Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 50

LssNW50L.jpg

Hello Fellow Wurmians!

Plenty of overtime, pizza and cola this week working on bridges and Challenge.

Finally we had at least one release somewhat on time yesterday.

Hey, it was still on the same day ok?

It was a big sense of relief once Challenge was running and we could join in having fun.

We are not forgetting about those of you awaiting bridges and I will get to that later in the post.

So lets get to it and

Share some News!

Challenge

After a bit of a rocky start with plenty of people waiting, trying their best to keep each other entertained on Golden Valley.

This of course included plenty of trolling, joking and drama.

Even if it became a bit dragged out there is just something about hanging out in an excited crowd waiting for something with anticipation.

ChallengeRelease1s.jpgChallengeRelease2s.jpg

Click any of the images for a Larger Version

After many resets and last minute fixes everyone was of and it was something to behold.

Wurmians running of in every direction and the first kills within minutes of the server opening.

It was obvious some had already teamed up in advance of the release and was more coordinated in taking on the enemy as a group.

We developers was there as well and Rolf was probably one of the first people to get killed.

Mind you, he has progressed quickly rewarded by his aggressive play style.

So watch out, the next person to chop you down might just be the CEO!

And me? Well, I took a bit more of a careful approach trembling from the overwhelming wrath of the approaching aggressive horde of crazed Wurmians.

I managed to get myself a horse and raid plenty of hota spawn points though.

All the while laughing at enemies trying to chase me by foot or mounted on cows.

- This loot is mine! Hah! You can keep the scraps to feed your cow!

I just love this video that was posted.

It perfectly captures the feeling of playing yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e60ksVHo8z4

A special thanks to everyone who joined in and had fun with the release.

We have an exciting month of gameplay ahead of us.

And thank you all GMs and staff for helping out making the release possible.

You can follow who is in the lead and what is going on statistically on the Leaderboards.

So check that out by following this link: To the LeaderBoards!

You can also find it by visiting wurmonline.com and selecting challenge stats in the dropdown menu of the game info category.

Select Bar

SelectBar.png

Hidden within everything else going on was the live release of the awaited Select Bar.

I have tried it out whilst playing and it is pretty handy.

Especially for me who do not use the default toolsets keybinds on the number keys.

So I found that setting via the key bindings interface numeric 1 to 8 as selection bar shortcuts as pretty effective.

Especially as soon as you remember the icons by heart.

They are all pretty self explanatory but if you are uncertain you can just mouse over one to get an explanation.

The interface is not automatically activated though so you have to go to the ingame menu and find the select bar option to start it.

Bridges

Just as I was talking about last week there are still some pivotal pieces of bridge coding that needed to get resolved before considering implementation.

That unfortunately did not happen even if we were optimistic about it all the way up to the planned initial release date.

We know what the problem is but the issue is that piece of code causing the problem is in turn tied in with many other aspects of game mechanics.

So changing it is risky business. Which also means it needs to be done properly.

What we are doing now to try and get bridges out sooner is breaking the release into parts.

This so we can release the parts that are closer to fully functional and give the more complex aspects further development.

So a first release and where we are feeling most confident at the moment is the:

Land - Bridge - Land setup.

So any:

Building - Bridge - Land or Building - Bridge - Building would be released later.

I also wanted to share some further progress on the art as we have had time to make some further additions by now.

BridgeStagesS.jpgBridgeStagesRockS.jpg

Click any of the images for a Larger Version

So from what you can probably tell, these are the unfinished stages of the building progress of bridges.

Pretty ironic during the circumstances of this post but non he less fitting!

Bridges in Wurm, they look good even if they are not finished I think you can all agree.

Now that Challenge is released we have obviously also freed up some more dev time which means we can have some more certain assessments soon.

We would have liked to have released the Bridges to you by now but things like these are to be expected in game development.

You are never done until you are done.

But rest assured we are continuing development of bridges!

I will keep you updated on the progress and thank you for your patience Wurmians.

Masks

We are keeping up work on masks so take a look at this creepy and cool version.

Skull Mask

skullMask.jpg

As with the other earlier version it is going to be wearable only with certain headgear.

Ok Wurmians this is me signing out for now.

We are going to take things a bit slow on Friday to regain new strength after this crazy week.

One thing is for certain though.

This Challenge release has sparked new passion for Wurm in all of us.

Something that is an invaluable asset all on its own when it comes to developing a game.

So watch out this weekend because we will

Keep on Wurming!

• Like 24

What happened to all of the siege items? Yesterday no one could find how to craft them and we were told they were very buggy and kept out.

Land bridge land is first what we need fast as posible.... We can wait for more ....

• Like 9

Land bridge land is first what we need fast as posible.... We can wait for more ....

Definitely this

the hell, where did that video come from lol 

lol

"watch out for johnny"

yea u better watch out

• Like 1

I still wonder if we get land bridge land anytime soon? just simple eta is welcome

No more ETAs!  Just keep us informed, and when you give a release date, make sure it is a firm date you can make, a DTA (definite time of arrival).

• Like 4

Ah ha RedBaron! Within this statement you have unintentionally revealed the true intent of the Challenge server:

We developers was there as well and Rolf was probably one of the first people to get killed.

Mind you, he has progressed quickly rewarded by his aggressive play style.

