Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

Challenge - Build the Battlefield Release Notes!

Kruggen, you really don't understand the situation with bridges.  I have played this game for over 6 years and bridges have always been promised.   They went from someday to soon, and finally it was promised on the 10th of this month.  Now it seems it will be delayed, and the devs don't seem to be able to grow a pair and admit it.  I just want an answer, are they coming tomorrow as stated or not?

As to the new server, I could care less.  I don't do pvp and never will.  I applaud Rolf for always trying to make pvp more successful and I hope this idea works.  But what I see is a lot of current players will be creating new alts for that server, whether or not it attracts actual new players is the big question.  Only time will tell if it is a good idea or not.

Kruggen, you really don't understand the situation with bridges.  I have played this game for over 6 years and bridges have always been promised.   They went from someday to soon, and finally it was promised on the 10th of this month.  Now it seems it will be delayed, and the devs don't seem to be able to grow a pair and admit it.  I just want an answer, are they coming tomorrow as stated or not?

As to the new server, I could care less.  I don't do pvp and never will.  I applaud Rolf for always trying to make pvp more successful and I hope this idea works.  But what I see is a lot of current players will be creating new alts for that server, whether or not it attracts actual new players is the big question.  Only time will tell if it is a good idea or not.

So I just quit my job. Let's get them titles. :-)

• Like 5

Kruggen, this should have been a full announcement about tomorrow's changes, not just Challenge.  After the first announcement Challenge has been a part of the weekly news, right along with bridges.  And bridges are just as big for the game as the new server, probably bigger, so we should be kept just as informed about both today.  The fact that they are suddenly saying nothing about bridges makes me feel suspicious, and a bit cheated.  Challenge came up all at once, just before the promised bridges, and I feel it is partly an attempt to distract us, similar to a bait and switch scheme.  All I want is an answer from the devs, are they coming tomorrow or not?  Telling me to shut up won't help the situation.

• Like 1

I guess I dont understand why so many people are upset about starting a new character?   The character you start will start with 20 skill in everything and increase 20x faster... then die at the end.  what would be the benefit of using your current/long time character?

I mean I understand that it is fun to use your skilled char but Challenge is not a MMORPG Sandbox seems more like an MMORTS.  Its a short lived strategy game, like early warcraft/startcraft (over a month instead of a few hours) but that uses the RPG elements of Wurm.  So, of course everyone would start of at the same level and build offense/defense from scratch.

Not trying to sound argumentative... actually curious.  Am I missing something?

I guess I dont understand why so many people are upset about starting a new character?   The character you start will start with 20 skill in everything and increase 20x faster... then die at the end.  what would be the benefit of using your current/long time character?

Edited by Xallo

Upkeep for the time spent will be gone as well as the tile cost. Protected land is a resource which helps in winning.

Ruler with most land

Title “Emperor Emeritusâ€

10 Silver Coins to character of choice

Marble Challenge Statue

Embellished Staff of the Land

2 months premium on character of choice

I had my reservations at first, but I'm actually kind of surprised at how this turned out. Quick question, though I guess we'll find out the answer to this tomorrow: do we still get regular skill titles on this server? Because I spent a pretty significant amount of time trying to discover certain titles, and it sounds like that effort will have been wasted once this new server gets launched.

So you don't need to pay premium for another account as the skill set would be different.

(And hopefully so you can also transfer titles, items, etc, between clusters)

The reason so many are asking about bridges is that they were to be released at the same time as the new server with all its new mechanics.  Maybe if items that have been promised and taken back over and over would get completed first before totaly new major projects. people would not feel so slighted.  We that have played for year have always known that Rolf wants a PVP game as has been proven time and time again with minor adds to the PVE game that is supporting the WURM in all its shapes and forms.  While time and again a totaly new PvP game is introduced and fails to get the draw.  I sometime wounder if the same level of effort had been put into the PVE servers how much greater would the game be and how many more players would we have.  When things as simple as clothing and so many other improvemnts have been suggested over and over for years and would make WURM a more appealing game.  How many players have left over the years on the account of the slow removal of bugs and lack of development of the PVE game while major efforts are put into these totaly New PvP games.  I for one am not sure if I wish success to this latest effort at a PvP game.  If it makes it I suspect that the PvE game will be left to rot on the vine.  Personaly I hope I am wrong on this as I love WURM and even more I love the quality players that play the game.

