Sign in to follow this  
SotG_is_OP

To PvE: Why don't you PvP?

Why don't you want to PvP?  

302 members have voted

1. 1. What is keeping you from wanting to PvP?

• PvP seems boring
    • PvP mechanics seem broken
    • I don't want to lose all my stuff when I die
    • The community seems harsh and/or negative
    • I don't think that I can catch up in terms of stats/skills
    • I don't feel that I know enough about game mechanics
    • I don't feel that I know enough about PvP tactics
    • I don't want to use VOIP
    • No idea - never really thought about it
    • I already PvP and need an option to vote for
    • Go home Buddy; I work alone. (I don't like the group aspect)
    • I don't want constant conflict
    • There doesn't seem to be enough action on current servers
    • I don't want my deed to be raided while I'm offline
    • I am afraid that I will be mistaken for a spy and killed or outcast
    • I am afraid that I will be killed as soon as I spawn
    • I just don't want to PvP in Wurm.
    • I don't like PvP-oriented games.
  2. 2. If you were to try to PvP, which server (cluster) would you choose?

• Chaos
    • Epic
    • Challenge
    • I already PvP, but I find my current server/cluster choice to be inadequate
    • I'm picking this because I PvP and don't have another suitable option
    • I'm not going to PvP
  3. 3. If you were given the chance to learn the ropes of PvP from an established group, would you?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm already a PvP player
    • I play on a PvP server, but I still feel that this would be a good opportunity for me

I don't like PVP or conflict in games in general. Win or lose, I always end up feeling awful and don't want to play anymore. There are VERY FEW exceptions to this, and I don't see Wurm being one of them because of the time investment.

I also like more permanent progress and settling down. I don't want to risk losing all of my stuff or having a place I worked hard on get ransacked and trashed. It would make me feel like all that time and effort I spent was for vain and that playing was completely pointless. I also have some issues with trust and prefer to live off on my own so I wouldn't really have any safety net.

• Like 4

None of the above...

I've created a new character on Challenge, just to try it out, but based on what I've seen so far I don't think I'll stick around for long. However, I don't really identify fully with any of the options in the first section of the poll.

I play solo, as in I have a deed with me and my alts, because I am limited by RL in how much time I can commit to wurm.

I may play a couple of hours a one or two nights a week, or have a multiple-month break, or play intensively for a weekend, so I feel I can't be more committed to a community than helping as and when if I have opportunity to do so.

So I think I would feel like I was letting the team down if I were to do PvP actively (or pretend to)

But also, what is meant by "do you PvP"? To actively go out to seek conflict or play on a PvP as opposed to PvE server?

I ask because I like the idea of helping out behind the scenes - be it as a miner or smith or farmer or whatever - on a PvP server, where even the what I do is part of a bigger picture, but also my inability to commit a lot of time wouldn't mean letting the team down to the same extent as if I was an active combatant.

In fact that was very much my early experience of wurm, before it went gold (the first time), I wandered the wilderness for a few hours after starting, stumbled upon Kyara and was taken in by them. I joined late in the game, so I was never going to become a significant contributor, but I did what I could and very much enjoyed the community.

• Like 1

Please stop with the accusatory claims. It's merely a way to find problems in blind hope that they will some day be fixed.

Aside from that, some people make their decisions based on misconceptions. They still may not be into PvP, but some may try it if they find the truth. One misconception is that all PvPers think that PvP is the only way.

This thread is a precursor to the truth: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/115061-getting-into-pvp-facts-and-misconceptions/

Edited by Clatius

Because fighting in MUD games allow you more interactions during the fight than you can get in Wurm.

Do keep in mind the guy who posted this was confronted on Skype, he was asked what he was talking about, and completely avoided the question like he did in the thread. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't credit it as an accurate representation, but people aren't me.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 1

I'm really not sure how to vote in this one; 
I played on epic for a reason that probably confuses Wurmians: there are griefing tactics in pve-only places that I can essentially take out out play, when it comes to Epic. 
I'm mainly a lone wolf, whenever I play Wurm. Sometimes I take on newbies and show them the basics, till they grow up and go do their thing. Sometimes I'll bring my brother or sister into it with me. But I like a small community at most. 

