RockyBalboa

Bridges ETA 10th Dec

177 members have voted

1. 1. Are you disappointed?

• Yes again again and again
    • Not this time
    • I dont care

No one is saying that they promised to be released years ago

If you read back through this thread that seems to be exactly what people have been saying ;)

Ah, so your argument is that Rolf never said, "I promise you'll have bridges." Except of course that the actual definitions of promise include "to raise expectations" or "to give good grounds for expecting."

Okay, message received, semantics satisfied. So, no, Rolf never spilled his own blood and swore an oath on the souls of his ancestors.

If you read back through this thread that seems to be exactly what people have been saying ;)

That's where my edit came into play.  ;) 

IIRC, it was 2012 when Rolf said "In by Christmas". Even though he didn't say what year, many assumed he meant that year (even I was naive enough to build my village on Pristine in such a manner as to take advantage of the awaited mechanic). 

Christmas 2012 was 3 Christmases ago if you're counting the one in 12 days. Some people feel a promise was broken. (Personally, I chalked it up to vague Rolfspeak or even Rolfhumor).

I know I am not amused. I've personally waited 8 years for them to be implemented (back in the day, that wiki page I linked you was THE news page. The stuff you saw there excited you.) and he still can't deliver. He can get his team to make him brand new, functioning magic turrets and stuff in what seems to be "the blink of an eye", though...

That's where my edit came into play.  ;) 

IIRC, it was 2012 when Rolf said "In by Christmas". Even though he didn't say what year, many assumed he meant that year (even I was naive enough to build my village on Pristine in such a manner as to take advantage of the awaited mechanic). 

Christmas 2012 was 3 Christmases ago if you're counting the one in 12 days. Some people feel a promise was broken. (Personally, I chalked it up to vague Rolfspeak or even Rolfhumor).

I know I am not amused. I've personally waited 8 years for them to be implemented (back in the day, that wiki page I linked you was THE news page. The stuff you saw there excited you.) and he still can't deliver. He can get his team to make him brand new, functioning magic turrets and stuff in what seems to be "the blink of an eye", though...

You sorely underestimate the complexity of the changes required for bridges - they have literally been under near constant development for over a year now.

• Like 1

You sorely underestimate the complexity of the changes required for bridges - just looking at my record of commit logs, they have been under near constant development for over a year now - a complete year.

Budda, I understand that its complexity is way beyond my comprehension of it. I really do understand, in my exetremely limited knowledge, why a project of its capacity would take so much time. I know the team does what it can in its limited capacity, and really, I don't think you understand how much respect I have for the developers like you and Tich , who work very, very hard around here for next to nothing but some angry people's (admittedly like me sometimes) comments to make them feel unappreciated.

Right now, I have nothing but thanks and appreciation for every dev who has worked on the bridge project to help get it out to us. I feel really, really bad for the dev(s) that have been busting their asses to bring them to us, only to fall short... then have to read comments like mine to make them feel worse. My comment isn't intended to make anyone feel bad, but Rolf. I can not understand, nor accept, his decision as boss to focus on brand new game content (that, really, wasn't even requested) when he, himself, is capable of putting his own development abilities into finishing the things that have been requested and, in some form, promised.

Basically, to sum it up, I'm mad at Rolf for going and focusing on his little pet project, leaving the rest of the team (as few or many as that may be) to try to get bridges out to the ever-grumbling playerbase. He left those devs "out to dry", while simultaneously confusing/angering his player base. He, alone, continues to disappoint me on a variety of levels. 

• Like 4

You know, bridges would be a lot faster to create if Rolf didn't also decide to release broken features and buggy servers on a fairly regular interval. Said by someone with a not-so limited knowledge of programming.

He would also receive a lot less criticism if he stopped raising expectations for things he will then neglect to go through with. Said by someone who has seen it happen time and again.

What would also help is if he actually took the time needed to test features properly before releasing them. Said by someone who was there when he stated that proper testing takes too long so he'd rather not.

• Like 8

He would also receive a lot less criticism if he stopped raising expectations for things he will then neglect to go through with.

Ah, so your argument is that Rolf never said, "I promise you'll have bridges." Except of course that the actual definitions of promise include "to raise expectations" or "to give good grounds for expecting."

Okay, message received, semantics satisfied. So, no, Rolf never spilled his own blood and swore an oath on the souls of his ancestors.

Basically, to sum it up, I'm mad at Rolf for going and focusing on his little pet project, leaving the rest of the team (as few or many as that may be) to try to get bridges out to the ever-grumbling playerbase. He left those devs "out to dry", while simultaneously confusing/angering his player base. He, alone, continues to disappoint me on a variety of levels. 

Magic turrets are not craftable, and do not work, arrow towers do not work, spike barriers are able to kill people in a second by being picked up and dropped on a person.

You can't say that most of the new siege stuff is functional/functioning as intended.

Absolutely zero sign of him "neglecting to go through" with bridges.

Well if you're going to go by definitions of promise, then sure but that's coming at it from the wrong side. It's like alkalis and bases. An alkali is also base, but that doesn't mean something that is a base is also an alkali (alkalis are basically a sub-set of bases). Change alkali for promise, and base for raise expectations. Making a promise does mean expectations are raised but just because expectations are raised, doesn't mean a promise has been made. ;)

My favourite login quote: "Bridges will be in by xmas" - Rolf 2006

In all fairness to the devs though, the bridges they've been working on look absolutely awesome. We're closer than we've ever been! And they'll be here SoonTM.

• Like 1

I would venture to guess it's something like this... They are making certain that a bridge is not going to go right over your tall stone walls, right above your horse farm, right across the entranceway to your main writ and right onto it's balcony with arches and no doors.

I would venture to guess it's something like this... They are making certain that a bridge is not going to go right over your tall stone walls, right above your horse farm, right across the entranceway to your main writ and right onto it's balcony with arches and no doors.

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Dioptra

Yes, planned. Being tested. We have no idea in their testing if they were able diorop right onto balcony and build anyway. They didn't exactly say what collisions you know but the did exactly say that the land to land bridges would be coming out first. That speaks without saying a word. I present you with a bridge that looked great on paper and in concept...

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw

I present you with a bridge that looked great on paper and in concept...

"Added feature" :P

which by the way, really exist. But only at easter.

5.jpg

From "Nine Crazy Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Easter"

Crazy swedes.

Also not a true story. They dress up in hats simply because little boys didn't want to dress up as the Easter Witch. PÃ¥skkarlen doesn't mean Easter Wizard either.

Edited by Aeris

Edit: There was that one year that Rolf said "You'll have bridges by Christmas", but didn't stipulate what year. I believe that was last year or the year before, and that's why some are claiming that it should have been in by now.