Sign in to follow this  
SotG_is_OP

To PvE: Why don't you PvP?

Why don't you want to PvP?  

302 members have voted

1. 1. What is keeping you from wanting to PvP?

• PvP seems boring
    • PvP mechanics seem broken
    • I don't want to lose all my stuff when I die
    • The community seems harsh and/or negative
    • I don't think that I can catch up in terms of stats/skills
    • I don't feel that I know enough about game mechanics
    • I don't feel that I know enough about PvP tactics
    • I don't want to use VOIP
    • No idea - never really thought about it
    • I already PvP and need an option to vote for
    • Go home Buddy; I work alone. (I don't like the group aspect)
    • I don't want constant conflict
    • There doesn't seem to be enough action on current servers
    • I don't want my deed to be raided while I'm offline
    • I am afraid that I will be mistaken for a spy and killed or outcast
    • I am afraid that I will be killed as soon as I spawn
    • I just don't want to PvP in Wurm.
    • I don't like PvP-oriented games.
  2. 2. If you were to try to PvP, which server (cluster) would you choose?

• Chaos
    • Epic
    • Challenge
    • I already PvP, but I find my current server/cluster choice to be inadequate
    • I'm picking this because I PvP and don't have another suitable option
    • I'm not going to PvP
  3. 3. If you were given the chance to learn the ropes of PvP from an established group, would you?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm already a PvP player
    • I play on a PvP server, but I still feel that this would be a good opportunity for me

Amongst the reasons for why I don't PvP I'm missing an option in the poll, namely that I don't like to see my deed wrecked (of course hardly an issue for the Challenge Server). Besides that I'm not interested in losing all my stuff when I die (just another chore to get replacements) and the PvP (combat) mechanics don't interest me much either. I've got other games for PvP, for me Wurm's main strength is in it's PvE side, I don't ever see it competing with other PvP games out there.

Edited by Ecrir

The fact of the matter is whenever a poll comes up asking this question there is always an underlying presumption that somehow pvp is more exciting, therefore "better" than pve.....and that people who don't realize that are "missing something".

The presumption is arrogant, narrow minded, and ultimately completely wrong. I for instance have played many wargames, as I'm sure many others have who don't, or no longer, bother with "Wurm PvP" As a few have mentioned...other games can have much more direct and appealing pvp for many reasons, and just because someone doesn't pvp in Wurm, doesn't mean they don't elsewhere.

But those attitudes in Wurm exist and lead to an unbelievable toxicity in inter-personal communication that to be honest leaves me stunned sometimes.

For me the absolute reason Wurm PvP doesn't work is daily visible in the type of regard people show to each other, sometimes in the forums, sometimes in game. Some of it can only be described as disgraceful.......and of a level that no 2 actual people would say to each other in reality unless they knew, and wished for, a real..mortal conclusion. That's how people get killed.

The new Challenge server might possibly help the situation..idk. At the least it will give a new opportunity for people to team up and play a PvP..GAME!!

Any game needs winners and losers..it needs players. Denigrate, insult, be offensive to, or otherwise despise your opposition will simply reinvent the Wurm cycle - and many will once again simply react with - "I really don't need this crap".

So in answer to the above question I'll let that last stand - "I really don't need this crap".

That's why.

Edited by Heboric
  • Like 2

I don't pvp because I don't like losing my stuff.. I have played games before that you built your kingdom, walls, armies- Empire... Just to have it torn down in one shot. It isn't fun to lose everything you worked hard for.

Not that I haven't tried it and enjoyed it a bit. I did play on Epic.. But to me, it was someone else's deed and the stuff I lost there didn't affect my permanent deed on Freedom.

Nice poll. Might be good information for the devs.

What most PvE players don't understand is that each kingdom are awesome separate communities. I havnt been in all of them but I'm pretty much sure I can say that each and every kingdom looks after it's players, plays different games, works together etc ect. PvP as especially chaos, to me, seems like the "end game" content where on freedom you skill to be good there and that has definitely been the feedback we get from our freedom recruits.

Find a kingdom you like and jump into the deep end if you've been thinking about chaos, you won't regret it.

Edited by Redd

to PVP: why don't you play PVE? Because you simply don't like it, maybe.

Isn't pve deed building, crafting, hunting, breeding, etc things that are required for pvp?

Imo the reasons I see most are; losing stuff and not enjoying the combat mechanics

Edit:  the poll seems to agree with that, along with the whole community being harsh/negative.  I think both freedom/pvp communities are equally harsh honestly, while both have their own sense of tight knit communities, but.. then we're just describing humanity in general :P

Edited by MrGARY
  • Like 2

I don't think it's a case of "PvE players don't understand" most PVE player understand all to well.....they just don't like PVP.

