Sign in to follow this  
Uisge_Beatha

Instanceable Unique Hunts

Quite recently there have been several "issues" resulting from Unique kills.  Whether it be ninja looting corpses or overrunning a kill this has initiated further push to "privatize" kills and handle them in dire secrecy.  It's my understanding that they were brought back into the game to help develop more player-base interaction and instead seem to be working in the opposite direction.  There are many in-game capable of taking down our uniques with minimal numbers and effort, so those who are growing in the game fail to get the chance to experience these kills.  So, to my suggestion before I bore yall to death.

Allow an option to instance a unique hunt, as we already have a Challenge server in the works, why not a random(or static) smaller based server that can be opened for unique kills.  Not to take the place of our current Unique spawns by any means, but an opportunity for designated players to host an open raid with controls in place where loot distribution can be managed without worry.  Host/hosts can spend X amount of Karma to start up, depending on the desired target, with the option of attendees donating Karma to lessen the cost to the host or not.  Karma would not have to be the currency used, open alternatives are up for suggestion.  Upon kill and subsequent butcher corpse window could open for all attendees to prevent distrust of the loot table as well as keeping the corpse untargetable or lootable by anyone until items are apportioned out by the host/hosts.  Any vehicle commanded by the attendee would enter the instance with them, and as long as its alive(count horses as vehicles), would exit with them when finished. 

By all means is this not a suggestion to replace the current Unique system, as the joy of the hunt sometimes is greater than the kill.  Perhaps limit attendance to a set limit per week/month to prevent abuse on the loot table and still foster the yearning to find currently live uniques on the servers.  Would just like to see an alternative designed for those of us who prefer to see Open raids and wurmian cooperation on said raids without having to worry about those who skirt the rules/policies and take advantage of the situation. 

How better to end an Impalong with a good old fashioned dragon hunt and be able to plan it in a timely manner?

Thank you for all input,

Uisge Beatha

• Like 2

That actually sounds very interesting  :huh:

I like it. 

summon dragon egg for 100-200k karma :) yesssss then you get to hatch it and fight it right there

• Like 1

I feel like this ruins the sandbox nature of uniques and their inate "wild creature"ness, I honestly think they should be buffed in health and run away quickly unless fought. This would make more of a "hunt in a pack" vibe than a trapped beast execution.

• Like 2

They aren't unique any more. They respawn. They are now rares. Being rares, I don't see why Rolf couldn't make a little poacket change with a hunting preserve via an instanced hunt with stocked game. Works for "safaris" in the real world.

I suggested this back before they reintroduced uniques. I still maintain the whole thing about it since how they spawn, how often they spawn, to what they drop and the amounts they drop has been handled so badly its kinda absurd.

The spawns are too random in time so most often than not you won't be able to schedule ahead when you try to kill one. They have spawned OFTEN on deeds (which they proceed to obliterate) which also prompts the quick dispatch of the said uniques.

The drops that made them worth it before, don't. Its pretty much impossible to make a drake or scale armor by yourself within a reasonable timeline. This to protect a "healthy" economy. What the devs consider healthy is all but that.

The new drops are interesting, but not THAT interesting, albeit like rares they've spawned a nice grossly inflated market.

All in all, like so many things in wurm. It was a much awaited move from the devs, but ended up in a fiasco. I'm hoping, but not really expecting, that bridges and Challenge won't follow that norm.

• Like 1

+1. Such instances could even contain other dangerous mobs, which for example require at least 3-5 70fs players in order to beat. It's hard to add such mobs to Freedom servers as they would destroy newer players and deed/tower guards are far too weak to protect those players against such foes. So I think it's a great idea, but I would let the instance contain more than just a unique.

I think it might also be better if you couldn't take mounts/vehicles along, makes for an additional challenge. Or have both types of instances, one where you can take mounts along and one where you can't, the latter being cheaper as you are taking a higher risk.

I think instances could also work great for pvp mini games, like the Hota. These could be made easily accessible to Freedom players through, for example, portals. This way PvP isn't forced unto the PvE players, instead the players whom are interested could partake in it, and those whom aren't interested wouldn't have their gameplay affected in any way.

