Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

2014 Dev Q&A question submissions

Hi Everyone!

I'm pleased to announce we will be having an end of year developer Q&A This month!

2014 has certainly been a big year, with many updates and new features just a week away, but I'm sure you are all just as keen as I am to see what is in  store for 2015.

This thread will be your opportunity to provide questions which you and the player base want to ask our dev team, this thread will be open until the 9th of December. From there we will filter through the questions and provide you with a list to vote on, the top voted questions will be put forward to the dev team in an interview style report to be shared with you all.

Please keep questions constructive and polite, this is a chance to gain insight to the developers procedures and plans to come so off topic posts and questions that cross the line will be removed.

I look forward to working with you to find out just what's in store for next year!

Regards,

Retrograde

• Like 9

What is your intention with traders? If you want to change the mechanics of them which is well within your right and ability, could we get a refund of some description which will remove the income you are finding hard to redistribute fairly?

Also first.

Edited by Fooligun
  • Like 2

Will you be looking at reworking the combat system in wurm before th release of the challenge server as new animations are being worked on, a numerically balanced system would be nice to have. if it looks overbalanced when a large group use the same set up this might not be the case so working from the numbers and ground up would be nice.

E.g. Having a truly functional weapon/armour balanced system with potentially documented balances in how spells/archery/melle will interact on a balnced system.

Edited by Fooligun

What is the long-term goal of PVP?

Are you happy with the current state of Chaos and Epic?

• Like 1

What is the specific mechanism whereby traders receive funds from the kingdom pool (i.e. what affects when / how much they get), and how does that relate to the rare coins mechanism?

• Like 3

Do you think that Epic was a success? If not, is Challenge the "New and Improved" Epic that you originally wanted?

What are your thoughts on the current meditation system, and the rewards for higher levels?

Have you considered the possibility of consolidating several of the Epic servers, and maybe even the Freedom Isles servers? This could bring the (limited) player-base closer and encourage more PvP on the PvP servers.

Will dyes look the same one day again with GLSL on/off ?

• Like 3

A final verdict on traders would be very welcome. What are their purpose in the future? I own a couple of traders, what should I do with them, disband now or wait because there might be a refund later that I miss out on if I disband? 

• Like 1

1. Are there any plans to make it easier to actually use upper building stories? We need a means to quickly walk or drive vehicles to upper stories. Personally, I would add magic levitation tiles.

2. Please elaborate on how you feel about the "sails-down" suggestion for boats. In this suggestion we are asking for a way to disable wind's influence on the boat and maybe a slow (2 or 3 km/h) minimum rowing speed.

3. What are your feelings towards, or are then plans, to increase proximity or range required to load/unload things? Right now in order to load things into a boat the objects often need to be so close you often can't see them when embarked.

• Like 2

When will the issues with /playtime be fixed.   My annual account is currently sitting at 7 months consecutive time which is obviously in error since he has been premium for well over a year and I noticed the fact that I was getting my reward later than everyone from the beginning.  If the timer was reset for everyone last December why are the rewards not basically happening at the same time for all the player that have had full paid subscriptions from that time to current?

In a related issue, will there ever be a method to decide where you receive your loyalty rewards.  I play both epic and freedom and it's a toss up where I get my monthly reward.  I never know when the reward will show up.  Granted who care about yellow potions they do nothing.   but a spyglass there is a significant reason for wanting it to show up on one side or another and under the current mechanic no way to do so.  This goes for any "real" future item that has value  and obviously is further complicated by the incoming challenge server.

• Like 6

If the Challenge server is successful is there any plans on expanding it and add a PvE version or add in a PvE zone to the PvP map for the ones that are not interested in PvP but want to have fun building/exploring? 

Do you have plans to release on Steam or through any other platforms? Can you tell us about it?

What ideas/projects does the team have to expand the player base in the next year?

