Sign in to follow this  
MamaDarkness

VOTD Marketplace

Please see history here:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/104218-valley-of-the-damned-market-place/

The occupants seem to have nuked the whole deed, tore all the roads out, demolished the buildings, made farmland, then disbanded the deed now.  The alliance has deeded the docks area a week or so ago when votd shrunk in size.  Now that it disbanded I have placed a deed over the old market area and we will rebuild it.  The merchants are all there from before and usable it's just ugly currently.  So first stage is to complete the inner ring which is 50+ merchant area and will be stone buildings (brick/mortar donations accepted).

You can see the Deed plan here:

http://tinyurl.com/mfj3ybv

I will add the notes/markers into it for the existing merchants soon.  Right now I'm repaving the roads that were torn up.

• Like 4

good to see it's back up and going again.  I will pitch in to help rebuild with bricks and mortar as well as building the buildings

Also happy to see the Market back in good hands. Not sure what that previous craziness was about!

Also happy to see the Market back in good hands. Not sure what that previous craziness was about!

Me either!

• Like 1

Pulled my two up after hearing all the market stalls had been demolished, Will come and replace them in the next day or two

• Like 2

Please no offense MamaD, but wasn't Wurm against GM run markets. Ever since Deli opened, I thought the ownership of marketplaces was going to be in the hands of non staff members?

Please no offense MamaD, but wasn't Wurm against GM run markets. Ever since Deli opened, I thought the ownership of marketplaces was going to be in the hands of non staff members?

• Like 1

Define "GM run". MamaD lived at Valley of the damned and was a founding member since day uno before this new market drama.

Wait aren't you the guy who sold the original VotD market and didn't even bother to contact the merchant owners to inform them? Merchant owners who contacted you and you told them you didn't know how to get a hold of them before the sale of the market. You remember, the merchant owners who had their stored goods at VoTD held for ransom by the person you abruptly sold the deed too? The merchant owners who lost lots of silvers due to your negligence?

My question is directed to MamaD and I will await that answer before addressing any other issues people may have with my question.

• Like 1

Wait aren't you the guy who sold the original VotD market and didn't even bother to contact the merchant owners to inform them? Merchant owners who contacted you and you told them you didn't know how to get a hold of them before the sale of the market. You remember, the merchant owners who had their stored goods at VoTD held for ransom by the person you abruptly sold the deed too? The merchant owners who lost lots of silvers due to your negligence?

My question is directed to MamaD and I will await that answer before addressing any other issues people may have with my question.

Actually NSU's wagon is sitting on the docks right now free to grab. lol

And no merchant was contacted because the market was to stay in place with no issues. The deed wasnt abruptly sold and NSU failed to place a lock on his wagon and secure it properly as he was told to when he placed his wagon merchant in the first place. His failure to secure the items is fault of his own not mine or anyone else.

Your just upset because you made the comment in freedom chat saying you'd take all the merchants down to your market earlier when you heard the deed was disbanded and now its actually back in original owners hands and being rebuilt. :)

Edited by Ruger

I'm not upset. I asked a legitimate question and will await a reply from MamaD.

It's basically put a merchant on a market if you like or not.  This is not a gm founded market or has any special perks because of it.  What maybe you are thinking is GM's would not create special deeds at no cost to house markets, free templars, magically created buildings/structures etc.  I paid for this land and deed (and alt) which I will have to pay the silver for each month same as anyone else as well as make all the constructions on the deed.  I do not intend to 'run' much there other than to protect the land for it currently.  Some from alliance came by yesterday and we raised 3 buildings for it, which we will work on getting built.  If someone else steps up to want to 'manage' it more from the advertising perspective, setting up merchants in locations, day to day operations etc. etc. that would be great.

I'm not sure how you mean the old merchants were held 'ransom' by the new deed owners.  There are no fences or anything blocking the merchant area, you can walk up and take your merchant (and items) back anytime you like now or anytime in the past.  By making the new deed purely to cover the market area i'm simply ensuring that any village drama won't impact the market.  It is stand-alone now.

• Like 4

Thank you for your response. I'm glad to hear the new VotD is not a GM 'sanctioned' deed. One thing does concern me tho. You say you do not "intend to 'run' much". That seems to leave the door open for someone else to fulfill that job. Considering VotD market was probably your alliances centerpiece, has your alliance dismissed the previous VotD owner from your alliance/deeds? If not, why not? I'm sure people wouldn't be very happy knowing that the person who caused all the trouble and hassles for merchant owners, has any chance of involvement with the new VotD. As a trusted staff member of the Freedom community, you have a certain duty to the players here. Associating yourself with the unscrupulous types and others who were caught stealing tools/weapons from past impalongs they were running, may not be wisest choice for players to trust their merchants with. Apart from distancing yourself from that sort of player, what guarantee do folks have that history won't repeat itself?