So there are two reasons I stuck by Epic (and.. will admittedly probably come back to Epic).
1) Let's say someone knowingly and maliciously plants a plot just to interrupt your grand design. (..that could be vanity talking on my part. shhhh<3). You can annihilate them, or die trying. (it's the heart that counts, right?)

In my case, I played with a now friend-of-mine and our small community pretty much guarded her as the little sister of the group, including -my- little sister. This one little (swear) decided it'd be a FANTASTIC idea to harass her, give her all sorts of biased crap, make fun of her and in general be a nasty person.
In Freedom, I can.. what, complain to the GM? That doesn't suit me.

Needless to say,
we killed him a LOT, took the penalty and explained our karma/wanted to passers by, all the while flinging the little scumbag's corpses at his own house as a gigantic "piss off" sign. I don't take kindly to people being complete scum to people I care about, and I don't feel there's much I can do about it on a server where everything is so protected.

If anyone in JK remembers Tyler (is he still around? lulz), he has a rather high bodycount just from my helping out other people who were complaining about him. I felt good about that - I don't have the world's highest skills or anything, and I'm lazy as hell when it comes to levelling, but as an immersion player I like feeling like my character has an adequate place in the world.
(Looking that over, wow, I sound violent. Hey, it's -a- solution. :P And to be fair, I died when I was a younger player quite a bit, and I deserved a good portion of em!)

2) And this is a small one, but I kinda like the occasional thrill of "ohcrapohcrap." I'm not big on Wurmian Raiding Tactics, or well-versed in them. But I dislike what I've seen mainly.
That being said, a spot here and there are good for stimulation.

Besides those points, I am a pve'er. Just, in my own way.

• Like 1

Do keep in mind the guy who posted this was confronted on Skype, he was asked what he was talking about, and completely avoided the question like he did in the thread. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't credit it as an accurate representation, but people aren't me.

i mean really

gUg8ebF.jpg

Is that so?

O_o propheteer wasn't the one who wrecked silver depot and that's not even the same issue, not sure what point you're trying to make

I've never played a pvp game and never will.  I play games to relax and have fun, and I don't see that with pvp.  Too much testosterone and chest thumping, I personally feel it brings out the worst in people.

• Like 2

Is that so?

I'm not sure what that has to do at all with the thread in question or myself.

• Like 1

Things that PvE players don't like dealing with that kind of underhanded tactic as part of the game, when they say PvP crowd can be rather dirty, to which PvP players say "we're really clean and honorable in our gamestyle" and get offended when we disagree.

Thing is I'm sure most PvE players will agree when I say it doesn't bother us too much as long as you do it to each other, but really... don't try to convince us that PvP is about playing fair so that we can hop over to get ganked ;-P  (somewhat hyperbole before y'all blow a gasket.. somewhat).

It's fair game to you guys, not to us.  Want a few hundred PvE players to move to Chaos, gonna have to start writing your own rules of engagement among kingdoms and stick to them.

Even old armies would sometimes see their leaders having a 15 minute talk before the battle where they'd agree to certain rules... "No swordsmen armed with crossbows, that's cheap" so to speak.  Check out the Challenge forums, like that screenshot y'all "don't get".  And Storm's population couldn't hold up with Xanadu's for a full week, I see about a third gone been checking on and off all day.

And I never said propheteer did anything, I don't particularly even care who did or didn't. 

"I wouldn't credit it as an accurate representation, but people aren't me."  "Is that so?"

Edited by Mordraug

Things that PvE players don't like dealing with that kind of underhanded tactic as part of the game, when they say PvP crowd can be rather dirty, to which PvP players say "we're really clean and honorable in our gamestyle" and get offended when we disagree.

FFS I see PvP'ers are also kinda thick-skulled.... 

You ask why we don't PvP, we say why, you say it's not true, then you say it IS but it's "part of life" .. yes YOUR lives, not the lives we want aight?

