad thing about the game.

I will always regret when they eliminated The ability for my Neighbor to kill and loot me.

It took the real fear out of it 'for me'

I can't say enough good things about Wurm.

I've never said a bad thing about the game.

I will always regret when they eliminated The ability for my Neighbor to kill and loot me.

It took the real fear out of it 'for me'

Could allways come to Chaos, heh there is a reason people don't chop down my grape bushes here :D  Honestly, I tend to find it refreshing how polite most are to each other, and the invisible line you rarely cross because you know your kingdom could kick you out if you act like a jerkwad.  

Anyways, the most recent Wurm clone I've played is Life is Feudal.     I spen several months playing it, and I think it's off to a good start though the PvP system is clunky to the point of frustration atm.   Consider what Wurm's pvp is like, then make it like Mount and blade, then desync everything and make shields unable to block crossbows or pretty much anything for that matter.   There you have LiF's combat system, and the entire game is based around PvP, raiding and siege warfare.    

It's not a bad game, and it has a very active development.  The ticket system they use for their bug reporting is spot on and most of my reports got fixed in the very next patch.    I think the game will go far once they make their PvP system playable. The entire RPG market is shifting towards more sandbox elements, and more player freedom and less of an "on rails" experience.   Wurm will be hard pressed to keep up in the next five years or so.     

Edited by Battlepaw

Battlepaw, improving combat in this game would be the best thing that could ever happen to Wurm. It is honestly the only reason I have never tried to PvP here. I don't mind one bit having my butt handed to me. I just want a bit more control and a bit less (obvious because it is all really this) RNG. I guess though that I am spoiled by a long time of multiplayer gaming starting when multiplayer gaming was scrolling text that went by faster than anything I have ever seen here (which is not a criticism because here I haven't seen 50 people scrolling on my screen so I am sure it's possible) and trying to time a /slash commands into it. It got slightly better when ANSI painted a real world to it. :-P

I have literally gone from tomydigitalderbyautoraceway002.jpg to what we have today.

This was multiplayer, btw. We passed it around.

I have pretty much played it all. LOL

Edited by Audrel
  • Like 2

Yea I know what you mean man, it still gets in my craw sometimes when I remember that time Rolf asked us if we wanted a Mount and Blade system several years ago, after he talked with the developers and was seriously considering putting those features into Wurm, and didn't because of all the objections.   

The way things are going today, more immersion is the future.  I'm helping to develop the Occlus Rift, and I test a lot of other immersion peripherals such as tracker IRs, gloves, etc, and I have to say the most important thing is to have everything be more or less intuitive and functional.  It's one reason there are so many clones of M&B's system and why game that stress immersion like The Forest, DayZ, etc are so much fun.    Things are functional because you are immersed.    If the developers of LiF ever get their PvP system as functional as it needs to be to enjoy the game, It will give us a real run for our money here in Wurm.    

Edited by Battlepaw
  • Like 1

LOL That game shows my age. I think it came out in 77 or 78. :-P

Ignoring the tantrum-throwing child in the room,

I'm keeping an eye on TUG

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mci7bITbaLQ

I like the art style and I think it might turn out well.

I like the looks of this. Looks fun.

I like the looks of this. Looks fun.

Might want to adopt a "wait and see" on this one.  I have this game and progress on it is slow, but steady as I take it.  Just not really as complete as most early access game's I've tried in the last several months.   

Yea I know what you mean man, it still gets in my craw sometimes when I remember that time Rolf asked us if we wanted a Mount and Blade system several years ago, after he talked with the developers and was seriously considering putting those features into Wurm, and didn't because of all the objections.   

The way things are going today, more immersion is the future.  I'm helping to develop the Occlus Rift, and I test a lot of other immersion peripherals such as tracker IRs, gloves, etc, and I have to say the most important thing is to have everything be more or less intuitive and functional.  It's one reason there are so many clones of M&B's system and why game that stress immersion like The Forest, DayZ, etc are so much fun.    Things are functional because you are immersed.    If the developers of LiF ever get their PvP system as functional as it needs to be to enjoy the game, It will give us a real run for our money here in Wurm.    

Wait... there were objections? :blink:

Edited by Klaa

Wait... there were objections? :blink:

Yep.   It's hard to believe now but I do remember, reading about it.    Let me dive into the waybackmachine and see if  I can find it.   Not sure how far back it was but I do remember the topic.    

There were a few well known/respected people in the pvp community that objected over latency issues. As much as I can feel for them and wouldn't want to be the person to take away their toy, it was a bad call and hurt the game's development potential. If combat was actually fun there are a lot of us that would have overcome our objections to full loot/deed destruction/caustic people and joined in the fighting.

besides that i have to admit that i like the automatic fighting in wurm when afk, I always hated it in other games, that my character has all those super awesome skills, but without me, is not capable of using it...so, if combat style would be changed in wurm, I would prefer having the choice of player control or automatic. Besides I loved the mount and Blade combat system, but it's also very stressfull and in overall I'm one of those people, using wurm to relax :)

It will never be a true mmo with a proper community. They are going to have private server hosting etc for smaller 'clans' and what not. The gel that keeps Wurm together is that everyone is playing together in a persistent place. (Epic and Freedom clusters. Challenge is more like a...'fun' game-mode rather than the 'real' game in my view)

As for TUG, it has an insanely slow development process. It'll be at least 2 years before it is 'enjoyable'. (You can 'play' it right now, but it is so incomplete you wont be 'playing' for long)

last i checked at "http://lifeisfeudal.com/LiFYO" its still in the plans to get the mmo part out some time in the future so we will see if it will have a proper community or not but unless they get rid of the stupidity that is restricting what trees you can or cant cut down due to not knowing how to cut down a tree >.> then i doubt they will even reach the mmo stage in development before it dies out

I was reading some of the stuff about LiF and did I understand right? You more or less have to reach 60 skill in collecting before you can start doing anything with what you collect? Seems a tad restrictive"

yup :/ thats the 1 thing i wish they would change about LiF dont know what they where thinking really when they thought of restricting the ability to cut down certain trees or mine certain resources until said level is reached and then impose a level cap so that unless you lower other skills you wont ever be able to do even 40% of the game on your own

like i can understand they dont want people to be jack of all trades but its kinda stupid when you can cut down a pine tree but not a birch and how you cant even chop down trees until 30 woodcutting you gotta gather sticks and stuff beforehand to raise it which goes insanely fast until 28 then it slows down suddenly like 900% slower then going from 1 to 28 and when you reach 30 suddenly it goes fast again until 58

the way the skill system is setup is the main reason i barely play LiF its annoying as hell

Always felt Wurm's original approach was better to limiting JOAT style chars. Any skill above 70 would suffer slight skill decay as it went unused for so long. Hence making things a little more open to newer players in several areas, notably pvp and crafting markets.

Granted this really hurt the kind of player who would have to be gone for weeks and months at a time, which was the stated reason for removing it.

Personally, deactivating the decay on inactive accounts would have been better.

Edited by Klaa