Sign in to follow this  
Killroth

Introducing Wurm to a friend.

Do you guys ever start with hey try out this great game its pvp is excellent . Combat is very fun. 

I dont anyway... i usually introduce it that you can build anything you want. Explore/mine/build/improve.

It's a sandbox with a very old combat system sure the pvp elements are complex and cool but it looks like rubbish.

Anyways how do you introduce it?

• Like 1

I say its like a more like an in depth and adult version of minecraft, with a skill system.

I find that Wurm only appeals to certain types of people, and a small minority at that. I have introduced the game to many of my friends and none of them stuck with it. Their complaints were mostly that it takes too long to do anything or get anything accomplished. They would often say that the idea behind the game sounds great, but the actual game play is too boring for them. These are people who are gamers who are sick of the WoW formula, but can't seem to find anything to replace it.

After trying out challenge for a bit, I think that if a freedom server was set up with these types of action timers (not the increased skill gain or the epic curve), it would appeal to them a lot more. The main issue was that after playing 1 or 2 hours with them, they saw pretty much no progress (yay, we made a clay jar...quit). But with action timers cut to 1/2 or 1/3 of normal, you could get a lot more done in the same amount of time.

Edited by McGarnicle
  • Like 8

it's hard at first, that's why the kids quit early and real good folks stay around :D

• Like 1

I've never tried to introduce Wurm to any of my 'normal' PC game-playing friends--to be honest i think all of them would bounce off of it and i'd be a small bit embarassed after the fact for recommending it due to its extreme niche appeal. I think Mssr. MG in the ^ above post is absolutely correct that all timers--across the board--need to be reduced significantly. Also, if we are talking long-term, we need to get this beast out of java and into another engine. Its not superficial to say that the game is generally 'ugly' and the feel of it is clumsy-at-best. And the combat mechanics; my god! This game will only see mass market appeal if the combat mechanics are closer to Mount and Blade, opposed to how they currently are which is more similar to Dwarf Fortress

it's hard at first, that's why the kids quit early and real good folks stay around :D

This might have some truth to it, however, I would consider my friends to be good people and it would be awesome if they got into the game. They are the types to contribute positively to the community.

This might have some truth to it, however, I would consider my friends to be good people and it would be awesome if they got into the game. They are the types to contribute positively to the community.

Yea, same here.

I originally brought 3 friends with me and all had premiums. One was a loudmouth, but two others relaxed and cool.

After 1-2months they just slowly dropped out, as I kept going and going.

It's just hard to find the right type to enjoy this. I only enjoyed this as I'm used to grind and I kinda love it :ph34r:

Edited by silakka

i want to add that the friends we have made through Wurm Online (especially on PVP side because of voice com requirements and tight group dynamics) are some of the best people anywhere and i look forward to gaming with them in any other future games, and hopefully we get to meet a few of them in RL and party like rock stars!

Edited by Atlas

I don't introduce Wurm to anyone, nor do I feel any obligation to do so. Perhaps it goes back to my own discovery of these hidden lands, in that I read about them within another's blog who was a creative builder in another online game of that sort. Although he voiced various complaints about the game, my curiosity was evoked and I in turn checked it out.

Since Wurm offered a far more realistic looking world environment it held my attention from the start from what it enabled me to create within it. Yes, initially the timers to do anything were mind numbingly long but the end results were worth the tedium to me. Now years later I can accomplish much within a lesser time frame and still enjoy the results, even more so now that new things have been added over the years and the graphics more pleasing to the eye.

In the end, it is all up to the individual as to if they are attracted to the game or not. Little can be done about that, as I see it. I let the responsibility lie within each person to find their way here or not. Not my concern really.

=Ayes=

Showed the game to 5 or so friends, a few played for a while but none of them actually stuck with it or grinded very much. Just isn't a game for everyone I suppose.

I find the long grinds very rewarding while they had other words to show that they didn't enjoy it.

I did introduce it to some friends :) mostly with: everything you see is playermade! even forests, deserts and seas can be :P 

i think so far everyone got frustrated and quit, due to slowness after a week or 2, except for 2 friends, whom first quit and then came back and tried again, now here for quite some time :D

i discovered wurm on a spanish forum,in a few months i saw maybe 50 spanish people go trough our little spanish village,out of that only me and 2 or 3 others played long term.

this was in 2010-2011 when things were harder on crafting but easier on mobs for new players.