If your a player that likes PVP  your going to try it 100% ...that's your bag.

As for me, in most MMO's there are alot of scumbag players that only want to steal, destroy and mess with players....they get off on it and makes them happy to upset others trying to have some fun in games.

These type of players are drawn to PVP like a moth to the flame cus it lets them do what they want and it totally legit.

But thats only 1 point, others are...

To build a large / good deed in Wurm takes a long time....so who in there right mind would want to do that and put RL cash into the game only to have a group come and destroy it and steal your cash from your token.

There's loads of other stuff that i could go into why Freedomers don't want to PVP but the post would be way to long.

There's no problem with PVP and how it works and if your a player that likes that type of thing then cool but PVE players like there PVE....and adding this new Challenge server maybe a good idea to let player who want to try PVE to try it on a level playing field where all players are the same level and there's no Vets on there.

Lets just say it comes down to this - "What ever floats your boat" .....players don't PVP cus they don't want to.....if they did they would try it.

• Like 1

It's funny, I'd love to see a thread about PvE needing more players, but it'll never happen. PvE doesn't need to convert people the same way PvP seems to.

• Like 1

It's funny, I'd love to see a thread about PvE needing more players, but it'll never happen. PvE doesn't need to convert people the same way PvP seems to.

PVP is a group game, it needs people by default. PVE might as well be on your own private solo server, the only time most PVE meet another player is the once a year impalong.

I dont pvp because it's full of horrible people, between the cheating, griefing, verbal abuse, it's more enjoyable to do cold sales calls or customer service than interact with wurm pvp'ers.

• Like 2

Cause it takes so long to build up a deed just a waste of time doing it on PVP and it getting destroyed  or possibilty of being destroyed. 

Cause it takes so long to build up a deed just a waste of time doing it on PVP and it getting destroyed  or possibilty of being destroyed. 

it takes a week or less to build a defensible deed (with 2-3 others)and when its raided its not usually destroyed unless you have really pissed someone off and they actually wanna spend 3 days 24/7 online catapulting it down digging it down then sanding it all. but ya usually you would just have a few walls missing that would just need to be replaced

To be honest, Wurm with its very slow progression, time needed to do/achieve anything and "semi-idle" game pace is mostly PvE game. Most of us are just afraid to lose all items - especially expensive, good weapons/armors. In addition, many PvE players just want to play and don't worry if their deed and storaged items will exist day later, especially when you don't have enough time to play regularly.

Challenge might change that and I will play it with group of friends, but only if progression will be REALLY fast (everything at least 10-20 times faster than on other servers).

And how many weeks to re-breed all the good horses?

big old woppin 0 (because you ask for breeding horses from your neighbor and if they dont give them you just go in and take a few its a pvp server ya know :ph34r:  )

I can't find one answer in the poll: it takes too much time. To PvP in Wurm you need to sit in front of computer for several hours non-stop.

The options don't quite cover my situation:

I have PvPed on Epic and Wild, albeit not a huge amount but enough to have been involved in some memorable events.

I would take the chance to learn PvP from 'pros' but only because it is useful and interesting to learn not because I would use it except maybe in sparring tournaments on PvE. 

The first question was easy though: it's the community that puts me off PvP, pure and simple.

• Like 1

A few reasons:

- Token draining (giving random internet idiots the ability to steal my shop bought coin while I sleep).
- Timesink. I spend too many hours as it is over in PVE. To compete against the turbonerds over there, I'd have to quit my job and devote my life to Wurm.
- In the current Wurm era, it seems more of a game of who can forum PVP/get crap nerfed-buffed than it does actually battling against your "enemy" in game.

Last, but not really a reason, I find all the GIFs, comments and jokes that more than a handful of the PVP players make via the forums fairly immature. The forum posting habits of some players turn me off from the server because, as everyone knows, you're forced to work with/live with/tolerate people in your kingdom. Sure there are immature idiots over on PVE too, but I don't have to work with them, play with them, or even interact with them if I don't want to.

Edited by As_I_Decay
  • Like 5

Sure there are immature idiots over on PVE too, but I don't have to work with them, play with them, or even interact with them if I don't want to.

were you an only child?

• Like 1

were you an only child?

To humor you, even though I know you asked in a manner as to insult me, no... eldest of 4 (all born in the same decade).

To really answer the question at hand, I am an adult in my mid 30s. I have learned in life that I don't need to associate myself with those that I don't like and/or respect. My career gives me enough of that, thereafter I can pick and choose who I associate with.

