Sign in to follow this  
SotG_is_OP

To PvE: Why don't you PvP?

Why don't you want to PvP?  

302 members have voted

1. 1. What is keeping you from wanting to PvP?

• PvP seems boring
    • PvP mechanics seem broken
    • I don't want to lose all my stuff when I die
    • The community seems harsh and/or negative
    • I don't think that I can catch up in terms of stats/skills
    • I don't feel that I know enough about game mechanics
    • I don't feel that I know enough about PvP tactics
    • I don't want to use VOIP
    • No idea - never really thought about it
    • I already PvP and need an option to vote for
    • Go home Buddy; I work alone. (I don't like the group aspect)
    • I don't want constant conflict
    • There doesn't seem to be enough action on current servers
    • I don't want my deed to be raided while I'm offline
    • I am afraid that I will be mistaken for a spy and killed or outcast
    • I am afraid that I will be killed as soon as I spawn
    • I just don't want to PvP in Wurm.
    • I don't like PvP-oriented games.
  2. 2. If you were to try to PvP, which server (cluster) would you choose?

• Chaos
    • Epic
    • Challenge
    • I already PvP, but I find my current server/cluster choice to be inadequate
    • I'm picking this because I PvP and don't have another suitable option
    • I'm not going to PvP
  3. 3. If you were given the chance to learn the ropes of PvP from an established group, would you?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm already a PvP player
    • I play on a PvP server, but I still feel that this would be a good opportunity for me

Personally, it was a few factors that set about me leaving Chaos.

I lost a town I worked 8 months to build when Rolf changed pvp 3432 times withing one year.  Constant rule changes forced my group to consistently build and rebuild our town and fortress depending on what ninja change he made that day.

Building The Furious Gulf took a bit over 200k dirt (closer to 250k iirc) and damn near 25-30k bricks/mortar, and close to 10k planks) and by the time it was done, we still had months of surface mining to do and an entire tunnel system to secure.  Needless to say, about 70% of my group quit wurm for good,...

I could not get backed by JK on the topic of recruiting.  We took anyone that wanted to give pvp or JK a try and lost many recruits waiting on elders to say yay or nay for them to join.  I still blame Norad, wolfers, whatever toon he's bought these days for undermining our efforts by telling elders our recruits were spies.  After a while we created our own process and started recruiting anyway, obviously some were happy we were trying, others did not like that we didn't wait on their slow traditions (again Norad).  I got tired of trying.

The last straw was I spent an entire month spamming longhouses alone and when the fortress was done... I was just about the only villager left...

Why stay on a pvp server if your the only villager in a 45x50 fortress deed?  That's asking for death a million times over.

I handed the writs, deed, and keys over to 2 people that wanted to stay and I left.

Now, I have a project sports car, a baby daughter, and a job that combined take a lot of time.  I just don't have the time to spare for pvp raids, skirmishes, or the interest in dealing with politics all over again.

edit: typo's galore fixed, hopefully. It's late lol

Edited by Nomadikhan

I have fought AI critters with the combat system we have. Predictable combat that is not predictable because the combat system is not good here. All the skill in the world doesn't help an RNG dice roll. The dice decide the outcome almost every time. Just stand in one spot and beat on a troll. You will win, you will lose. Now actively engage it. You have the same odds. Give a better system, I will PvP. Plain and simple. I PvP in other games. I don't PvP in Wurm.

The thing is, that sorta is one of the misconceptions.

Sure RNG plays a factor, and there is only so many actions you can do once in combat, but there is a lot of strategy in how/where/when you engage.

Circling around in lighter armor for that flank bonus works fine 1 on 1 but even to a non-PvPer, the lucrative target of a lightly armored flanker says "pin cushion" for archers. Thus, you are back to wearing plate and holding a shield and being slow and not able to really maneuver to flank. It's not really a misconception as I have dueled and have won duels using that strategy... go in light, flank, kill. The difference is I was not being rained down upon by a hail of arrows and actually got to finish the move before I was cut down simply because I am an easy kill at range. In a skirmish, I doubt I would even make it to my target to flank it before I was cut down just because of the easy kill opportunity.

