+1 Something that includes direction of travel and location while sailing.  Something more than just, "[15:22:21] You work out you are in the south regions."  Does this actually work while sailing/moving?

+1 Absolutely! How come we can build caravels but don't know how to navigate seas by stars? Ridiculous.

On 12/11/2014 at 7:26 AM, Etherdrifter said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sextant

Sextants are mid level jewelry crafting items (requiring at least 30 skill to attempt).  They can be made out of any metal.  Optional extra :- some metals (not sure which) giving a slight bonus to accuracy.

To use select, then right click on a visible celestial body (sun or any of the 3 moons) and choose "navigate".  A 120 second timer will start up (reduced by QL of sextant).  When this time ends it will return a message

"After sighting <celestialobjectname> you calculate that your position is roughly (lat\long)".

The accuracy is not a tile by tile accuracy, but a rough location (maybe as accurate as one small server map square).  A nice idea would be to have QL effect accuracy (a 100 QL sextant being capable of giving exact location, scaling down to the map tile location at 1QL).

Each use damages the sextant slightly.

Of course we could also just get one of these for christmas....

Excellent. 

Edited by AlexanderCrunsch
Forgot to make my comment.

Sextants are a way later invention than the timeframe we play in thou.
The dioptra should get more functions instead.

Or else we could use Astrolabes

Edited by Cecci

Astrolabe might work, as well as quadrants.

1 hour ago, Cecci said:

Sextants are a way later invention than the timeframe we play in thou.

Protractors that look like the ones we have in Wurm are from 19-th century. The thing that's called dioptra in Wurm is probably actually a theodolite, which comes from late 18-th century, according to quick wiki search.

The history of navigational instruments is pretty complicated... But come on, we have magic here.

Edited by zigozag

That is details the wikipedia didn't provide, but they state the Dioptra was in use on roman times. (yes a simpler version, some pics on how the tool evolved in link)
The Theodolite looks rather different (pics in link).
Since I have RPed an astrologer on LARP events I do have a sextants myself and did some reading up both today and some 20 years ago :P

• Like 1

Okay, i render myself out of any further argument then :ph34r:

At least we do agree on the point that we need more and better navigation options.