Sign in to follow this  
Nomadikhan

Question on Bridges, not the normal gripe!

When bridges are released... how will bridge repairs be handled?  How will improvement of ql be handled?

Will improving be done tile by tile or will it be via the bridge interface?  The same question applies with repairs I believe.

I'm as excited as other players, yet I'm a bit leery of building that mega long bridge if I'll have to spend weeks improving and repairing 43323 bridge tiles lol.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 3

Inb4 fast decay and it takes 1 stone brick to repair 5 damage with 30sec timer per bridge tile.

On the other hand we (or at least I) don't want it to be too easy otherwise every bay is going to be crisscrossed by bridges made for status or boredom rather than actual traffic, every valley crossed by a sky bridge usable only from private hermit deeds. I'm already turned off by the anachronistically long spans. These things need to be moderately high maintenance, although I'd much prefer repairs to not be per tile, as you guys point out. I do hope that a bridge entirely on a deed has lower/no decay encouraging people to build smaller and invest money as well as time. I also hope that except a very few community projects that really benefit the server that we don't get one of these crazy GM protected statuses to every bridge over x tiles.

I've always felt that if you want your creations to endure, you need to maintain them; and projects the community appreciates will be maintained and repaired willingly by the community itself. 

• Like 4

Having built a fair number of buildings and fencing types off deed, the concern of repair time due to decay of bridges off deed immediately came to the forefront of my thoughts. As I imagine many players are considering building them off deed, I believe decay and consequent repairs will become a big issue. I see this as limiting their use in many instances and possibly then not a good thing.

As for on deed tile bridges, I see no reason why they should be subject to any decay at all and will be very disappointed if they are subject to it. Anyway, I am not so eager to build any right off the bat, so I will just observe the results of others before deciding if they are worth the effort to construct anywhere, even on deed.

=Ayes=

We own the island in the far Southeast of Celebration, and were looking to build a 2 wide stone bridge on the western shore to link to the mainland.  We're looking at a minimum of 70 tiles distance here.  So I'd be building 2 platforms and splitting the bridge into 3 bridges.  The goal is to make the arch of each bridge such that from a distance it looks like a single long bridge with 2 large supports in the sea.

Therein is my issue, I'm looking at 70-100 tiles x2 wide of bridge in all, I completely understand maybe once every 4-5 months taking bricks to imp and repair damage.. but I'm not going to spend my wurm life spamming bricks if I have to mend it every single week of my life lol.

Basically asking, will the damage rate be on par to wood and stone house walls, or will it be a higher multiplier?  Seriously doubt I'll get a dev response, more likely to have to wait til it's released in all honesty :(

Personally I hope they tie them to the same mechanics as paved tiles.

"If its used frequently enough, it won't decay."

• Like 9

Personally I hope they tie them to the same mechanics as paved tiles.

"If its used frequently enough, it won't decay."

Decay based on how frequent the bridge is used sounds like a good solution.

no decay  only  option to destroy it will be best...   but only premium can destroy em.  must take some time to destroy it with maul

• Like 2

Wait... a thread about bridges that is not a pichfork revolution against the administrators? What's going on? Is this a trap....?

*pokes the thread with a stick several times to see if it bites*

Actually, I also think that the decay on bridges should be tied into the same mechanic as roads. If used frequently, the decay would be slight indeed. I think that given the point of development, we may be past that stage already. Still, I have a bridge or two in mind for my own deed, which as I understand won't be a problem, but I too shudder to think about all the 1000 bridges that will suddenly pop up all over the server in all directions. After the initial bridge euphoria wears off, we must be able to get rid of those bridges that simply no longer make sense. If they are left untravelled, they would then decay.

Then again, I remember how roads take eons to decay, even when almost never travelled...

Treating it like pavement sounds like a good idea overall.  Then again, anyone with decent skills who's built an off deed building knows how long even a 60ql structure will stay standing - about a year.  If they decide to give it the same decay rate as structures, you have nothing to fear.

Per tile makes sense akin to roads, structures, etc; though, it depends on how it was implemented. A single object akin to guard towers and ships is possible.

Per tile would be one way of limiting peeps from going super crazy unless they can maintain.

Edited by Klaa

If they are linked to masonry skill then the issue of bridges being made everywhere will be unfounded. With that I've been told they are resource heavy so the chance you will see many of these just from that perspective is small. I would like to see skill requirements on slope so again we will have another way of limiting them.

The only way I see bridges being a problem is if the skill requirements are so low that it allows the average pest to abuse them.

Decay would be counter productive. Decay is by far one of the more aggravating parts of the game, if its used as a deterrent to build then don't bother adding it into the game.

On the other hand we (or at least I) don't want it to be too easy otherwise every bay is going to be crisscrossed by bridges made for status or boredom rather than actual traffic, every valley crossed by a sky bridge usable only from private hermit deeds. I'm already turned off by the anachronistically long spans. These things need to be moderately high maintenance, although I'd much prefer repairs to not be per tile, as you guys point out. I do hope that a bridge entirely on a deed has lower/no decay encouraging people to build smaller and invest money as well as time. I also hope that except a very few community projects that really benefit the server that we don't get one of these crazy GM protected statuses to every bridge over x tiles.

I've always felt that if you want your creations to endure, you need to maintain them; and projects the community appreciates will be maintained and repaired willingly by the community itself. 

As opposed to stretches of land across bays and lakes? I'll take bridges that don't block ships to the current landbridges any time.

...soon....every puddle will have it's own bridge.

Be careful what you wish for...saith the Genie.

If bridges are implemented as a single, multi-tile entity, then repair and decay as any other item (colossus, pillar, etc) should be no issue.

The UI for bridges that we glimpsed suggest that they work this way, rather than a per-tile basis, but I'm guessing here just as much as all the other people in this thread.

• Like 1

If bridges are implemented as a single, multi-tile entity, then repair and decay as any other item (colossus, pillar, etc) should be no issue.

The UI for bridges that we glimpsed suggest that they work this way, rather than a per-tile basis, but I'm guessing here just as much as all the other people in this thread.

The way bridges appear to me is that after they are planned with a player at each end of the span, then they are constructed on a tile by tile basis with so many items required to build each tile. After the first tile is completed you can stand on it to complete the next. The same type construction system as building upper floor tiles within houses.

If this is the case then each bridge tile would decay separately and require to be repaired on that individual basis. This would then mean that it will be a heck of a job to repair long and wide bridges per tile, just the same as repairing off deed floors within houses. So this scenario makes the most sense to me regarding building and *repairing* bridges off deed tiles. 

=Ayes=

The way bridges appear to me is that after they are planned with a player at each end of the span, then they are constructed on a tile by tile basis with so many items required to build each tile.

To me the UI suggested the exact opposite, that all tiles are accounted for during planning. We don't have a UI overview like this for house plans, this is why I assumed that bridges would act differently.

Also, it would become unrealistic if the support beams decayed away and you had free-floating tiles in the center remaining... of course this doesn't mean that it's not going to be developed this way. :)

Also, it would become unrealistic if the support beams decayed away and you had free-floating tiles in the center remaining... of course this doesn't mean that it's not going to be developed this way. :)