Sign in to follow this  
Outlaw

What Happened?

I had to take a short break from Wurm for some real life reasons.

Came back and... Total Players: 356/8000... :o

It was pushing 1k+ before I left. (I'm in a different timezone now and its currently mid-day GMT and early morning US, might have something to do with it)

I guess everyone's in bed in the US and most EU's would be at work.

Aussies, well they're probably just going to bed.

EST 6:22 AM

CST 5:22 AM

PST 3:22 AM

GMT 11:22 AM

AEDT 10:22 PM

Edited by bwg

Yeah, I guess people are back to work now and the timing. Just panicked me a little seeing such a low number!

Aside from that, it is a Tuesday, which is I'm sure is a day less people log on(especially this late/early)

Also, I think the fact that it's winter makes people more likely to login, silakka. Not as many people go out during the winter and stay holed up in their dens :P

Edited by williamwierd

Welcome back. :) If you are still pvp interested I can get you in on something fun.

Edited by Sharkin

*cough* I think you guys mean summer, its summer in the real world :rolleyes:

• Like 3

I guess taking a single snapshot in time isn't a good barometer of real activity. Also, as others have said, timing is everthing.

My own lifecycle of accessing Wurm tends to vary quite a bit, sometimes I don't access for a week or so, other times I'm on all hours that I am not sleeping or working so I'm guessing this will be similar for others too.

Welcome back. :) If you are still pvp interested I can get you in on something fun.

Please pick from one of the following interchangeable excuses:

It's past New Years, everyone is burned out.

It's past Valentine's day, everyone is burned out.

It's Spring Time, everyone is burned out.

It's Summer Time, everybody is burned out.

School is starting, everyone is burned out.

It's Fall, everyone is burned out.

It's Halloween, everyone is burned out.

It's Winter, everyone is burned out.

It's almost Christmas, everyone is burned out.

It's almost New Years, everyone is burned out.

The real reasons are more likely to be because there is a very large and anticipated patch on the way for Wurm, and the largest influxes and reductions in playerbase happen around these times. Most people subconsciously or intentionally take a break before the patch comes out so they can fully enjoy the patch when it comes out. After the patch is out, expect the early-morning population to shoot back up to 600/8000, and daytime population to reach 1400/8000 again. A couple months after the patch, expect the population to dip even below our current numbers. It's just the will of the people, and the people are fickle. There have also been a slew of fairly highly anticipated single player games that have come out for the PC over the last few weeks, which, as Civilization BE has shown us, drops the number substantially until people get sick of those games and come back to Wurm.

I don't know why people's first go-to excuse is the time of year it is, predominantly because that fallacy of an excuse is so ridiculously interchangeable that it has absolutely no meaning.

I'm going to start collecting quotes to use in future threads.

Edited by Dairuka
  • Like 1

Premium numbers are the lowest in 2 years, and theres no bottom in sight yet.

Edited by Judicator

Please pick from one of the following interchangeable excuses:

It's past New Years, everyone is burned out.

It's past Valentine's day, everyone is burned out.

It's Spring Time, everyone is burned out.

It's Summer Time, everybody is burned out.

School is starting, everyone is burned out.

It's Fall, everyone is burned out.

It's Halloween, everyone is burned out.

It's Winter, everyone is burned out.

It's almost Christmas, everyone is burned out.

It's almost New Years, everyone is burned out.

Don't forget the "We had the same numbers this time last year"

A homework joke that's showing my age. Since the world doesn't use paper any more it seems, eating paper won't be a good excuse.

• Like 1

What I don't get is what has that to do with ignoring the declining player pop.

One thing that happened was Archeage - lol, half the playerbase of Wurm went over. Were starting to cycle back in now. Luckily for Wurm AA tripped over its own feet a few too many times and Trion cant seem to get a handle on things. A few too many daunting issues for them to handle and XL Games doesnt seem to care much about it....Sooo, I would expect a few to start cycling back in from here on out. AA still has a couple good release stages to go yet, so playerbase of Wurm may still fluctuate till AA releases everything and people get bored with it.

People probably tried to pay for premium but gave up when they started rubberbanding from their chair on the way to the bank, or they died when teleporting up to the fifth floor and were thrown to the ground five times in a row.

• Like 2

Half my alliance is on archeage right now, though last I heard the novelty was waining.

Half my alliance is on archeage right now, though last I heard the novelty was waining.

It is, too many issues with land, exploits, seiges, bugs, bannings, apex, markets -its a laundry list of issues. And its a play by numbers game, so the novelty will wear off pretty quickly, however, it does have a lot going for it still so itll retain a lot of players if they can just get past all the bugs and exploits.

What I don't get is what has that to do with ignoring the declining player pop.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the declining player pop pretty much like the season, holidays, and everything else. It's as good of an excuse as any other when people won't even look at the fact that the player count is down. Just log onto Xanadu and you will see high numbers. That's enough justification to say the desertion of the other servers is just seasonal or whatever else.

• Like 1

It is, too many issues with land, exploits, seiges, bugs, bannings, apex, markets -its a laundry list of issues. And its a play by numbers game, so the novelty will wear off pretty quickly, however, it does have a lot going for it still so itll retain a lot of players if they can just get past all the bugs and exploits.

Don't know if you are talking about Wurm or Archeage.

• Like 1