Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 48

Challenge in it self looks like it could be fun, in another game that has good and fun figthing implemented. Ok, Wurm has very nice building and siege implementation, but the fighting is just too stiff and uninspiring.

That and we already have two PvP rule sets and one PvE rule set. Why not fix what we have instead of just adding more new stuff that can fail?!

Scrap Epic instead, rebuild the maps and servers, make one big map on epic instead of 4 servers, reset the skills, fix the bugs. Most real PvP:ers care more about the PvP and fun fights than never loosing what they built up anyway. And the ones who do care more about always keeping their belongings, skills and buildings have choosen the wrong server cluster.

• Like 3

Challenge in it self looks like it could be fun, in another game that has good and fun figthing implemented. Ok, Wurm has very nice building and siege implementation, but the fighting is just too stiff and uninspiring.

That and we already have two PvP rule sets and one PvE rule set. Why not fix what we have instead of just adding more new stuff that can fail?!

Scrap Epic instead, rebuild the maps and servers, make one big map on epic instead of 4 servers, reset the skills, fix the bugs. Most real PvP:ers care more about the PvP and fun fights than never loosing what they built up anyway. And the ones who do care more about always keeping their belongings, skills and buildings have choosen the wrong server cluster.

I agree.

Rolf tries to cater for everybody and by doing so he caters for nobody

We need iron masks!

For..ehm...reasons.

I'm not Raamkozijn's evil twin brother, out to take over his life. Honest! :ph34r:

• Like 1

Oh awesome! Rollercoasters!............. Wha... What? That's a bridge? Oh..

Yeah, work on that please :)

Removing default kingdoms from Challenge would do nothing. The people who currently play together would still choose to play together. So every default kingdom would still exist, except with dorky PMK names, and newbies who haven't yet made friends in any particular group would have a hard time and would probably be driven away in droves.

I'm curious, do these bases serve any extra purpose, or are they just pre-built war deeds? Will we be able to build inside of them? Or will we be relying on devs to make them defensible? And if we can build inside them, what's stopping a mob of griefer alts from ruining a deed in the middle of the night?

• Like 1

No one would ever agree on a skill reset on epic at this point. Probably could only ever agree on a map reset/change imo

Most real PvP:ers care more about the PvP and fun fights than never loosing what they built up anyway. And the ones who do care more about always keeping their belongings, skills and buildings have choosen the wrong server cluster.

It sounds like the challenge server how you describe this here. Challenge: quicker pvp = more chances for "fun fights", the one's who do care about losing their stuff "don't have to play on challenge".

Challenge is going to happen. He already has a map and some good ideas. Why would he stop now?

No one would ever agree on a skill reset on epic at this point. Probably could only ever agree on a map reset/change imo

It sounds like the challenge server how you describe this here. Challenge: quicker pvp = more chances for "fun fights", the one's who do care about losing their stuff "don't have to play on challenge".

Challenge is going to happen. He already has a map and some good ideas. Why would he stop now?

Because he's just creating even more rule sets to maintain. He should concentrate on one PvP ruleset and get it right instead of building 3 broken ones. 

So Rolf's had time to generate a map for Challenge and come up with all these little ideas for it but there's been no time to arrange a scheduled restart for Xanadu which can't stay up for more than 2 days without heavy lag bursts? Or to fix all the cart bugs that are so severe they sometimes kill people? Or the lockpicking settings or the fighting bugs or one of the other thousand things that needs to be fixed that there is apparently no available time for?

Ok.

• Like 7

We need more info about bridges aswell... Decay, consume of materials per tile....

We never get numbers before the release of an item :P 

Only a week and a bit to wait :)

So Rolf's had time to generate a map for Challenge and come up with all these little ideas for it but there's been no time to arrange a scheduled restart for Xanadu which can't stay up for more than 2 days without heavy lag bursts? Or to fix all the cart bugs that are so severe they sometimes kill people? Or the lockpicking settings or the fighting bugs or one of the other thousand things that needs to be fixed that there is apparently no available time for?

Ok.