• Like 13

Tbh, any game I've played up to Wurm that allows pvp, or especially encourages it, I've been that newbie ganked constantly by much higher leveled and/or skilled players.  That is enough to put a sour taste in your mouth for a very long time.  I don't play that/those games for long and look for the next.  Wurm is the best game I have ever found in 20 years of computer gaming.  I love that there's an option, and no I wouldn't even consider setting foot on a pvp server.  

• Like 1

PVP is just such a serious thing here, between emotions running high(cranky players) loosing gear and loosing skill. And that is the fun part after a sucky sailing trip for those of us that are navigational challenged .  The best directions just don't help much when you are lost and stressed out sailing around chaos. 

Portal to challenge,  no damage to my main, just butt kicking fun? you bet  happy to try it. If it turns into a hate fest then  I won't try it more than once. Hopefully I will always have friends and acquaintances from All kingdoms to enjoy  my time in Wurm with.

Edited by Chiqa
  • Like 2

Already answered with some detail in the past. Not interested in doing so again, other than to state the desire to pvp is a part of ones ingrained personality. Really no changing this, which needs to be realized by those who think those who don't participate in it do so for some lack of the systems employed within it.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

The fact of the matter is whenever a poll comes up asking this question there is always an underlying presumption that somehow pvp is more exciting, therefore "better" than pve.....and that people who don't realize that are "missing something".

Of course I would think it's more exciting because I play there. However, I do realize that a lot of players don't like it. I understand the alienation and negative attitude because I'm one of the main targets, so my intentions are different.

While I would like more people to PvP because populations are low, I realize some would and some wouldn't. With that in mind, this poll is mainly out of blind hope that PvP might be fixed and changed to appeal to a wider audience while keeping current groups satisfied. This would mean changing more than just game mechanic; the way bugs are reported, handled, and fixed, game moderation, IRC/email suggestions, forum moderation, etc. would all need to be looked over and changed. This wouldn't be easy, but I would hope that it would be possible considering the points that a lot of people brought up are legitimate. Sure, mechanics might be broken, but it goes beyond that - far beyond that.

I'll post a few random videos of some PvP on Epic, incase anyone was wondering what PvP looks like. Keep in mind the videos may contain profanity as they contain recordings of the voice communications that were used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcqzeXAVsIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO_8uOONwJw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDW3L9tPkcM

The fun part of PvP for me is how strategy matters so much. In the middle of combat, you have little choices other than special moves, shield bashing and properly positioning yourself. However, the circumstances leading to the fight matter a lot. You could choose a good spot to archer your enemy's horses from, you could set up a bait for the enemy in order to lead them to a trap, you could all target one particular player to kill him very quickly etc. All these things make a huge difference in a fight.

• Like 9

Because its fighting for the sake of fiighting. There is no benifit to the player other than that of being able to fight other players. There needs to be very good reason to engage in a pvp battle especially in Wurm as losses in some cases can take a long time to recover from. So why would anyone that likes the PvE side of things want to waste time, effort and money on pvp? Whats the reward other than perhaps some Epeen bragging rights.  The concept of PvP in wurm is more like a boardgame rather than any MMO. Its just fighting for fightings sake.

If your going to PvP just for the sake of fighting..take some clues from Rift or WOW (Fast paced, No real losses, lots of eye candy and Epeen)...If your going to have PvP based on or worked into the economy then take some clues from Eve or Archage (Fast paced, Real Losses, but recoverable in some to most cases, and battles have meaningful effects on the rest of the server/world/whatever, Economic tie ins).

Here is another thing -battles must impart some excitement, not "Great im a meat shield or im going to get ganked as soon as I step on the field", real excitement, players must feel like they have a chance to contribute to the sucess of that battle other than being a meat shield. They should feel like they have a niche, someway they can contribute, even if only a small contributuion. Perhaps if trade was tied in they could not deal with the main sieges, they could sneak in supply ships (Naval warfare?). The list is endless on how this could be achieved.

Bottom line is, there is no reward for those that enjoy the pve side of things. Building castles and forts and such is fine, but not so much when they have no real meaning and the combat tactics have pigeon holed construction to nearly a single "type"/"layout". Here its clear the way these things are built have one way they should be built and all the creativity that pve'ers get enjoyment out of is carted off and thrown over the side of the cliff.

And this whole concept is not limited just to pvp...its the same for pve - building for buildings sake alone is not enough...it must mean something. The people that play pve enjoy aspects of creation. The ability to be creative. When you introduce the ability to destroy what they worked so hard and long to build with no reward.... then there is no point.

Edited by sunsvortex
  • Like 5