Sign in to follow this  
Brash_Endeavors

Piers & Docks ("stumpy bridges") ... plus Houseboats?

It sounds like the current method for creating a bridge, may not allow but I hope devs will explore a way a make Fishing Piers and Boat Docks that are very short in length and "barely above water level". 

If it is possible to make these only 2 tiles wide and 3 tiles long and capable of support, it would also allow perhaps for small "houseboats" on the water ^_^

casa-galleggiante-al-ponticello-di-kings

can-we-build-a-floating-cabin-home-style

This is all "possible" to do now with dirt terraforming, but there are places where "dirt docks" are very difficult and a short wood dock would be more pleasant.

This would also make it more possible for rustic little "houseboat communities" in areas where the terrain is too steep for normal building. I think the docks should be "too hard" for free to play yet also something to interest veteran players in creating little "buildable pier newbie communities" that new players are then allowed to put their little cabins on. They could safely build their rowboats indoors then shove them out anytime they wanted to go on a trip (or moor them right outside their "front door" plus easily feed themselves off delicious yummy fish stew.) It would give new players an area to congregate and socialize outside of a normal village, while limiting the plot size for each. If abandoned cottages rot away much faster than high quality piers they are built on, it would mean while there is some normal decay/slum type environment, individuals spots would probably get reused almost immediately without leaving behind all the fences and excessive pavement that blight an area and discourage other new players from reusing that spot. I would have given my eyeteeth when I was brand new, for a 2x3 wood pier slot. (ok maybe not my eyeteeth -- but my compass + backpack + pottery bowl!)

ladeadriverhouseboat.JPG

and one day .... highly experienced shipbuilders can make small barges capable of supporting a 2x2 singlestory cottage. These have a max speed of 2 khm and will usually be anchored in place. 

10-6-9-824912.jpg

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 7

Audrel i was thinking absolutly the same like you when i read that idea ;-)

/edit says +1

Edited by Biervampyr

Someone hire Brash already and let him/her be the PM for future content?

+1 for sure.

I have about 50% of my shore burried in clay, but a lovely pier or dock system would be brilliant.  House boats + fish in FSB would have everyone at 99 fishing I'm sure, but what a life, eh? Would they hold up against the Sea Serpents though? The element of danger makes it even better.

+1

Would be awesome.

At least docks, small houses at the end of the docks would be great.

House boats in the end would be awesome too.

A 2x1 houseboat would be the perfect home for a fo priest, especially if we can have an alt sailing them while we work inside the house....

Along this line I would prefer *pilings* to be a craftable item. Lets say they would be long round poles the diameter of the bottom of a felled tree and created from them. After a number were created they could be hauled in a large cart to ones boat, loaded up and sailed out a short distance from shore. There square patterns could be made by pounding them into the dirt below and then single story houses be constructed upon them.

After this single tile wide bridges could be constructed to connect them together, creating a pole style dwelling or village out in the water. For very deep water further out several of these poles could be used one on top of the other, making these areas settleable as well. Pilings of these sorts would also be very helpful in just constructing bridges, as they could be used to make platforms in deeper water eliminating the need for excessive amounts of dirt under the current system.

=Ayes=

Ayes, as long as the possibility from piles is Venice, and not Atlantis. Laketown seems fitting, but I'd be against offshore oil uh...whaling.. rigs.

BUMP

Docks/piers would be a nice, lower skill bridge option useful to a large swath of players.