Sign in to follow this  
Aeris

Increase the well capacity

I would like to suggest that the capacity of well should be increased to match the capacity of the fountains. A well can currently hold 125 litres of water while a fountain can hold 1125 litres.

Why?

- Personally I prefer wells over fountains and would like to be able to choose from preference rather than by what works best while smithing

- A well takes more time to make than a fountain so there's no logistical reason for having them contain less

- It doesn't change any functionality and the game isn't affected in any way other than that the well would hold more liquid

• Like 8

A well should fill up indefinitely, i.e. have an unlimited capacity, filling instantly.... and a fountain should always need to be filled.... even on a water source, how does a fountain, in reality, fill itself?

Edit: Unless it's outside in the open, I guess, then rain fills it slowly.

Edited by bwg

u would think a well would have more then a fountainexD

Edit: My question was answered in a pm. :)

Edited by Aeris

I think fountains should refill super slow and wells refill super fast. I do think 125 is "too small" yet usually I am grabbing 1-2 barrels and at most 3 (45kg each), and by the time I need more, the well has already refilled. I think double the size (250kg) and refill immediately sounds good though. Maybe even a "bottomless 250kg".

Wells are much harder to make than fountains, which really need only a chisel and a big chunk of raw rock. Wells take many skills and types of resources and much more time. Growing wemp for the rope and fine carpentry for the bucket and finding clay.

I am not 100 percent sure however if that means "more work should always mean, it is much better."

I understand the "sense of justice" there.

But sometimes "more work" just means, more people are going to choose the easier route. 

For instance, currently stone houses and stone fences are more work but not really much better than simple wood ones. Yet, the vast majority of veteran players chose to build mostly in stonework. It is as much creative expression as pure practicality.

Stone and mortar looks better. Ironwork fences look better. Clay topped roofs look better. Wells look better. But from a functional standpoint, none of them are "better". At least, not till the Hurricanes And  Natural Disasters Update comes to Wurm. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

Dig well deeper upgrade with a shovel or dredge?

Perhaps even an enchant?

+1 but i would like to see them swapped around ie well capacity used for fountains and the fountain capacity used in wells.

-1 to changing anything about the rate they fill up etc.

+1 to upgradeable wells and fountains to increase there capacity.

I am actually going to disagree with this suggestion. I opted to make a well rather than a fountain because it contains only 125 KGs of water. This is a nice smallish number that can easily fill my smithing barrel while dragging it directly from my well to my barrel. If I would have made a fountain, I could not drag the water, but instead I would have to activate the barrel, right click the water and fill. I know this seems like a small thing, but I made this choice for this reason.

-1 from me

Edited by bp1986
  • Like 1

+1 but i would like to see them swapped around ie well capacity used for fountains and the fountain capacity used in wells.

Fair enough. You do realize that that is a bug though, right? That you can at all drag directly from the well into the barrel - they thought they disabled that ability a couple of years ago.

That's the silliest claim of a bug (on their behalf). Thank god they haven't wasted the time to "fix" it.

Although I currently do what BP does, I have always thought it was ridiculous that the well holds such little amount of water. And contrary to Brash's experience, I've been able to empty my well quicker than it'll refill, due to heavy smith work. +1 from me, would like to see the well hold a minimum of 500kgs (would prefer if it matched fountains at 1125).

or get rid off the 'open well' option and just have it so you can right click directly on the well to fill containers (activated item) and drink.. Then you don't need to worry about the amount of water inside the well and fill rate.

• Like 3

Let's put this one back up there :)

Another justification would be that generally, wells have direct access to the water table at the very least... if not an underground stream or lake. With more productive wells, the daily water take-out can be as much as you can ever wish to pump out. Please oh pretty please.