Sign in to follow this  
Snoo

sailing across servers

Fix Sailing  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with current amount of time it takes to sail?

Hi all, so.. Ive have like 2 days of from work and 1 whole day was spent sailing from exodus to release. The reason Im saying this is because if the devs and other higher ups wonder why wurm is not that popular I would like to point to this one small yes majour part of it. I mean a whole day.. sailing. 

I thank the devs of wurm and the creator for this very fun filled and interesting day I have had on wurm online. 

If you like I can upload this to youtube to promote the game?

Cheers,

Edited by Snoo
  • Like 8

should totally upload to youtube you will become the next bashur!

on a real note should just make it so that you can bypass that terrabad server

How you petty mortal dare to criticize wurm sailing?

The mighty Guild of wurm sailors will soon arrive here and troll you so hard that you main char will get your mind logic reduced to 20. Thy will let you know that you need to learn to tack, watch movies, etc, etc.

Even how fast you make it or even how common gales will be there will always be people complaining.

I agree it could be buffed a bit, but this is also what makes wurm feel like wurm.

I hate that in other games I can just teleport / travel quick, and easily skip large landmasses, surely saves time just that world won't feel the same anymore.

In real life you also have to take in consideration travel times if you want to get to some cool new places :)

Sailing is your own choice, if you don't wanna do it, then hire someone else to sail for you or make them sail to you.

• Like 1

If you don't like sailing, then don't sail so far. There are many other things to do in wurm besides sailing.

• Like 1

If sailing is a pain, stay on Exodus and enjoy yourself.

On the other hand, if getting to Release (of all places!) is such an unparalleled joy, then it is well worth the trip for you.

Wurm is full of exhaustive chores, you cannot insta-terraform a mountain either as in Landmark or Second Life, although that would save you just as much time. That is just not how this game is wired.

Boats should get +1km/h to base speed per 10 or 20 ql, and cog + corbita should get +1km/h base for ever 20 depth of water they're in. This would Solve EverythingTM.

Rationale: Higher quality designed and built ships in the age of sail were massively faster than their contemporaries, and larger ships are faster in rough seas (tons of evidence for this) because their higher sails get less interference from the wave toughs. True story.

• Like 6

while a pain in the arse, I feel it's needed to be a chore.

don't get me wrong, Im a casual player and have spent becoming depressed by spending a day off slowly cruising the waters of wurm.

but it's the time it takes traveling that keeps these lands from feeling clustered together. if travel was faster it would start to feel less isolated, less wild, less adventurous. other games that have fast travel tend to have designated areas, nothing is free range, and they do that to keep certain areas able to offer a feeling. wurm does not need safe zones or raid zones.

sailing does need a change. I'm sure it worked back when it was just one server, very good making it work with the various winds. made you take a cart around a pond instead of a boat, nit mow we have oceans we need anothermethod of getting across.

Edited by Leroy

I was in the boat with you Snoo.  The bottom line in cross server sailing is it is not fun, which violates the first rule of gaming.  Why not just sail to a boundary and get the option of which server you want.  Make it the north south boundary to make it easy.  Just do not bore me with poor game choices.

I guess you were sailing into the wind and have never heard of the term "tacking" ?

Winds went "boom" when Xanadu opened.

Before Xan, yeah you could get an hour or two of light breeze but it'd speed up soon enough.

Since Xan, I've seen 8-24hrs of almost exclusively light breeze with the odd "strong breeze" to tease one into a sense of false optimism.

And when gale DOES kick in, rarely more than an hour.

Changes in wind are too infrequent, changes in wind direction even way more infrequent, and "light breeze" seems to have a 50% chance on the RNG, with the other 50% split evenly among all the other wind types.

Many threads about it in the suggestions' forum, all overlooked.  But you can go to challenge server!!!!!!!!11111oneoneone

Seriously, Release and Pristine should be able to by-pass Xanadu, when getting to chaos or the other servers. I don't see why this 6-7 extra hours of someones life is "needed" and unfair to those two servers. 

Personally I would like to see the following changes implemented:

1) Faster base speed for boats when more then 50 tiles from ocean coasts

2) Sailing skill - every 10 increase in level results in x km/hr base speed increase. Time in boat sailing is the way that sailing skill improves with perhaps more skill for the weather extremes (very light winds and hurricane force gets more bonus)

3) Boat quality impacts speed - every 10 ql better results in x km/hr speed increase. Heavy weather sailing or sailing in just barely deep enough water should have additional damage to boat requiring periodic repairs

One time I caught a ride back from Xan to Exodus in a rowboat. We went from Xan to Deli and then to Exo. The average speed displayed under the Health bar indicator was 54 km/hr. While the return trip still took time, it was wonderful and in retrospect the right amount of time for the distance travelled.

The other four times I have taken this trip it has been a much longer and more tormented feeling experience. In the time it took the above rowboat to bring me all the way back to Exo, these ships only took me to the Xan/Deli border.

~Nappy

Give us a Chaos-Release/Pristine border. Make Wurm round.

• Like 1

I am all for the "Select server to travel to method" when one reaches the deep water sailing directly away from land from any server. Until this happens my approach has always been to sail to a another server once and never leave it again. No doubt others do this and it does little to contribute to various server interactions.

Rowed 2 alts to Xanadu from Independence and certainly they will never leave again. Also have mayors on deeds on Deliverance and Pristine who will never be "sailing" anywhere either. I guess in a way this contributes to game income, since I always keep these 2 main mayors premium to handle all types of building chores on those servers, yet for others if more player interaction is desired faster travel over the seas is badly needed.

=Ayes=

I realize that some people find "realism" a good thing but seriously when I need to take a real life day off work to SAIL across a GAME SERVER. I would like to find out what aspect of FUN is this fulfilling. People pay money top play a game. Lets look of the definition of GAME.  - an activity that one engages in for amusement - .  

Not sure if the Swedish version of GAME is the same as mine.

Cheers.

cheating.jpg

Forum moderators should be setting an example. All this does is set an example that there is no need to post substance, as long as the random pic is someway related to the topic. Good job wurm representative!

• Like 1

Why to get so upset from a little joke

There's threads about sailing speed every week that it's starting to feel like the picture.

There's a thread about sailing speed every week because winds have been broken since Xanadu launched and have been broken during every week since, making sailing slow every week frustrating people every week that's why people post every week about sailing being unnecessarily frustrating every week.

Maybe if every week wasn't spent on a third PvP project, and every week focused on getting people to use shady sites every week, maybe the playerbase wouldn't post about slow sailing every week if Rolf and his devs stopped ignoring people every week regarding certain elements that every week, can get to be game breaking.

Edited by Mordraug

Maybe y'all should quit whining. Boo hoo hoo. Don't make the trip if you can't afford the time.

It's not like you're gonna hit a bunch of raiders, hit X and turn on a movie, or maybe tack?

Btw snoo I hope you get that free epic acc soon, good thing we don't have giant servers here, you wouldn't be sailing for days ;)

There's a thread about sailing speed every week because winds have been broken since Xanadu launched and have been broken during every week since, making sailing slow every week frustrating people every week that's why people post every week about sailing being unnecessarily frustrating every week.

Maybe if every week wasn't spent on a third PvP project, and every week focused on getting people to use shady sites every week, maybe the playerbase wouldn't post about slow sailing every week if Rolf and his devs stopped ignoring people every week regarding certain elements that every week, can get to be game breaking.

I don't think that you said "every week" enough...Word count: 102 .... 24 of which are either "every" or "week"