Sign in to follow this  
Aaron_IRL

Sleep bonus has been awarded...

You know there is something in the game called Sleep Powder that also gives sleep bonus? It can be used when you actually need it. Imagine how much better it would have been to receive a non-transferrable sleep powder for all of the recent downtime that I could use when I did not already have an almost full bar of sleep bonus. If creating and awarding a non-transferrable sleep powder is too much of a pain, it would at least be nice to receive the sleep bonus after it can be announced so we can burn off enough to actually get the award. I guess I should have assumed this challenge launch was going to be a cluster, and burned it off in anticipation for the sleep bonus award.  :huh:

• Like 1

-1 This same argument starts EVERY time SB is awarded.  They have never done it differently and never will.  Just drop it.

• Like 7

Do you also complain publicly about getting free presents in real life?

• Like 2

Do you also complain publicly about getting free presents in real life?

First of all this is not an award neither a gift. It' s a compensation for the lost game time many had to endure. I did  not have any problems to connect or play. But award is a very poor choice to describe it, even for someone like me that speaks english as a third language :)

• Like 1

I have expressed the exact same concern as the OP before. Of course, for those that had empty sb, they will look at this post and feel that it is coming from a whiner or complainer who isn't appreciating the free sb being given out. But I have been on the other side of this. There was one incident where the servers were down for nearly 24h during which time I had made plans to play Wurm. It is nice when sb is given as "compensation" but when your sb bar is full then you get no compensation at all. In the end only some of the player base is actually getting any compensation and to varying degrees. Some might only get 1h, some will get all 5h and some will get nothing.

This system is clearly not fair. It is the equivalent to giving random amounts of compensation to random players or only giving compensation to players who are currently online at a given time.

If the servers are unexpectedly down and code club wishes to give compensation for that, then all premium players should get the same compensation. Personally I would prefer that code club didn't give anyone compensation at all rather than the system that is in place now.

Edited by McGarnicle
  • Like 8

First of all this is not an award neither a gift. It' s a compensation for the lost game time many had to endure. I did  not have any problems to connect or play. But award is a very poor choice to describe it, even for someone like me that speaks English as a third language :)

Regardless of the term used to describe it, its not required and should be accepted as is, not complained about. Unfortunately this is just going to turn into the same circular argument that it always turns into. Maybe try searching and bumping an older thread on the subject, it may have more support allready.

Oddly enough, I had a full 5h on three prem chars, so I "lost" out on 15h of SB...... But yea that doesn't bug me in the slightest.  Why not? because if I did not have the gumption  to use it up in the first place, I actually did not miss out on anything at all, imho.

I actually did not miss out on anything at all, imho.

Would you feel the same if the only time you were able to play that day was during the time the server was offline?

Yeppers, considering I took the day off work (Which was a bad idea considering CC's record on flawless releases) woke up at 6am (Hella ungodly hour) anddddd sat at my computer not playing wurm for what seamed like a pretty long time. 

So Yes, I would feel the same way if I lost time and money (No sweet overtime paychecks this week) and was unable to play. 

I swear if the people on the wurm forums stopped whining about the game and focused on complaining about some real world problem we could honestly probably end GMO foods or spousal abuse. 

• Like 1

Read the user agreement, Code Club is under NO obligation to compensate for downtime.  So don't go calling this compensation, you are due nothing.  It is a gift, and what did your mom tell you about gifts?  Mine told me to thank them politely and if I didn't like the present, keep that to myself.  It was the thought that counted.  Is the SB bonus fair?  No, it is equally unfair to all, more or less, at different times.  Say thank you and keep your thoughts about the gift to yourself.

I don't think this is that outrageous of an idea. People always get bent out of shape over SB handed out, but this time around it seems you people were anxiously awaiting a whine thread to pounce on and had to do with this one. 

If it was in the form of powder, it should be less than 5 hrs because it has more utility. 2 would seem fair, and 2 hrs (on demand) of sb instead of 5 hrs each time this happens does a lot less to undermine the balance between casual and hardcore gaming. 

• Like 1

Sounds reasonable at first Othob, but the first thing that would happen would be those that would complain they don't get 5 hours anymore, even though most of us seldom get a full 5 hours anyway.  And normal sleep powders are items sold by traders, Rolf won't want to give those away just to see some sell them.  It would need to have him take the time to create a new powder that can't be traded.  What he does now is run a script that just adjusts everyone's SB to full, clunky but it works.  And if it works, don't fix it.

Read the user agreement, Code Club is under NO obligation to compensate for downtime.  So don't go calling this compensation, you are due nothing.  It is a gift, and what did your mom tell you about gifts?  Mine told me to thank them politely and if I didn't like the present, keep that to myself.  It was the thought that counted.  Is the SB bonus fair?  No, it is equally unfair to all, more or less, at different times.  Say thank you and keep your thoughts about the gift to yourself.

Edited by topkos

This whole subsection of the forum should just be renamed Troll's Corner.  Then it would be more appropriate.  I came to make a suggestion, and one that has no negative effect to the player base as far as I can tell.  Instead of gathering support for or against the suggestion based on logic, you all would rather argue definitions of words, disagree just for the sake of disagrement, admit that it is a recurring issue that is ignored, and even assume the mind and ability of the game's creator.

My favorite reply so far has been, "And if it works, don't fix it."