• Like 1

a single rite of death spell and some altars. ;)

I kinda doubt rite of death will become available for casting though.

Nope, trees don't "die" within Wurm, they recycle their growth pattern going from the *shriveled* stage to *young* and then repeat their growth cycle again. I believe the *random* pattern referred to will be when they replant themselves on tiles without any trees on them. It would not make much sense to be able to plant trees in nicely centered rows only to later have them grow *into* random patterns again.

=Ayes=

It makes perfect sense.  If you want to keep your trees centered you'll have to prune them to keep them from dying.  And just because trees have always replanted themselves in the same location in the past doesn't mean this hasn't been changed with this update.

reading about the grass under the trees feature had me thinking about something..when trees are planted/bushes too..they always plant on a grass tile.  could that layer be an overlay or something where it doesn't be default plant with grass but instead mirrors the tile its' being planted on..would love to see trees on desert, steppe,tundra tiles..it looks goofy to have a desert and where trees planted this random grass knoll.  just a thought.  

and though i was luke warm on the challenge idea , seeing the bits and pieces roll out...makes it more and more attractive and tastey.  I have a hunch the initial nay sayers will come to luv it and see the value of it.   we often are quick to rebuff change..this challenge idea is looking more n more sexy now

til the next awaited offerings ....let the masquerading being...the one shown looks like that spooky masque from the movie "Vanilla Sky"  then again..could be our lovely friend michael myers

Edited by Greasygrundle

another vote for being able to choose whether a tree is centred or random.

Currently, the only way to naturally reforest an area (as I understand it) is to plant a few trees, well spaced from each other, then wait for them to self-seed and spread to the surrounding area.  Which is a real pity, since being able to plant a 'natural' forest is a really nice part of the whole terraforming sandbox thing.

Edited to add: still-bumless BSBs is a bit of a poor show.  It's bad enough we sortof-ninja lost the wood textures, but you could at least fix the buggerups quickly.

Edited by Pandalet

Ok.

the heavy lag is probably just the rendering memory leak which they have been working on even while challenge is being worked on. I have to restart 5 times a day or so when i'm out running around hunting, etc. be thankful you're on a pve server and don't have the fear of someone behind you who wants to kill you and then get it leak. I've died in a cart before too. be thankful you're on a pve server and can't lose your stuff from it. while yes those are real issues, the game is still playable. 

Any updates to make the game worth playing?

Seriously dude? It's attitudes like yours that discourage developers to not want to do anything.

Why are you even on a forum for a game you don't think is worth playing?

Edited by ausimus
  • Like 2

the heavy lag is probably just the rendering memory leak which they have been working on even while challenge is being worked on. I have to restart 5 times a day or so when i'm out running around hunting, etc. be thankful you're on a pve server and don't have the fear of someone behind you who wants to kill you and then get it leak. I've died in a cart before too. be thankful you're on a pve server and can't lose your stuff from it. while yes those are real issues, the game is still playable. 

I'm under no obligation to feel thankful about anything that the rest of the dev team work on while the head developer is sitting on a chair and farting like a big manchild while using Wurm's revenue to work on personal projects. Don't tell long-term premium players how to feel or think when it's our invested money he's treating a released game like a game in beta with.

I really wish the positioning would get a serious and hard look at it. 

You have obviously never been in boat PvP. Not a troll, 100% serious. It's bad (extremes of 30 tile difference between displayed and server-side positions).

I could open up to challenge and get past the (even further) split of the community if I knew this was going to work properly. PvP is still fundamentally broken and unbalanced (PvP =/= raiding) and the Valrei system still doesn't work properly, if at all. Considering the latter, I cringe to think of how the Challenge launch will be.

I'm under no obligation to feel thankful about anything that the rest of the dev team work on while the head developer is sitting on a chair and farting like a big manchild while using Wurm's revenue to work on personal projects. Don't tell long-term premium players how to feel or think when it's our invested money he's treating a released game like a game in beta with.

Well boohoo on those other people, changing the direction of the game entirely is something you cannot do after the game's gone out of its beta stage. If he wants to do this he needs to do it in a different way.