Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

The Strength of a Troll

When I first came to wurm like 4 years ago, I wanted to duel wield. Then I was told that it's horrible and was nerfed into the ground. So I never looked back at that. I've typically always used longsword and large metal shield, but really been thinking of going large axe and large metal. LT has been annoying me also, while yes it's nice to heal. but it just doesn't hit as hard as frostbrand. Trolls are pretty tough though, every once in awhile I even have to back up for a min to heal a couple mediums through 80ql plate. It being greenish is what really gets you. that and chain is pretty weak imo.

just seems like a waste of time fighting anything for that long for basically nothing of value.

edit, but glad you had fun and killed it.

Well, I did get .02 FS from it, lol.

Listen folks, if I had been hunting I would have been configured a little differently to be sure.  I have known just about everything everyone has said was wrong with my little encounter today - for probably longer than some have played the game.  I know dual-wielding isnt great - but I do it mostly to pick up a trickle of maul skill in my day to day run-ins.  That really wasn't my point though.  My point is that I have played this game for 5+ years and to have something totally unexpected happen, well, it's just nice to have a level of randomness in the code that can take you by surprise every once in a while and make a moment memorable.  And after all, that's what it is all about, right?

And oh, you would be hard-pressed to convince me that Trolls have not been beefed of late, especially the ven greenies.

Cheers! 

• Like 4

When it comes to PvE, trolls are one of the only mobs I kind of prefer to avoid. It's not so much that they are impossible to kill by any means but they are most certainly one of the stronger mobs that we have, if not the strongest PvE mob, especially when they're greenish. In that way I guess for PvE-combat players they must be one of the more enjoyable "common challenges" (read: non-unique) that the game has to offer.

My only real gripe with trolls which I have had for a few years is the skillgain, or lack thereof, that you get from killing one. Honestly, if I am grinding my fighting skills I avoid trolls because in the time it takes to kill one of those and the damage taken on equipment seems pretty low per second fighting than other mobs for example spiders, unicorns, lava spiders, scorpions, crocodiles, etc.

Though trolls are still great for archery skill, and still much quicker to kill with it even with the recent archery/armour changes.

greenish/raging scorpions are worse I think but I agree that trolls are one of the strongest PvE mobs!

frostbrand

Why would you do that!?

I'd happily take on a horde of trolls if it'd mean I'd never have to deal with a hell hound, they aren't the toughest, but they're certainly some of the most annoying creatures in the game.  Wossoo put it perfectly, the skill gain to effort required is the big disappointment when it comes to trolls.  I wish they'd temporarily bring back those "tough" trolls that were around shortly after Xanadu opened from time to time; that was one of the better bug turned temporary feature moments in recent history.

as wossoo said..anyone out to skill gain..the troll, by any experienced fighter/hunter is generally avoided simply because the payout on skill gains is silly low given the damage it does to your armour and the amt of time it takes to kill them.  lavaspiders, greens spoiders, crocks, and crazy unicorns for the win

I believe that some months back the skill gain from fighting trolls was increased to be comparable with other higher end mobs, as I had noticed when killing a few of these pests I was surprised to see FS gains from them.

As for buffing the skills of aggros in general, no thanks and no way. I almost always kill them just because they are annoying pests disrupting my other building activities or when working around the local area, wearing only cloth armor because the other types slow the dragging of carts around dramatically.

Very rarely do I go out hunting and this is the only way aggros should be "buffed" in some manner for those who specifically go out of their way to find and kill them. It is a bad policy to advocate the buffing of aggros in general just to satisfy hunters while inflicting this increase on everyone else.

There should be some types of * Hunting Reserves* dispersed around the lands where stronger aggros are confined from leaving by some game mechanic. Then hunters can spend hours of "enjoyment" there and tell the tall tales of bravado upon these forums at a later time.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes

i tested... when you are on wagon... your time to kill mob is increased.... so is posible... is bug...  on cart is normal 

you get 0.02 of 1h  fighting him... that is bad skill....  and as  i says is bug when you are on wagon...

Edited by RockyBalboa

heh, i go hunting trolls for wep skill :D But seems like a fun fight, just superlong.

Trolls can be tricky. A normal troll is usually taken down by my Mag in 4-5 swings of his huge axe - but from time to time I need RoadRunnering away seeing the world in red and with the troll just being annoyed not harmed...

An not on epic?

Stamina is, to my knowledge, the only one that makes a useful difference. Keep in mind that having 40 stamina is common for good Freedom accounts while on Epic, it's a luxury that probably no more than five people have, if that.

As for trolls: they give higher fight skill gain now, and they have always given good archery gain too. The real problem is the club - mauling destroys armor and shields, and their other attacks are fairly weak, thus giving way to veteran players who unequip the club and shield train on champs.

Stamina is, to my knowledge, the only one that makes a useful difference. Keep in mind that having 40 stamina is common for good Freedom accounts while on Epic, it's a luxury that probably no more than five people have, if that.