Gladiator events. The Romans loved them for how long? We even have lions though they aren't really that hard to kill. :-P

• Like 2

Oh God, Audrel made me think of a cool idea. A 2 ended "Dungeon" where 2 groups have to race each other to the end to fight the boss... With possible PvP at the end. OMG I'm turning Wurm into a Moba in my head... STOOP.

Edited by KanePT
  • Like 1

Keep the game sandbox and leave the instancing out as much as possible. Otherwise this game will become like all the rest.

Instead, why not add more groups of mobs that stick together that you need a small group of 70fs fighters (or larger group of perhaps 4-50fs) to defeat. They should drop something nice, maybe not dragonscale but still valuable.

• Like 1

Keep the game sandbox and leave the instancing out as much as possible. Otherwise this game will become like all the rest.

Instead, why not add more groups of mobs that stick together that you need a small group of 70fs fighters (or larger group of perhaps 4-50fs) to defeat. They should drop something nice, maybe not dragonscale but still valuable.

Problem with that is the same issue that causes dragons to go so quickly most people don't get to fight one... It can cause destruction and unwanted distress to some players.

I'm against instancing in general, however something really does need to be done about rare monsters on wurm at the moment.

Otherwise how in the nine hells am I going to get a black tome and raise an army of the undead?

+0.5

This is a solution, but not an ideal one.

Recent influx in more dragon drama brings this back to mind, as the current system is being reprogrammed, why not consider this option so server groups can truly "own" the spawn, as well as dedicated groups that wish to slay can do so as well.  Still thinking the karma cost would need to be a bit steeper than some of the followup suggestions, which in turn would encourage more effort towards mission completions.  Hey, that might actually encourage working together rather than fighting and bickering against each other...novel concept. 

bump.

• Like 1

Dragon drama isnt new, people fight over scarce resources, its human nature.  The failure here was the creation and fair enforcement of rules regarding the matter by the staff.  It is very unfortunate they seem to enjoy these grey areas that allow hypocritical rulings as they make their decisions based on the participants.

Spoiler

This exact same episode happened on Release with my group of slayers, we captured a dragon, planted a deed only to find icbash had mined a tunnel into our perimeter and left a tamed wolf to lure the dragon into his tunnel.  We reported and Shrimpiie told us that was perfectly legal.  We ended up expanding the deed and standing vigil round the clock till we slayed the dragon.  Hypocrisy at its finest.

Edited by madnezz
  • Like 5

I like it.  There was a time when I didn't think instances would be a good thing for Wurm, but my thinking on that has evolved over time. 

Currently we can step into a portal or cross a server line & end up somewhere else entirely, Epic, Choas, another PVE server.  What would be the difference really?  If done right, it could be just as immersive and not change the sandboxiness (word?) at all.  :)   Maybe this new Frontier thing they've teased/tantalized us with will be something along these lines?

Edited by Amadee

-1 for host based events.. rather deal with rng and some participation system.

Certain few have proven that some hosts should never have the right to have a right.

Instanced.. I don't see the point of that, rifts do not need their own instance for example

Karma is a b* to farm if you go after it.. rather have either completely other way to charge the start of such event or to have a variety of ways to do it, certainly not crops, too easy to charge if sac favor is the juice.

Enki goofed that one preeeetty badly, given the historical record on that specific issue.

• Like 1

Posted this as a re-approach to a suggestion made years ago following a rash of dragon drama, but if you care to bring up who hunts/hunted with whom, I bet I can find a fair share of slayings hosted by the same group that were attended by selected meme creators here.  Difference is, you did it to enjoy the profit from the slaying, whereas you will never see me attending to gain for profit.  Don't judge me by your actions, judge me by mine.  If you have issues with me as a person, I am all ears to hear it, no thin skin here, just be careful in the glass houses.  Thank you.

Karma would not necessarily need to be the exchange item, merely a suggestion, as sitting on over 120k karma that has limited use it was what came to my mind.  Just cannot make it too easy to manage as they should be unique for a reason.  Open to other suggestions.

Edited by Uisge_Beatha
  • Like 1

Stop being crybabies for Christ sake it is a dragon that serves no purpose to freedom aside from pure greed.

Go ahead and tell me what any of you need drake or scale for?

You will not come up with an acceptable answer.