Those who bought, trashed and disbanded VotD disbanded so are no longer in the alliance.

There simply are no guarantees in wurm Gumbo.  As Tyanir said those players have disbanded and gone away, they are not in alliance any longer or welcome to return.  What I meant by not running it was that i'd rather have someone else hunting down players to put their merchants there, harassing them to stock those merchants etc. etc.  I simply do not have the time for that on an ongoing basis in future months/years.  Right now we are rebuilding though and will figure out how best to get it going strong.  One of the 2x7 buildings had the outer walls built today so should be able to take merchants (se of the token).  2 more are in progress and will get done shortly.  The rest of the merchants are standing on dirt tiles :)  You can still can interact with them of course, only need a building or stall to place a merchant, not maintain one.

As a trusted staff member of the Freedom community, you have a certain duty to the players here. Associating yourself with the unscrupulous types and others who were caught stealing tools/weapons from past impalongs they were running, may not be wisest choice for players to trust their merchants with. Apart from distancing yourself from that sort of player, what guarantee do folks have that history won't repeat itself?

well here is the simple version.  Everyone had moved out and it was expected to just disband and we would redeed the market to save it.  One of the founders came back and decided to keep it alive so I gave the deed.  Plans changed and he sold it.  The new owners had a good outlook and I was happy to see that it was going to flourish.  If that didn't happen we were just going to let it expire and save the market only anyway.  The new owners trashed it and disbanded.  I deeded the market.

Regarding the sale of votd i'm not upset about that either.  At the time it seemed to be going to a group who would make something of it and keep the market.  We were not looking to gain coins from it just that it prosper.  The person who did sell it got some coins yes but that never mattered to me much as he either put most of the funds in (gold coins) or secured the funds from his own separate friends to fund the buying of land and upkeep.  One of his friends who put a ton of coin in never even made it over to xanadu but kept paying.  So I have to say I have no issue with him getting something back from it as what the rest of us put in is minuscule in comparison.  Without his funding votd would never have been what it was to be frank.

I'm not really clear what you think was robbed.  Everyone at votd moved their items out fine.  Nothing was ever taken from any houses.

You also seem to think i was running VOTD.  I went into it clear with everyone there I was not going to be running the town and just a member.

Protect your merchants?  I'm not sure what that means either.  No deed owner can steal your merchant items etc.  And you can take your merchant back at any time, there is nothing to lose.  And market owners don't get funds or taxes, it's all an expense with no gain and the work to build the place.

You see to have an idea in your mind of things and I won't bother trying to change it as it seems set.  But being in the same town or alliance as me has no real benefit.  I refuse to get involved in their disputes.  Instead I require a neutral GM to do the work.  And yes early on VOTD was griefed heavily by neighbors and about 20 carts were even stolen.  Nothing I could do about any of it other then to tell them it is their own fault for not securing their items...

So can we end this and put it in the past?  I think i have been very open about everything and nothing is hidden.  If you want to go in detail about it more just pm me on irc or in game.

This kind of seems like drama for drama sake. Obviously everyone at VotD has moved on and beyond it all at this point and it's being rebuilt. I don't understand the need to basically harass MamaD about it and continue the drama when it doesn't really concern you and never has. It's interesting you own a Market also and seem intent on sullying the name of not only MamaD but the VotD Market as well. At least that is how it all looks to me as an observer. 

• Like 3

Best market on the server. Good to see it redeeded.

• Like 2

Wanted to say best of luck with your market MamaD. Sorry to anyone who choked on popcorn, it was not my intention.

• Like 3

choked on popcorn...i almost got fat on popcorn.  this drama was longer than gone with the wind and got burned to the ground like tara too. group hug!..cause i got skills to grind so i can attempt to climb out of being a mediocre player

• Like 1

Our hearts sunk when the deed switched hands and we saw first hand how all the hard work got obliterated in matter of days. But now we are reclaiming the area back to its former glory.

I hope people can continue enjoying the rebuild market!

• Like 1

3 buildings have walls up around the token.  33 spots free for placement from those.

• Like 1