You only walk the same speed when you all weigh the same weight meaning when you all wear the same armor which you pretty much must do unless you want to be a pin cushion but to not be a pin cushion you need a heavy shield and to stand still so you can block because there is no more difficulty hitting a moving target? A moving target should be nearly as hard to hit as one standing still that has a shield. All this says to me is wear plate and hold a shield which again goes back to a post I made earlier saying you have pretty much one option for gear.

Hit from behind even with a shield should bypass the shield as your shield is in a hand in front of you. You should not get a shield bash on an attacker that is behind you unless your shield is strapped to your buttocks and you have a superflex butt. Meaning simply, there is really no skill involved at all but incomplete mechanics being utilized to affect the outcome of a fight in which RNG is the rule and not even position matters, let alone skill.

The posts in this thread have done nothing to even twinkle a consideration to try PvP here. It's only confirmed my opinion on not ever even trying it. So I will kindly take your advice to "otherwise don't."

1. ive put too much time on freedom, and might as well keep

rounding up my skills there. would like to pvp some but when i

switch server clusters i get no sleep bonus so im forced to

sleep in freedom, so i cant really play both sides.

2. Rules of the game change too often.

And usually change to nerf something not improve. there are many

workarounds for doing things to survive in pvp, but you need

to keep on top of it like a fanatic or you lose a big edge.

(rules change too often in pve too but the penalty is less severe).

It's like people prefer to just stick to their misbeliefs and refuse to listen to anything otherwise. 

I surely hope anyone actually interested in learning anything would like to ask questions where applicable

• Like 5

What I have learned from this thread is that pvp servers and the people in it are still incredibly misunderstood, bolstered by a few that purposely tell lies to further the misunderstanding.

It's not the people there that turn me off PvP. I like quite a few of them and know a couple in their Freedom form. If I said anything against people, it was not intended. I don't like the game mechanics and certainly not combat in lag. I simply said none of the posts about PvP here and elsewhere convince me that those servers work any better than the one I am on now. I readily said if the game performed better and had a better combat system, I might participate as I do enjoy limited PvP in other games. I dislike combat vs AI critters in Wurm. I seriously doubt trying PvP here would result in a change of opinion. I'm not knocking their community and I apologize to anyone who took it that I was because I was trying to say the posts did nothing to convince me the system is any good which has nothing to do with the people who enjoy it.

hmmm lets see, I've always been on the PvP server even though in recent years I've done no PvP.

The broken combat system (with its patched patches), its a bit more endemic than that but I now really, really dislike it.

Time. To do PvE stuff I log in, spend exactly the time I need and log out. To PvP I would have to dedicate at least an order of magnitude more time. I do not have that time so I cannot PvP whether I want to or not.

Related to time is the risk vs reward. I personally accept this but I fully understand that others can look at the cost of gearing up which is many, many hours and how quickly you could lose it, under five minutes of combat.

Personally I don't pvp simply because I don't have the skills required. From what I hear, a huge axe is absolutely not useful on pvp, meaning I'd have to grind ls+lms. I suppose one day I will. Or maybe I'll just wait till they make other kinds of weapons viable on pvp as well.

Similarly it seems my PoK will put me at a huge disadvantage vs SotG users. I suppose it's fair that "casual pvpers" with PoK aren't as good as "pvp builds" with SotG, but from what I hear, I'd be like a 30 lvl WoW character trying to duel a 80 lvl toon.

Edited by Bittereinder

small problem with the options available.

I don't want to lose ANYTHING when I die. 

I don't want other players taking my deed upkeep.

I don't want other players destroying parts of my deed I worked hard to make.

None of those things have to happen if you don't die and you don't buy your own deed.

I suggest just joining someone else's village for protection. I'm sure many of you could bring a lot to a village with your knowledge of the game. 

You wouldn't even have to spend your own money if you don't want too.

• Like 1

Wurm PvP is awful, ugly and sometimes incredibly buggy but its also some of the most fun I have had playing computer games.

I would say at least try it you might be suprised

• Like 1

It's like people prefer to just stick to their misbeliefs and refuse to listen to anything otherwise. 

I surely hope anyone actually interested in learning anything would like to ask questions where applicable

• Like 6

I didnt find my own reason in the list above for why I dont PvP.

