Sign in to follow this  
SotG_is_OP

To PvE: Why don't you PvP?

Why don't you want to PvP?  

302 members have voted

1. 1. What is keeping you from wanting to PvP?

• PvP seems boring
    • PvP mechanics seem broken
    • I don't want to lose all my stuff when I die
    • The community seems harsh and/or negative
    • I don't think that I can catch up in terms of stats/skills
    • I don't feel that I know enough about game mechanics
    • I don't feel that I know enough about PvP tactics
    • I don't want to use VOIP
    • No idea - never really thought about it
    • I already PvP and need an option to vote for
    • Go home Buddy; I work alone. (I don't like the group aspect)
    • I don't want constant conflict
    • There doesn't seem to be enough action on current servers
    • I don't want my deed to be raided while I'm offline
    • I am afraid that I will be mistaken for a spy and killed or outcast
    • I am afraid that I will be killed as soon as I spawn
    • I just don't want to PvP in Wurm.
    • I don't like PvP-oriented games.
  2. 2. If you were to try to PvP, which server (cluster) would you choose?

• Chaos
    • Epic
    • Challenge
    • I already PvP, but I find my current server/cluster choice to be inadequate
    • I'm picking this because I PvP and don't have another suitable option
    • I'm not going to PvP
  3. 3. If you were given the chance to learn the ropes of PvP from an established group, would you?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm already a PvP player
    • I play on a PvP server, but I still feel that this would be a good opportunity for me

Regardless of who you are or what you have said in the past, I'm not going to judge anyone, so I expect the same from everyone else. This is a serious poll that shouldn't be taken lightly.

Pretty simple. I'd like to see why PvE players don't like PvP. There are a few options in there for established players as well. This might help the developers if they decide to take on properly balancing and fixing PvP after Challenge is set up. I think most PvP players feel that bringing in skeptical PvE players could help ease the tension and break the misconceptions, as well as up the population counts on PvP servers.

Many people will call out some of the options in the poll as misconceptions, because quite frankly most of them are. Regardless, many people feel that way and it's good to understand what people feel and consider what can be done to fix it. Feel free to discuss this below, but keep it on topic.

Edited by SotG_is_OP
  • Like 2

Offhand Id say its the "losing one's stuff". Takes a certain mindset to be fine with such a kill or be killed.

Most pvp groups love new players... once they've determined you are a legit new player.

once they've determined you are a legit new player.

Thanks for reminding me - editing poll with new option.

The main reason i don't like it is i am not any good under pressure and i like to work alone. Like the challenge server i want to try it but i don't really want to try it for the pvp but to explore and check out the new faster skilling system.  

• Like 1

Whenever I've played Wurm I've always avoided PvP.

I have no interest in it whatsoever. Not in wurm. There are plenty of games which do pvp much better, and I don't play wurm for its pvp. If I want pvp, I'll log on one of the innumerable MMOs with it, or open up DOTA, or a random FPS, or something like that.

I've played Wurm for its crafting and building aspect; dying over and over and losing all my stuff because I haven't grinded for three months to get max fighting skills doesn't appeal to me.

PvP in Wurm seems, from an outsiders perspective, to be highly underdeveloped and slapped onto largely PvE elements, and has what I like to call the 'Warhammer Syndrome', named so for Warhammer Online, a pvp-centric game infamous for how its 'pvp' largely consisted of waiting for the enemy group to be offline, then running around and grabbing all of his stuff. Very little actual fighting occurred and it was mostly about resource theft.

If you like that, fine, great for you! I hope you enjoy Challenge. But you won't see me there.

• Like 2

you missed 2 options "i would never pvp on any game" and "i would never pvp on wurm"

but having to answer those 3 questions makes it imposible for me to answer anyway.

there is a quote i saw on the forums years ago that was great and makes very clear what i think about pvp on wurm.

"playing wurm for pvp its like playing wow for the terraforming"

• Like 2

I was on Chaos for a few weeks, and I didn't get the chance to try too much exciting stuff, although that's probably due to my own schedule.  Overall not much exciting stuff happens, and you generally go into it under geared so as to not lose your stuff.  Chaos is also very 1 sided, I don't like the idea of being slaughtered endlessly, and joining an overpowered kingdom seems pretty lame.  A lot of things in your list probably apply to me personally, but one of the things that stopped me from even going over there was probably my lack of understanding the different mechanics that apply there.  BL is a great bunch of people, very kind, and overall I've had good experiences with Chaos players in general, more so than a lot of pve players.

So if my option is to suffer needlessly, or exacerbate the power struggle problem, I choose to opt out.  I may go back someday if it's more competitive, but I think that's pretty unlikely anytime soon.

As far as Epic goes, Wurm is a massive time sink.  It's hard to accomplish what you want on 1 toon, much less another toon restricted with 1 hour cooldown times to go back and forth.  It just seems like it'd be spreading resources too thin.

An addendum.  There's accounts around that make mine look like a day 1 noob, and I'm fine with that, that's why you work hard in Wurm, but having people near unkillable due to artifacts or champ status is kind of a depressing prospect.

Edited by ShadowRonin
  • Like 2

I think you are going to find the conflict to be the the main one here people that don't like conflict will not want to pvp in a game either. I don't like conflict in my real life and avoid things like people that drink since they tend to be rowdy and more likely to start conflicts when they have had to much. 

