Sign in to follow this  
Aetherwalker

Limit forum accounts to one per IP

Sick to death of people making forum alts to say things they wouldn't say otherwise for fear of reputation damage. Let's have some transparency please.

• Like 11

Can i be the first one? +1 (Although changing the IP is not that hard :ph34r: )

• Like 1

When more than one person in a family plays then one would be shut out of posting in forums.
(like I and Pingvinen do)

Very bad idea.

Edit: Extremly bad idea.

Edited by Cecci
  • Like 16

You didnt go and make a new account to say that? what are you thinking!?

• Like 1

+1

ok so i have one other forum account, used it like 2 times to order some stuff from another server it was on and its listed as my alt on this toon.

Love if this was a thing, but i doubt it will be, how would it be policed, spec with random isp alocation and email etc..

When more than one person in a family plays then one would be shut out of posting in forums.

Very bad idea.

Wouldn't be difficult at all, just sign the end of your post with your name. If it's you on it, you add -Cecci on the bottom. If it' him, then it's -Pingvinen. The amount of drama this prevents drastically outweighs the amount it'd cause

I agree with the idea, but it could be problematic for some people... who play from the same household :mellow:

Edit: no, I don't think a shared forum account is worth the hassle it would solve for people who are annoyed by not knowing who that guy is that posted that one thing, tbh - it goes both ways!

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 6

i agree with what you want but just dont think this would work,i dont know about other countries but here everytime you turn off your router you get a new ip,unless you want to pay to have the same ip all the time.

so this wouldnt stop anyone here.

• Like 1

There can always be an exceptions filter. A forum administrator could place people with this situation into the filter and they would be excluded on that name. A bit more work in authenticating a new account but a lot less work in troll repair.

Tpikol: Mine will change every couple of weeks sometimes. So yeah...

Edited by Audrel
  • Like 1

*has access to hundreds of IP addresses* 

This isn't going to solve the problem really.

• Like 1

I really have no need to run my IP like a revolving door. I wouldn't think this is normally the case for an average user either... unless I missed the memo on something.

I would not want to share account with my boyfriend, I also get private messages and such, that are for me , and vice versa.
Plus what I say might then also affect his reputation.
Besides that he is PvP and I am PvE, should I have access to the PvP forums also then?

And well aren't we all a bit irritated with a certain guy who let's his brother post in his name so we never know who is really posting?

Edited by Cecci

there is no good way to police this. Just ignore opinions from players that seem experienced, yet have single digit post counts. I generally assume that is someone hiding and being tricksy in general.

• Like 4

Very bad idea.

People playing from public locations (schools like university etc) would also have problems with this. I don't think everyone should be punished just because it's an 'inconvenience' when there's drama caused by a few. Plus, as others have mentioned, it is incredibly easy to get a new IP and work around it. There are better actions that individuals who are 'tired of the drama' can take instead of making a change that isn't needed globally. 

Edited by Stargrace
  • Like 1

Ya, it wouldn't work in some universities, or playing with friends and such.

Who cares what someone here has to say about you. You're/We're all nerds here playing a video game anyways.

Edited by BrandonSF
  • Like 1

its not possible as multiple people can play from the same residence. also its soooooooo easy to change your ip anyways

and what kind of 'damage' do you think is done by this anyways?

-1 for a couple of reasons. Firstly, anyone on the same IP would be forced to share a forum account and while people could sign off as one or another, it would undoubtedly get very messy at times.

Secondly, anyone who creates drama on the forums, is more than capable of using variable IP's and the like so it wouldn't stop them.

Also, Thirdly (yeah, only came up with this as I was typing the 2nd), innocent people who do use proxies may get caught up with other peple who routinely use proxies from the same source too despite the fact that they don't know each other and could live the other side of the planet.

Edit: Fouthly, someone would be bound to complain about post count boosting :P

Fithly, Someone with an alt could claim they are 2 people and cause issues that way.

Sixthly, There would be accusations of 'cheating' as in fithly.

Seventhly, People's IP's can change pretty regularly, even if based in one place and this would cause havok.

Eighthly, We'd have to hire a full time member of staff to sit trawling through the forums looking for IP conflicts.

So I guess I'm actually saying -8 rather than -1 ;)

-1 me and Rosie wouldn't be able to view the forums at the same time.

It's a problem when you sell your account and play under a different name on another server.