My reason is that I believe PvPing requires you to play more than logging in an hour here and there as I can do on Freedom. (Sometimes I cant play for weeks.)

Grinding, replacing lost equipment and so on.

Not to mention being prepared 24/7 to login and protect your own deed.

• Like 1

PvP side of this game is totally unbalanced, Devs made a thread about this but i only see a new borning cluster and not solving the issues of "PvP" for the existing clusters.

I will not again list the problems here, but I just say that those who don't have anything can't even win against who has everything. Where's the balance?

I have stated my opinions a few times in various posts. I played on Epic for a good while, and I played on Chaos some. My main issue was always with the personalities involved in PVP. There are a few 'main' groups of PVPers. If you wanna PVP in any realistic way. You are gonna have to group with them. Most of them I just do not get along with at all. So with the tiny PVP community it leaves many with no path to PVP unless they want to do so in a not effective manner with a tiny group. This tiny group will never have access to the higher tiers of metal/armor as one of the 'main PVP groups' will be in control of HOTA/dragon armors.

Missing the question: Because pvp kids ruined it. No voting till is there. And now they are crying because there is nobody to fight anymore.

Edited by topkos
  • Like 1

"You're safe as long as you don't make your own deed, and don't worry, armor and weapons are supplied as fast as you lose them."

You guys subliminally recruiting cannon fodder?

"Welcome to Chaos, FRONT LINE INFANTRY.  Good to see you join us mate, FRONT LINE INFANTRY.  Heeey nice ship, FRONT LINE INFANTRY!!"

*grin*

• Like 2

What I have learned from this thread is that pvp servers and the people in it are still incredibly misunderstood, bolstered by a few that purposely tell lies to further the misunderstanding.

• Like 2

Having a goal to eventually get to try PvP .. was soon dashed onced I came across a PvP group on my own PvE server and supposed alliance. The unnecessary rudeness towards me put me off the experience. Why would I want to call people like this comrades if they treat people this way unnecessarily? While I hope that not all people on PvP are like this ... it sure doesn't make me want to hurry up and go there.

It's definitely the people that put me off. Just saying my own opinion and experience and reasons for my vote. 

I was on Wild/Chaos for 3 to 3.5 years, but I like to be a hermit and that doesn't work well for Wurm PvP. Simple as that. I will, in time, when I have the time (currently I have very little time to be in Wurm), return on one of my accounts to get ivolved in some PvP, but I'll just be joining a village, not setting up my own home.

Hi,

this is a quite biased poll, and will not give good results - in the way the questions are asked, and grouped.

So lemme explain my view to them:

What is keeping you from wanting to PvP?

The fact that there's no PvP in Wurm at all.

What Wurm has may be called PKing, or a dueling mode, but it's not PvP as it is commonly defined.
PvP, at least as I understand it, is a competitive way to play on even ground, where player skill counts, and not money/ time spent. Such may play a role, but must not be a deciding factor.

I played PvP in a number of games, enjoying it a lot: UT, GuildWars, World of WarCraft, for instance. In all these games it was fun, challenge, and excitement.
In Wurm the so-called "PvP" is a dull imitation, compared. Nor for me. Offer something better, please!

If you were to try to PvP, which server (cluster) would you choose?

There is no real PvP in Wurm, so keep your servers/ clusters.

Whereas I have to say, would Rolf finally get some better kind of combat going, Challenge would be where'd I go. What we know of the rules now at least promises some kind of "real PvP"!
But I doubt this ever will happen, after the first turn there. The well known old players will make Rolf drop it, and make it a copy of Chaos again. Exactly like Epic was castrated.

Irony: Rolf made "his game" to be the PvP-game-to-rule-em-all, and failed miserably.
Instead he accidentally made the best-until-now sandbox game for PvE, but is most unhappy about.

Instead of accepting his failure, and realizing his accidental success, he still tries to get his dreams going on, and ignores his success, and the money-making results ...

If you were given the chance to learn the ropes of PvP from an established group, would you?

I don't need to learn the ropes of PvP. Quite sure I PvP'ed before you learned about the meaning of the ESC key and the ALT key ...

And I'd never ever think of joining the poor imitation of PvP that Wurm today offers, if that's what you mean.

Have a good time!

• Like 1