If it worked I would not have made the original post.  The startup screen clearly stated the following:

• Sleep bonus has been awarded on the other servers due to the extensive downtime during release

Sleep bonus was not received.  Working?  I guess I should start an arguement about definitions.  ;) 

yeah i think it would be fair to give out non tradeable Sleep powder

For some people its really not fair, their gameplay actually got interuppted during server maintance or w/e and they got nothing, however some didnt even play at that time and got sb for example..

its a big +1 from me here

Although the OP's suggestion of a more logical and equitable way to give out sleep bonus has been brought up many times, it still remains a valid one, with various proposals given. As it exists it is just a distribution system coded on a convenient basis ignoring the obvious flaws that some players will receive more at the random times it is distributed. Lazy stuff resulting in reasonable objections to this type of sleep bonus distribution.

Most likely nothing will be done about this and posts such as this pointing out the glaringly "overlooked" unequal distribution of sleep bonus under the current system will continue to arise. The problem really is not with the players who once again bring this issue to the forefront but the issue itself. Obvious? Seems not, to some.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

This whole subsection of the forum should just be renamed Troll's Corner.  Then it would be more appropriate.  I came to make a suggestion, and one that has no negative effect to the player base as far as I can tell.  Instead of gathering support for or against the suggestion based on logic, you all would rather argue definitions of words, disagree just for the sake of disagrement, admit that it is a recurring issue that is ignored, and even assume the mind and ability of the game's creator.

My favorite reply so far has been, "And if it works, don't fix it."

If it worked I would not have made the original post.  The startup screen clearly stated the following:

• Sleep bonus has been awarded on the other servers due to the extensive downtime during release

Sleep bonus was not received.  Working?  I guess I should start an arguement about definitions.  ;)

If you want to be a special snowflake, let me turn up the heat for you.

"disagree just for the sake of disagrement" Some of us don't want to say the same thing 50 times in a row.

"admit that it is a recurring issue that is ignored," your opinion, not ours, have fun.

" I came to make a suggestion, and one that has no negative effect to the player base as far as I can tell." Apparently it does if people are -1'ing it.

"Sleep bonus has been awarded on the other servers due to the extensive downtime during release

Sleep bonus was not received.  Working?  I guess I should start an arguement about definitions"

He even said Sleep BONUS, where does it say Sleep powder, you know your limitations, yet you argue about them when you have played with them for for a little over half a year. You got sleep bonus, you had a limit, so it was not shown (you were already full), you know the game mechanics.

It is a gift,

You are a paying for something called PREMIUM Time and COINAGE (not sleep bonus mind you.) in this game. You are not entitled to anything, especially since the game and everything with in it is CC intellectual property. It says nothing about 'Certified sleep bonus'

And sure. 'I pay, so he must listen.' Yep, you do pay, you pay for Premium time, not your voice to be heard, the developers can take this whatever way they wish. They havent done anything about it the past 50 times this thread has popped up, what makes you think it'll change this time. (The tumblr answer is: well you gotta try.) Have fun.

Answer me this...

What is so awful, horrible, and traumatizing about OP's suggestion?

And don't say it's because "you worked hard" to burn your SB before releases to make sure you got the 5 hours.

People who aren't able to play that many hours a week have real life responsabilities which, unless you're a sports' star making millions, is MUCH harder works than a good 5 hour gaming session.  Yet you guys somehow insist on them getting the short end of the stick of SB compensations instead of a simple solution as untradeable powders because............................................?   Well, go on.  

Curious that nobody complains about praying and meditation cooldowns being gone after a restart, so that multiple restarts benefit those skills.  Hmm...

I swear if the people on the wurm forums stopped whining about the game and focused on complaining about some real world problem we could honestly probably end GMO foods or spousal abuse. 

Not sure its any of your concern if i beat my wife until she goes into the kitchen to whip me up some Monsanto goodness!!!

Im thinking that no matter which way its done we would still make out. Since my math says we pay roughly 3 US cents per hour if we are prem and at a cost of 5s in the cash shop the game would have to be down something like 175 hours (depending on currency conversion at the time) to even equal 1 sleep powder. We really would have no reason to complain if he only handed out 1 hour for a few hours of down time.

I had full sb but I dont really care. I had all the time in the world to use it and chose not too.

sp has value atm and if this was implemented the price would plummet. Perhaps a no-trade sp could work... however im sure people would find a way to trade it lol... so yeah, lets leave as is.

Sounds like a reasonable suggestion, though it should probably be an alternative item to the in game sleep powder. Exactly the same functionality, but no-drop and untradeable (otherwise you could create a ton of alts and transfer it all to your main). Though while it is a reasonable suggestion, I doubt that the devs would spend any of their limited time on this, they are probably satisfied with the current system.

+1

If I had my way, the 5 hours sleep bonus cap would be removed. This is the single best solution that will end all disappointments players experience with SB.

yea having weeks of sleep bonus surely won't be a negative thing

congratulations 

Perhaps a no-trade sp could work... however im sure people would find a way to trade it lol... so yeah, lets leave as is.

A command similar to /refer so you can enable it via popup box instead of items

Either one use 5 hours given, 5 1 hours, or simply just a command to type that enables it.  5 hours capped, if you haven't used it by the time there's another crash/award, tough luck

done

• Like 5