Sign in to follow this  
Heboric

Tablets and Wurm.

I'm beginning to think about buying a tablet and I'm looking at the following:

Nvidia Shield Tablet

Google Nexus 9

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

These all run either Android KitKat 4.4, or Lollipop 5.0.

According to what I have found so far there are Java emulators available that will run .jar files.

So my questions... :)

1. Does anyone have generalized advice concerning the above tablets?
  2. Has anyone ever successfully run Wurm through an emulator directly on an Android device?
  3. The Shield supposedly will combine/stream from a PC if the PC has a compatible graphics card - anyone done this at all?
  4. Is this simply a terrible idea that I would be better off forgetting asap?

I would love an expert to look at this and hopefully shine a light on this stuff - it would be very helpful for me, and I imagine for many others as well as tablets etc are becoming increasingly common, and more sophisticated.

• Like 1

None will run Wurm natively, but it is possible to VNC through to a PC and play that way.  I've done it a number of times on my tablets, both Android and iOS, but it's not something I'd do other than for novelty value.  It's clunky at best.  I never had any luck whatsoever with any of the Java emulators on Android, but they may have improved.

On the other hand, the higher end, full Windows tablets like the Surface 3 can run Wurm natively fairly well.  Android and iOS ones, I'd save your money, tbh.  You'd be dealing with a clunky on screen keyboard to do anything, and added on top of that is the lag and overhead of the VNC connection itself.

The Shield interests me, but I believe support for offloading to the PC side of things requires some developer hooks in the respective game that likely aren't there.  At the end of the day, even with the Shield you'd still need to VNC to a full featured machine like your desktop PC.

Wurm uses LWJGL 2 which has a separate native code component for Linux, Mac OSX and Windows. The native code is only x86 or x86_64 using specific operating system functionality. There is no native component for Android on ARM which would be needed for it to work. Also Wurm uses OpenGL where as android devices only support OpenGL ES, which while similar are not the same.

Edited by xzea

I play Wurm on my tablet. 

I have an Nvidia Shield and it basically streams the game from my PC to it.

Runs great (well as good as wurm gets)

Love the Tablet and would recommend it to any gamer looking for a tablet.

(side note you need a Nvidia card to stream)

Edited by Milso
  • Like 1

I play Wurm on my tablet. 

I have an Nvidia Shield and it basically streams the game from my PC to it.

Runs great (well as good as wurm gets)

Love the Tablet and would recommend it to any gamer looking for a tablet.

(side note you need a Nvidia card to stream)

Nice to hear.

This is also the reason I am looking at the new Nexus 9. It uses the 64bit K1 nVidia processor, and the same graphics architecture as the Sheild - which makes me wonder if the same streaming abilities will be there as well.

Google and nVidia are working very closely together atm.

Thanks everyone for the replies - interesting stuff.

Edited by Heboric