As for trolls: they give higher fight skill gain now, and they have always given good archery gain too. The real problem is the club - mauling destroys armor and shields, and their other attacks are fairly weak, thus giving way to veteran players who unequip the club and shield train on champs.

wut

Try fighting someone with 50 body and someone with 20.

Ugghh sacrificed clarity to shorten the post...

Of course 30 points make a difference, but most people won't cry over fighting 40 body vs. 50 body. The gap required to make a game changing difference regardless of other skills is huge compared to Freedom. A lot of people don't really care once they hit 40, most of the others stop caring at 50. Sure, people grind, but it becomes less of a priority because it's not worth the time investment to catch up to people with 60+.

Oops, forgot that all I need is 70 meditation to roll a 70 body non-gone player. My bad.

Body = hit points so, i could be wrong but..., 40 body is like having twice as many hit points as a newb at 20 body and one could say that a newb with 20 body and SotG is equivalent to a player with 40 body

at least i think that is how it works--would be awesome if there was transparency on basic info like this, huh?

• Like 2

You fight Greenish troll one on one your fault.  Maybe next time invite some friends... ;)

Body = hit points so, i could be wrong but..., 40 body is like having twice as many hit points as a newb at 20 body and one could say that a newb with 20 body and SotG is equivalent to a player with 40 body

at least i think that is how it works--would be awesome if there was transparency on basic info like this, huh?

I'm pretty sure it's not linear. Transparency would be amazing though. 

@Uberknot You can melee 1v1 a greenish troll if your skills/stats are good enough.

• Like 1

Oops, forgot that all I need is 70 meditation to roll a 70 body non-gone player. My bad.

Haaaah, hahaha

ITT: People trying to guess Wurm mechanics

Edited by Joemog

Haaaah, hahaha

ITT: People trying to guess Wurm mechanics

sorry, forgot I need a dragon too

Full plate + shield + mounted = easy troll kill.

Everything else is rather fail for trolls imo including my precious drake hide and 2h lt sword. (head shot and its game over for me)  :D

Today on Deliverance I fought a venerable greenish troll for almost one hour (log below).  I was not intentionally trying to extend the fight.  I was fighting to win and win quickly.  But something has happened to the strength of trolls that it would take me nigh an hour to kill one.  I had to back away many times to heal and repair my armor and weapon.   I had excellent chain armor all with high aosp.  I had a LS with LT, MS, and NIM.  I also have 70+ fighting, 70+ longsword, and 40+ body strength.  I was also mounted, originally on a wagon where he ambushed me, but then on a horse.

I said all of that to say that I REALLY APPRECIATE the fact that this troll gave me a good workout.  It was a great PVE experience and I hope that future tweaks to the strength of animals will be made.  For example, I would love to have a long fight with a bear that is strong enough to live up to its real-life reputation.

Thanks Rolf and the Team for tweaking the strength of trolls enough to make the experience so exciting.

(...)

Not sure whether the OP is serious. At first when I started reading I was like "I know exactly what he's talking about..." but then I started to think he's being sarcastic. Anyway, I had something like this happen to me a few weeks ago. But as opposed to it being something unwanted, it actually gave me something to be excited and driven about. All my skills are low but I killed a demon on my place (undeeded). I fought for something like an hour, just as this guy did. Making a longer story short, I spent a few days trying to figure out how I was going to prepare for it. I imped my armor and weapons. Won the fight. Was a great moment to win. Thankfully, it doesn't happen all the time. The reward is knowing by winning (by myself) it made a real difference and WON'T happen so much that'd make the game unplayable. Contrary to some, I think some adversity like this isn't a bad. I guess since I'm already on Chaos it goes without saying...

If it had been a stronger monster, I'd have to ask for help. In fact, I was offered help with the demon, but declined. I know it's odd, but I saw the demon as a challenge to overcome solo. If I failed,THEN I'd ask someone to help.

This also led to me research plate armor and wanting a set for these cases. Naturally, I don't think plate helps well against fire attacks, yet there're other monsters plate would be effective against. Of course, if I had a deed or lived with a bunch of other players, things like this might not happen. Then again, we'd probably have powerful player enemies. I was part of a village of players which was basically wiped out. Everybody left because our foe was too strong.

I will lastly add the need to please extra powerful high skill players can pose problems for low skill players. What happens if the landscape is crawling with powerful hostile creatures and the low skillers can't touch em? Teh game currently has towers and deeds and easy creatures (like rats) seem to be in areas where lots of players are, but I can't help but think the need to please high skillers can cause trouble for low skillers.

Peace out.

Edited by Lightonfoot
  • Like 1

I didn't use a shield, I held an LT maul in my left hand which I always have with me.  I thought about switching to the maul but my skill is low.  I did switch mid-way from chain to plate, but the plate did not seem to protect me better than the chain so I switched back.  I also switched from the wagon (he surprised me enroute) to a horse and most of the fight was on the horse.

I wasn't hunting today, just doing work around the deed when he came up behind the wagon.  But regardless, it was a great fight and I enjoyed it very much.

In my above post I posit you were being sarcastic or trolling rofl, but now I see you and me are on same page.

I think it's fun now and then, but not if it was constant. I need to be able to work on my place sometimes.