Sign in to follow this  
Bagodix

Says I don't have 64 bit Java when I do!

Sup yall. 

Just recently downloaded this game and I so crazy excited to start playing yet it says I don't have 64-bit Java even though I downloaded a whole buncha times. Its giving me a mental hernia because I can't get started on anything because the game keeps crashing on me. I have no clue what Im doing wrong.

Ran into this a while back with the latest java update. It re installs the 32 bit version by default. You need to specify the 64 bit version when you update.

Ran into this a while back with the latest java update. It re installs the 32 bit version by default. You need to specify the 64 bit version when you update.

How do I specify the 64 bit version? 

Hello,

It might be that you have both 32 and 64 bit java installed. They can both be installed on a system. Most browsers are 32 bit, therefor the default install will  usually be 32 bit.

There are 2 things you can do

1. Go to your installed software list in control panel. Delete all java installations you see there. Then download the 64 bit version from this link and only install this one, if you have no need for 32 bit java.

http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=98428

2. Keep both installed, but edit your wurm-shortcut to force wurm to use the 64 bit java installed rather then the 32 bit. This can be done by following the steps in the following topic. (In this case the only importance is the part about 64 bit java)

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/82478-installing-java-recent-crashes-out-of-memory/

I am not sure how much of the shortcut editing has changed with Java 8 though.. so I hope this topic isnt too outdated. Perhaps someone can make a proper shortcut-edit topic again if it does not work.

Point 1 should work regardless though, and if you dont need 32 bit java, 1 is the easiest and simplest solution :)

Good luck and let us know if it worked!

Edited by Viti

Hello,

It might be that you have both 32 and 64 bit java installed. They can both be installed on a system. Most browsers are 32 bit, therefor the default install will  usually be 32 bit.

There are 2 things you can do

1. Go to your installed software list in control panel. Delete all java installations you see there. Then download the 64 bit version from this link and only install this one, if you have no need for 32 bit java.

http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=98428

2. Keep both installed, but edit your wurm-shortcut to force wurm to use the 64 bit java installed rather then the 32 bit. This can be done by following the steps in the following topic. (In this case the only importance is the part about 64 bit java)

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/82478-installing-java-recent-crashes-out-of-memory/

I am not sure how much of the shortcut editing has changed with Java 8 though.. so I hope this topic isnt too outdated. Perhaps someone can make a proper shortcut-edit topic again if it does not work.

Point 1 should work regardless though, and if you dont need 32 bit java, 1 is the easiest and simplest solution :)

Good luck and let us know if it worked!

64 bit is certainly not on my computer I checked. I also tried deleting it from the control panel but its telling me to verify that it exists and is writable and wont let me delete anything. I don't know what the matter is, I think its Java but it could be because Im technologically unlucky.

64 bit is certainly not on my computer I checked. I also tried deleting it from the control panel but its telling me to verify that it exists and is writable and wont let me delete anything. I don't know what the matter is, I think its Java but it could be because Im technologically unlucky.

If 64 bit is not on your system, you can download and install it from this link: http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=98428 (direct link to the download of the latest java 8 U25 64 bit version)

If you uninstall the current java 32 bit first before installing, it should work well :)

If 64 bit is not on your system, you can download and install it from this link: http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=98428 (direct link to the download of the latest java 8 U25 64 bit version)

If you uninstall the current java 32 bit first before installing, it should work well :)

I already said that I tried this and it won't let me because I get an error message that says, "

Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified location exists and is writable.

I would love to be able to do what my computer wants but I do not know how.

I already said that I tried this and it won't let me because I get an error message that says, "

Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified location exists and is writable.

Perhaps you can try the uninstall tool of Java

http://www.java.com/en/download/uninstallapplet.jsp

Hopefully this lets you uninstall properly after which you can install the new one.

If this does not work and/or reinstall does not work, then it feels like there is more going on then a java problem and we might have to look into other things. (You are sure you got windows 64 bit installed? Java 64 bit wont work on Windows 32 bit. If this is the case, there are some options you can try to make it run without (or less) crashes.

Perhaps posting one of the crashlogs will help as well!

Edited by Viti

Not sure if this microsoft page helps

“Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified location exists and is writable.†error when attempting to uninstall an application

WORKAROUND

To work around this issue, stop and restart the Explorer.exe process using Task Manager.

It is possible that simply restarting the computer might also fix it if you are unsure how to use Task Manager to stop a process (don't panic if it looks briefly like everything disappeared off your desktop, that is part of the process of restarting Explorer)

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Perhaps you can try the uninstall tool of Java

http://www.java.com/en/download/uninstallapplet.jsp

Hopefully this lets you uninstall properly after which you can install the new one.

If this does not work and/or reinstall does not work, then it feels like there is more going on then a java problem and we might have to look into other things. (You are sure you got windows 64 bit installed? Java 64 bit wont work on Windows 32 bit. If this is the case, there are some options you can try to make it run without (or less) crashes.

Perhaps posting one of the crashlogs will help as well!

thanks a lot mate. Is there a version of the game that is 32 bit? Just in case I fail?

The game can run on 32 bit however it crashes a LOT when doing so, because of the limited memory allowed on 32 bit. This especially occurs when your graphics card also has limited dedicated memory (Intel onboard graphics are the worst for crashing at launch under 32-bit java).

Are you getting a message that you CANNOT run because you lack 64-bit java, or that you SHOULDN'T run without 64-bit java?

Some people are able to play without crashing on 32-bit by lowering all settings to absolute lowest, turning off sound caching in launcher, using a low screen resolution and small texture sizes, turning off all shadows-reflections-extra stuff of any sort.  I also recommend launching at "windows resizeable 640x480" just to get the game launched then you can maximize or enlarge the window after (although if you have a large monitor and a lowend graphics adapter,  you are better off running at a smaller resolution)

Running on 64-bit is always more stable. I would keep trying first to get the 64 bit java installed. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

thanks a lot mate. Is there a version of the game that is 32 bit? Just in case I fail?

Wurm runs on both java 32 bit and java 64 bit, just that java 32 bit in some cases has a lot more crash-sensitive things. In some cases wurm works just fine on 32 bit, but for some it is crash after crash. Workarounds can range from disabling sounds, VBO/glsl and disabling sound cache and reducing texture sizes or disabling Catalyst AI in case of a AMD graphics card for example.

For a proper workaround or "fix" I would require to see the crashlog though, which is in the hs_err_pid* file. If you post this log we might be able to pinpoint the reason for the crashing, although I do think if you have windows 64 bit that it would really help switching to 64 bit java and only use 32 bit with workarounds if your windows itself is 32 bit and hence do not have a choice.

Edited by Viti
  • Like 2