Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 49

It seems everyone from Freedom is excited about this new PvP server, while PvP players are saying it's going to suck because PvP is broken. How can a new game mode work when its core features don't?

are people gonna be able to build bridges like in those screens?

I realy don't think a bridge like that is possible, especialy the stone one

Yes, you'll be able to build ones like these.

MUSIC! Thought it deserved a shout.  Been playing the new music ingame all day now and quite enjoying it!  Great job!!  Changing my settings to include it now.

• Like 1

are people gonna be able to build bridges like in those screens?

I realy don't think a bridge like that is possible, especialy the stone one

Much of the wurm content seems relatively realistic so they might have researched "bridge physics" for the system lie they did for ship contruction (maybe not 100 percent factual but close enough).   The wood one has some supports, we can;t really tell from the angle if the stone does too. It's not really "proof" but there are some long high arched bridges in historical pictures. The wooden 'rainbow bridge" (called a camelback bridge, perhaps due to the high arch?) is celebrated in chinese art and literature (Northern Song Dynasty (960–1127)  The stone one is the  ancient  Ioánnina bridge in greece which dates back to ottoman rule (mid-15th century ?)

rainbow_bridge.jpg  gefyri.jpeg

different style but there is a 721 foot long bridge in Slovenia (arch span of 279 ft) Maybe we have some expert engineers who can tell if the team is "stretching it" but I think long ones are possible. 

578b446e504075b553049e61aee66a41.jpg

How many tiles long is 721 and 279 feet, in Wurm distances? 6-10 feet per tile?

Some historians say the first roller coaster was built under the orders of Russia's Catherine the Great in the Gardens of Oranienbaum in Saint Petersburg in the year 1784; which is old if not quite as wurm's supposed time age (which is invented anyway :P so a little stretching is ok). In fact the russians seemed to be quite fond of sliding down steep manmade archways

ChildrenA933_detail.jpg

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Yes, you'll be able to build ones like these.

Is the arch arbitrary, or a building choice? Like will we be able to choose to build straight or arched? I ask because such things matter on a PvP server. If it's a choice, is the height of the arch an option as well?

More details! Mooooore!

so for the slovenia one, about 21 "wurm tiles" for the arch alone, 55  for the full bridge. Could not find dimensions on the chinese one (too old) but the supposedly "historically faithful' painting showed an estimated 4000 people crossing it.

We don't have a scale for the Wurm ones and the angles might be deceptive but the photos may only show a 8-12 tile arch.   It's not hard proof but it dispels a small amount of doubts on what is possible. 

Is the arch arbitrary, or a building choice? 

I am nearly certain I have seen them run photos of straight non arched ones (which may need to be shorter, the arch I think is what allows the support?)

I am sure someone can find the earlier pix of straight bridges.

edit: I found this one, you may get a choice of having a straight flat road atop an arch:

248878.jpg

more flat bridge images with NO arches,  from red baron here:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/90958-news-update-work-and-progress-week-46/

I'll be the unpopular opinion and say that I don't love the looks/textures of the trebuchet.. It looks far too shiny and unrealistic, almost cartoony.

I miss the sort of weathered feel things in wurm used to have..

Edited by Acurapassion

That is shown in some 3rd party program it looks like i am sure once it is in-game it will be fine. 

Oh wow, now my Mag priest is going to be everywhere. He'll practically be famous! ;)

• Like 1

Challenge map looks like a POS to me. Seems to me the goal of challenge would be much easier to achieve in a map like elevation. More land mass less rivers lakes etc.

Will the size of the bridges depends on your masonry skill (for stone one) or carpentry skill (for wooden one) ?

Edited by Zetuka

Why is challenge still going ahead considering the opposition against it? Why are you wasting precious Dev time which could be better spent fixing things which are already in the game?

• Like 5

Why is challenge still going ahead considering the opposition against it? Why are you wasting precious Dev time which could be better spent fixing things which are already in the game?

Because Rolf wants a private server for every player .p well by writing this I claim Xanadu for me :D

Edited by Calimdor
  • Like 1

Probably because the community doesn't decide what goes through and what doesn't. I think Rolf probably wants to see how the new server will go, rather than believing all the predictions that a lot of people have made.

• Like 4

Guys its only 1 month 0.o....if its bad... it can be ended after that one month trial..

Guys its only 1 month 0.o....if its bad... it can be ended after that one month trial..

1 month + the already wasted resources for several months.