Sign in to follow this  
joedobo

Map mouseover tool tip to display grid

It would be useful if there was a mouseover tooltip on the map that displayed what grid the mouse is in. Maybe even show subdivision increments.

Just to be clear this would only be a tool that shows where your cursor is at relative to map image.

Why? Its hard for me to quickly see what grid my mouse cursor is in. This is especially true of the zoomed in version.

Here is an image mock up. The tool tip I used is just an example. As long as the coords are readable it doesn't matter what it looks like.

IQtrC2R.jpg

/sign

but am surprised no posts / replies yet as to "no we dont need it it", "use your surroundings to figure out where you are are", "we dont need things made any easier / simpler for us , we like it just the way it is"

/good luck

Take note this request has nothing to do with helping you find your characters location in game.

This would mainly make it easier to use the map and communicate locations to other players. BUT! You would still need to figure out how in-game locations correspond to the map.

I wouldn't even bother suggesting something that tells players there character's in-game location. I do like and support such an idea. But I also am aware of all the past objection against things that might help players acquire their exact position.

The problem is what grid exactly is A2. For me, when I look at the zoomed out image its possible but often difficult to pinpoint A2. When I look at the zoomed in image it's very difficult and I often have to use the zoomed out as reference.

I've had multiple experiences where players mistakenly read a map grid wrong. I'm positive this is because its not easy to intersect the two coordinates.

If the map had a mouseover tooltip showing what grid the cursor is currently in it would make using the map easier.

very +1 idea.   It just makes it easier to work with the map.  I've always been annoyed that the numbers/letters on on one side and not the other of the map so if the location is on the other side of the map, I have to scroll and measure with the mouse and try to find the right location.  takes tie and doesn't seem to enhance the game in any way making it harder.

oh god yes please, +1. Does not detract at all from having to be able to read a map - just makes it less frustrating to do so

+1 if you had a paper map this would be simple and obvious. So this makes sense to simulate that.