• Like 4

Is the unbalanced nature of meditation paths and abilities every going to be examined in a meaningful fashion

• Like 7

Do you support the third party population&/who monitors to monitor server crossings etc like has been released lately? Will you do anything to stop it?

just a small reminder, when posting topics for the Q&A, please submit ideas only and not debate the merits of another posters questions as well as leave discussion of the ideas posted until the Q&A event.  otherwise this post could get very muddy, long, and confusing.

• Like 4

Do you have any plans on a mining revamp in some way.

Namely making it that the lower the QL  (poor ) would take less hits to brake wall  Rock only of course.

As it is theres 6 main QL  , lowering amount by 4 or 5 per would be handy..

What technical hurdles have to be overcome to fix the significant Local lag spikes when 20+ people are in the same Local?

Is this a problem that can be fixed to any degree in the future?

• Like 14

After multi story building and bridges, there is any chance of reworking mines into a 3d system?

How far in the future is the implementation of shaders for textures/colors? (in short: Are we getting back different wood textures or those are lost forever)?

There is any plans for reworking the UI to get ride of the necessity of excessive left clicking and nested menus, and to make it more freindly/customizable/modern/functional?

Are you aware of the increasing number of actions lacking of a way for assign a keybind to?  Is there any plans to improve this in the near future?

• Like 2

Now that spyglasses are being reintroduced when they were originally provided as one time only distributed items.   Is there the possibilities for boks to undergo the same distribution.  I lost my boks when wurmageddon happened and the person I purchase from has never returned to the game.  I would appreciate the chance to get my hands on another master bok.

• Like 2

Why is the player base declining?

Why does elevation have 17 players on it at most on busy days?

• Like 1

Multiple PvP flaws questions:

Will the meditation paths be balanced?

Will the catapulting system be revamped and made more simple? The current system is beyond confusing.

Will bashing the WL/BL made into a hard activity there combat prowess comes into play (spawn the avatar!)?

Will a sailing skill or a other variable factor be added to boats so that having 5 people in a boat doesn't make you safe to escape?

Will mag priests be balanced in terms of combat ability? Currently they are vastly underpowered and it is much more worthwhile going fo, or vyn.

Will the lib saccing item (veggies) be made avaloable to all faiths? Currently it is the easiest favor sacking item across all priests by about a factor of 5 or so (time spent on actions).

Will lib priests be balanced in the fact that they can cross to freedom and skill up as a non priest.

Will a PMK overhaul be done? I mean overhaul in terms of management (allow multiple people to kick people from kingdom), the ability to see who is in the kingdom, and the ability to kick people who are offline and off server. Also the kingdom % should affect titles, and capital bonus. Currently there are PMKs which are purely PMKs to get combat titles, half favor titles, and half upkeep.

Will there be a draining overhaul? Kingdoms place deeds in areas just to stop capping. Stop allowing pay to win and add in a new system like 5 continued drains disbands a deed.

Edited by Redd
  • Like 2

We heard about the advertising proposal that said CodeAB was going to spend some money and start advertising and seriously work at recruiting new players with the launch of xanadu.   Being a rather avid gamer I tend to travel to a number of sites and google obviously knows my habits based on the ads I get and of course every time I go to steam they are trying to cram another game down my throat, but I have yet to see any direct advertisement for wurm.  When I do see mention of wurm it's usually from a third party that brings up wurm in relation to another subject, such as notch's past games, or sandbox games, or ddos attacks.    

So my question is, are we going to see a push to bring new players into the game and if so when?   Was there a campaign launched that I completely missed?  If not, why was the advertising campaign delayed/cancelled  or was it all just rumour mill generated crap?

• Like 4

One of the fastest ways to significantly increase revenue at Code Club would be to sell cosmetic-only microtransactions, for example allowing unique character customizations

Is Code Club explicitly opposed to monetizing non-functional character customizations?

• Like 4

Are there any plans for hiring a full-time tester whose task is to test the new features based on test cases before they go live rather than bugtest what's gone wrong afterwards?

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 3