>>>>So watch out, the next person to chop you down might just be the CEO!<<<<"

A very clever way for Rolf to take out his frustrations upon the player base, especially those that express their displeasure with him with various exaggerations. Hopefully he will lure a good many of them there to their ambush and death. No doubt his various Dev minions will assist him in this process, unable to resist these opportune moments to slyly put to death these dissenters. All this under the guise of creating a new pvp server for the players. Well done and I commend you for this ingenious subterfuge!

As for me, I am much too wise and weary to be lured in by these veiled methods; so now with this intent inadvertently revealed by you RedBaron, my slightest faint and fleeting thought of ever entering there has been purified and purged from one of the few remaining foolish impulses that urge me into the dangerous situations within the Wurm lands. For me then Village life will continue on undisturbed as I stroll amongst my creations in admiration and appreciation of the constructive purposes that can be achieved over time, where this type of pvp foolishness is kept safely at bay by the more reasonable juxtaposition of the peaceful side of the god of Wurm.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
  • Like 5

Looks like the pvp guys are having fun enjoy your new playground :)

Beyond disappointed in the non release of the bridges!

Most of us have been silent and waiting patiently to get them.

But to put the Challenge release BEFORE the Bridges?!!! What the hell?! :angry:

Please, consider investing your time in longtime players that might soon go away on your empty promises.

• Like 6

Here's a grand idea, instead of rushing a broken project into the game (lord knows you guys love doing it) why not just polish bridges so they work flawlessly, even if it takes a few more months?

All these entitled kids whining about bridges should take a good long look at if they realllllllyyyyy want more half-assed broken content in game.

Edited by Dently

Many of us will be happy of atlast finger soon as posible since we cant get whole hand

the release of a new server Storm was executed very well and the team should be proud. benchmark yourselves against *any* AAA MMO developer with multi-million dollar budget and you will see that you outperform on new launches.

Great job!

• Like 1

Many of us will be happy of atlast finger soon as posible since we cant get whole hand

you talk about my finger homes?

good to hear that it resparked some devs :D afterall it's a very long time everyone is working on the game, specially rolf and I already wondered how he is keeping his interest into wurm (i think alot of game devs are usually either changing developers or stopping development at all after such a long time )

Here's a grand idea, instead of rushing a broken project into the game (lord knows you guys love doing it) why not just polish bridges so they work flawlessly, even if it takes a few more months?

All these entitled kids whining about bridges should take a good long look at if they realllllllyyyyy want more half-assed broken content in game.

Entitled?! You bet !! We INVEST A GREAT DEAL OF REAL LIFE HARD EARNED MONEY!! Bridges have been PROMISED ( in my world that actually means something honorable)

for a Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time with a release date that had come and gone and is hence open ended yet again.

And the excuse of "it's better to wait to get the flawless version" has done worn out...

I USED to be a supporter of that very same quote. 

• Like 3

Entitled?! You bet !! We INVEST A GREAT DEAL OF REAL LIFE HARD EARNED MONEY!! Bridges have been PROMISED ( in my world that actually means something honorable)

for a Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time with a release date that had come and gone and is hence open ended yet again.

And the excuse of "it's better to wait to get the flawless version" has done worn out...

I USED to be a supporter of that very same quote. 

hm.....faszinating....afterall they didn't CANCEL they promise, they never promised that it will come out on 10th december, only ESTIMATED....all those years, they were saying that bridges are a difficult project and after they implemented multi story buildings they even explained that multi story is a big step into making bridges possible...

you can be entitled to having your own opinion, thats all, money doesn't matter, when it comes to buying a game that is in constant development and you KNEW that when you were paying for it...you KNEW that bridges aren't ingame.

but this goes to everyone complaining here...if you think rolf is not doing everything he CAN to give us a nice game, then maybe you should consider not paying for the game anymore, cause obviously you don't enjoy the game in it's current state and there always will be disappointments of something not going as you expected since it's an EVOLVING game. Never meant to be static!

• Like 2

I'm warming up to the select bar and giving the RMB a break.

• Like 3

hm.....faszinating....afterall they didn't CANCEL they promise, they never promised that it will come out on 10th december, only ESTIMATED....all those years, they were saying that bridges are a difficult project and after they implemented multi story buildings they even explained that multi story is a big step into making bridges possible...

you can be entitled to having your own opinion, thats all, money doesn't matter, when it comes to buying a game that is in constant development and you KNEW that when you were paying for it...you KNEW that bridges aren't ingame.

but this goes to everyone complaining here...if you think rolf is not doing everything he CAN to give us a nice game, then maybe you should consider not paying for the game anymore, cause obviously you don't enjoy the game in it's current state and there always will be disappointments of something not going as you expected since it's an EVOLVING game. Never meant to be static!

It's easy to pick apart every item I state and bend it how ever it suits your needs Miretta.

This game has long gone past it's Beta state and should be held responsible/accountable for not following through in a timely fashion.

And Money is exactly what matters, hence the priority placed on opening up "Challenge" to keep wurmians playing and to draw new players into this game.

It is easy to not say anything and just quit the game. It's because I enjoy Wurm as a whole I spoke up.

• Like 6

In the long run i suspect the new challange server will get more players to the game as its more "action" packed with its fast pace.

And in the end some of the players in challange will trickle over to freedom/chaos cluster. Not alot but i am guessing a few.

Bridges... well i have waited this long so i may wait alittle longer.

• Like 1