Your broad generalizations from a couple peoples actions really don't help your cause, people like that exist on both pve and pvp servers, at least the ones on pvp servers are not hiding behind gm protection.

Griefers finding ways to hide behind GM protection on PvE servers doesn't make it any less desirable to go get "legally" griefed on PvP servers.

你是愚蠢的?

Spent a few hours on Storm to give it a try.......So they doubled down on why I dont want to do pvp in Wurm. Now instead of buildings being pigeonholed into nearly a single style /layout, they are utterly meaningless due to server wipes.

I do however like the skill gain. thats quite nice. Its all still clunky and heavily group biased. I dont think this server was ever intended to lure PvE'ers over but I wanted to give it a whirl just to see. Im done now, back to PvE.

The only question I have at this point on a server such as storm, whats the point of skills now?, why not just give everyone 100 and be done with it. I mean if you have server wipes whats the point? So you have a chance to win some prizes, and deeds are a complete loss in money you spend. Sounds a lot more like a lets squeeze a few dollars out of the pvp crowd rather than any learning /experimentation platform. It certainly doesnt seem like its there to lure any new players or existing pve players over. All the people I saw there were many I have seen before. Same names different server.

Edited by sunsvortex
  • Like 2

You ask why we don't PvP, we say why, you say it's not true, then you say it IS but it's "part of life" .. yes YOUR lives, not the lives we want aight?

Griefers finding ways to hide behind GM protection on PvE servers doesn't make it any less desirable to go get "legally" griefed on PvP servers.

The only question I have at this point on a server such as storm, whats the point of skills now?, why not just give everyone 100 and be done with it.

Not even sure what you are saying here, no one said griefing doesn't happen, and like it or not, its still a "part of life" playing on a pve server.

And if i am going to be griefed, I would prefer to have the ability to do more than sit there and watch.

• Like 2

PvP on Chaos is like playground basketball with only one ball.

One guy steals the ball, kicks everyone else in the nuts, takes the ball and runs home, then complains when no one wants to play with him.

• Like 12

Under which PVP server you should put a "not sure".  Personally I have never looked into it bc I would like to PVP in the future... but the far distant future. 

Also, my interest as a noob (4 months playing everyday) is to focus on my main to get skills up and my deed on my PVE server the way I like it and still learning about the game. 

I like to play alone without having much to worrying about other than what I feel like puttering on at the moment.  I plan to eventually fart around on a PVP server in my travels, maybe even start a deed or have an alt there... but collecting sap is higher on the list of things to do ;)

A few reasons:

- Token draining (giving random internet idiots the ability to steal my shop bought coin while I sleep).

- Timesink. I spend too many hours as it is over in PVE. To compete against the turbonerds over there, I'd have to quit my job and devote my life to Wurm.

- In the current Wurm era, it seems more of a game of who can forum PVP/get crap nerfed-buffed than it does actually battling against your "enemy" in game.

Last, but not really a reason, I find all the GIFs, comments and jokes that more than a handful of the PVP players make via the forums fairly immature. The forum posting habits of some players turn me off from the server because, as everyone knows, you're forced to work with/live with/tolerate people in your kingdom. Sure there are immature idiots over on PVE too, but I don't have to work with them, play with them, or even interact with them if I don't want to.

Edited by Battlepaw

Just tried pvp for the first time today on the challenge server, i was really excited before hand.  But once it came to combat it was totally pointless, the lag was ridiculous.  Every few seconds my screen would freeze up for a second.  I turned down my graphics and still the same thing.  Im fairly certain its not my computer or internet connection.  Needless to say it was quite infuriating.  If someone has a solution to this then I might consider pvp, but I cant say its worthwhile with the lag im suffering.

It's nice to see someone working diplomatically between PvE'ers and PvP'ers when relations look to be so harsh ^-^ Personally, call me a "carebear", but... well, I've just never been one for competitive things- especially when loss is so... well, major. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to condemn this sort of gameplay as "parasitic" or something; I understand as far as not wanting to harm other players, refusing to partake in clearly intended and widely employed gameplay is kind of extreme.

Oh, there's that and the disappeal of losing what RPG's inherently make a journey to acquire >.<