Edited by Tpikol

I've never tried to introduce Wurm to any of my 'normal' PC game-playing friends--to be honest i think all of them would bounce off of it and i'd be a small bit embarassed after the fact for recommending it due to its extreme niche appeal. I think Mssr. MG in the ^ above post is absolutely correct that all timers--across the board--need to be reduced significantly. Also, if we are talking long-term, we need to get this beast out of java and into another engine. Its not superficial to say that the game is generally 'ugly' and the feel of it is clumsy-at-best. And the combat mechanics; my god! This game will only see mass market appeal if the combat mechanics are closer to Mount and Blade, opposed to how they currently are which is more similar to Dwarf Fortress

All of this is "your opinion"

The timers, the skills, the long term, the java, the looks, this is what the creator wanted, and why it is niche, and this is why I am here.

Neither them, or us, long time players, care for the "mass market appeal", and with the influx of typical game kiddies, who bounce in and can only play quick to skill, 6 months and then go type deals, the people who came to wurm, for wurm, will leave.

What you are describing is not wrong, it's just not wurm, it's something else.

If they have a problem with it, I say, go fly off a cliff and good riddance.

Also, if I had a copper for every crying post ever made on the forums, I would have owned half of indy by now.

As for the O.P, who had his topic so brutally cried on, what I usually do is a mix of the first 3 posts. I also warn people "if long term play isn't your thing, it won't work". In the end, wurm is horrible if you just come here to "grind". If you come to play, and let skills take it's NATURAL COURSE, then it's awesome. I still get surprised when I get new titles, when I did not even know what my skills were on a particular skill ;)

Now at least we have pretty ok graphics. I have tried to introduce the game to others before but they just laughed when they saw the graphics and didn't even want to try the game. Now, at least they don't laugh at how the game looks anymore, even though, compared to modern high budget games it still looks old. 

I've tried introducing friends, but in general if it's not a concept that grabs them immediately, they're not going to enjoy it. So far I've had exactly 0 friends stay long term. What typically drives them away is the right-clicking, the insane amount of time it takes to do things, and the lack of "direction" in the game.

That said, do I want Wurm to change? No way. I love it just the way it is.

It was friends who introduced me to the game and we all have deeds near each other. Really helps in the grind of things knowing you have a community of others willing to help out when you need it. Albeit I've only been playing for a few months, but I can tell I'm in it for the long haul, lol. What attracted me was that everything was player made and that I could make all those things and more myself. I had my first deed within a day or two of signing up and immediately began terraforming it into the vision I had for a settlement. It definitely does take some time to accomplish much of anything larger scale, but it's oh so gratifying when you do!

I usually just say if you have OCD issues you will love this game. Been tempted to post Wurm links in forums for people with it.

• Like 3

I introduced Wurm to a young friend of mine and it went like this.

Wow horses! I want to ride one.

Me: sorry you can't. Need to be premium to ride.

Oh. Well then I will drive a cart instead!

Me: sorry you need premium to do that too.

Oh. Take me for a ride in your wagon with the four horses!

Me: sorry that doesn't allow passengers.

Oh. Well im going to go explore and kill stuff!

Me: you wont be able to kill anything for a while. Stay in the village and hit this practice doll for a few hours...

• Like 2

Most people think that the 15 minute travel times in WoW where you can't do squat are pushing it, how could I convince them that paying for playtime in a game where sailing from A to B sometimes takes days will be worth it?

The angle that probably works the best is that you can play together with your friends and form your own villages. And no, I wouldn't promote the PvP. When they realize what the PvP in the game is like you add "You don't HAVE to PvP, the PvE part of the game is way better". Because everyone's seen PvP in other games and there's just nothing sexy about Wurm's PvP in comparison :P

• Like 1

Community and trust.

What you do in-game lives on, even after you log off.

Everything you do matters.

Too small for gold farmers/spammers to ever bother us.

Best GM support, Chat mod support, Forum mod support of any game.

Always in Alpha (sometimes Beta) mode and our feedback often has immediate impact on new features being tested on our live servers (wink). Seriously, I like the Alpha/Beta feel.

.... it certainly isn't game play, mass clicking to the point of destroying my mouse and keyboard.  It isn't the lack of bugs and well polished features.  We all know there is room for improvement, but also know it will always be this way, when operating on a shoestring budget and dev staff that can be counted on one hand.  Possibly the hardest working devs in any MMO, but only so much they can do.

Yeah, I love it here.

I have to age that timers need to be shorter. Average time being about 20sec to add a board to a wall plan is pain for a first time player. Took me about 3days to build my first 1x1 house as a noob casual player

• Like 1