• Like 1

I don't think there is an issue with the deed costs really.

You can buy a pretty substantial sized deed for 1g - if 10 people chip in 10s each...there you go.

I doubt you will want such a large piece of land anyway. With only 30 days until reset, you aren't going to be able to, or want to, build a 100x100 deed with 300 high dirt walls.

Smaller, more compact deeds with communal living will be the way to go, which wont cost much to maintain.

Depending on how timers are set, you aren't going to want huge farms or huge animal breeding operations anyway. (Plus, without priests or enchant grass, animal breeding will be painful to say the least)

Wait and see I guess.

• Like 1

While time and again a totaly new PvP game is introduced and fails to get the draw.

By "time and time again" I assume you mean "one time a few years ago"? The entitlement that pours out of comments like these is absolutely unbearable. Take a step back and look at all of the last year's worth of updates through a programmer's perspective (difficulty of implementation, time and resources needed, etc.). Changes to PvP are far less common and usually relatively small, often to the point where it only requires changing a few variables. And you're angry that bridges, arguably the largest and most complicated project in Wurm's history, might be released a few days late just because they want to fix bugs (which you claim they don't bother fixing) rather than providing you with a broken product?

PvE has a stranglehold on the art team and most of the dev team, but people still find a reason to get angry about new features that don't mesh with whatever pet issue they happen to care about. And if it is a feature that their beloved scapegoat (the PvP community) might potentially enjoy, that makes it a hundred times worse. Give me a break.

• Like 6

i want to be honest here: i have never really understood the appeal or draw of bridges in this game....i've seen countless posts of people saying something like "when bridges are added people will come back to Wurm and the playerbase will increase" -- i just cant understand that at all

im not against bridges in any way...just dont see the immense appeal of them

anyways, we should get to see them live soon

good luck to all who go to the new server!

• Like 2

PVP is the real game.

Who cares bridges.

Cant wait for the bugs on Challenge  ;)

I don't think there is an issue with the deed costs really.

You can buy a pretty substantial sized deed for 1g - if 10 people chip in 10s each...there you go.

I doubt you will want such a large piece of land anyway. With only 30 days until reset, you aren't going to be able to, or want to, build a 100x100 deed with 300 high dirt walls.

Smaller, more compact deeds with communal living will be the way to go, which wont cost much to maintain.

Depending on how timers are set, you aren't going to want huge farms or huge animal breeding operations anyway. (Plus, without priests or enchant grass, animal breeding will be painful to say the least)

Wait and see I guess.

I agree I think it will be the best benefit to get a handful of people on a small deed and each focuses on one skill set.  Then provides the rest of the team with high QL items from their skill set. Any deed costing more than 30s would cost more than the payout for winning "Ruler with most land" achievement  

So a benefit to playing Challenge is that you can possibly earn silver and premium time to give back to one of your toons on Freedom/Epic?  Am I reading that correctly?

That is one way of putting it, sure ;)

Haven't seen it or i forgot if i did, but are we going to need to premium up for anything or is this a totally f2p server?

Free premium for everyone on challenge.

ETA on release? >.>

Well based off the time scale he gave in his OP we are still about 4 hours from the earliest point so I would say 4hours from now if you are really lucky and everything went smooth....

If they wanted it to be a bit more full when released they might wait a few hours and do some more tweaks to get more of a land rush

i just know there will be big step back if today no bridges and only new server....

• Like 2

Forget those bridges, they will come when its rdy.

Will be fun to see what this new server can do to the game!

Forget those bridges, they will come when its rdy.

Will be fun to see what this new server can do to the game!

Indeed, Wurm is gearing up to become Bridge on the River Kwai in reverse: The train wreck before the bridge.

Edited by Vetarnic
  • Like 1