Edit: You will see a lot of the PvE players trying out the challenge server because they have nothing to lose no skills lost or items..etc  I am not sure if they will stay long but they will be there at first until they learn that it was the conflict that they did not like not so much losing their stuff. 

Edited by Kegan

I've played Wurm for its crafting and building aspect; dying over and over and losing all my stuff because I haven't grinded for three months to get max fighting skills doesn't appeal to me.

PvP in Wurm seems, from an outsiders perspective, to be highly underdeveloped and slapped onto largely PvE elements, and has what I like to call the 'Warhammer Syndrome', named so for Warhammer Online, a pvp-centric game infamous for how its 'pvp' largely consisted of waiting for the enemy group to be offline, then running around and grabbing all of his stuff. Very little actual fighting occurred and it was mostly about resource theft.

This pretty much sums it up for me. I've never tried the pvp servers, I'll admit that, but from an outsider looking in, this guy pretty much nails it.

There are a gargantuan number of better alternatives out there. I play many of them, while I grind on my PvE account in Wurm on another monitor.

Edited by Dairuka

It will not let me answer because section 2 has no "none of the above" as option. 

I will never PvP in Wurm, no matter what changes they were to make to pvp,  and section 2 assumes I would be willing to try one of the servers. 

• Like 4

to PVP: why don't you play PVE? Because you simply don't like it, maybe.

• Like 3

Everyone has a reason as to why they dont like or it why they think they won't like it.

I think I've seen this poll before...

Oh yeah I have.. It happens every six months or so a pvp'er decides to poll PvE to try to "stick it to the man" on the topic.

Please stop, if it's not an ingame poll then this isn't going to get sufficient feedback to be worth anything.

For me, the answer why it is no is simple in my mind and I will put it bluntly: the combat system here is very lacking. The gear system is somewhat lacking. Without spending 100+ Euro, I have 5 cookie cutter armor options. I have a bit better options with weapons but I have no real way to enchance my strong points and bolster my weak points other than beating on a cow with a shield for hours at a time. In games I find the mechanics to be fluid and have options and, most of all, relatively little lag, I enjoy PvP at times.

The second group of questions should have the option:

I'm picking this because I won't PvP and don't have another suitable option

Edited by Tristanc
  • Like 1

I did play on Epic for a short time. Combat in Wurm needs serious help if it wants to be taken seriously as a PvP game. It's not that I don't PvP at all - I like world PvP sort of situations in other games. But Wurm PvP is not fun at all. There's other games out there that are much better if PvP is your thing.

Beyond that though - Wurm for me is all about relaxation. I have a high-stress, conflict-filled job IRL. Coming home and logging on to deal with conflict in a game just isn't that fun for me. I'm a typical carebear I guess - I want to build nice things, pick sprouts, farm, and create things, not worry about spies and raids and whatnot.

Different strokes for different folks. :)

• Like 7

The second group of questions should have the option:

I'm picking this because I won't PvP and don't have another suitable option

Poll edited again

• Like 1

I just need that sense of danger. freedom life is just to peaceful.

Edited by Aetherion
  • Like 1

freedom life is just to peaceful.

I think a lot of people who don't want to PvP join PvP servers (especially Epic home servers) to have the carebear-ish play style while still being allowed to deal with their own problems instead of getting GMs involved. Regardless of PvP, that alone is enough to make me want to be on such a server. It still comes with some risk though.

• Like 1

I'm not a big PVPer anymore. However when I do, I prefer skill based PVP and Wurm seems like it would be 90% stat based. "Whoever can stay logged in the longest grinding skills, gets the upperhand."

I'll probably give it a try with the Challenge Server, if we get an easy way to port over. But even then, i'll most likely just return back to "zen out" with the wife in PVE.

Broken pvp mechanics, and boring pvp mechanics (I'm looking at this from a Epic blacklighter perspective)

Door/gate humping isn't fun. Neither is buliding 300 dirt walls to make a deed defensible. Why are house walls stronger than tall stone walls? I don't mind losing stuff (in a way, it's part of the "thrill" when I'm outside a safeish area. Generally I don't take stuff I can't afford to lose.)

Also there's no real choice as far as gear goes. Right now it's basically full plate with longsword and shield or go home. Leather and chain get you singled out and curbstomped once you are focused. The supposed benefit of the lighter armors (mobility) is negated by the fact that your head becomes an arrow pincushion faster than you can say Legolas. Speaking of arrows, while I think archery has a place in Wurm PvP- I think it's horribly broken. While at shorter ranges it's feasible to aim at specific bodyparts. At long or extreme ranges, it should be a crapshoot.

Finally, there's little player skill in wurm pvp. Assuming two people have the same gear, whichever person spent the most time grinding will generally win a pvp encounter. While there's nothing wrong with stats/skill numbers having some effect on PvP. I think Wurm relies too heavily on this. There's no easy fix to this without a MASSIVE overhaul of the current combat system.

Personally I found the epic HOTS community very welcoming and very helpful (To a point, I've spent too much time playing in lowsec and nullsec in EVE to fully trust anyone :P ) While I wish I could spend some more time with these folks. Until there's some major changes as far as some of the PvP mechanics go, I'll probably continue to carebear it up on Pristine.

TL;DR: No real choice for gear or combat role, lack of player skill based PvP, combat mechanics that would have been barely acceptable 15 years ago.

/2cents

Edited by Karthannar