Sign in to follow this  
Alexgopen

Make titles matter

Title Effects  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Should skill titles give you some sort of benefit to that skill?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care

As the game currently stands, the only title that actually matters is Armor Smith.
With the Armor Smith title, you have a slight bonus to imping armor items, to help you in your craft as long as you have the title on.

With that the only exception, no other skill title exists for any purpose other than bragging rights.

I could never understand why the developers would choose to give a bonus to imping armor, and nothing else. I'm sure most players would really enjoy having some sort of advantage to their craft of choice upon reaching a title, but right now, the only people who get any bonus from their titles are armor smiths.

I'm proposing that some sort of slight bonus is implemented for each title, so players can have a greater sense of accomplishment and benefit from their titles, because right now you pretty much just pick the title that sounds the coolest at the end of your name, regardless of what kind of craft or trade you are most known for.

For example:

People have suggested making arrows easier to imp, or come out at a greater creation QL. Why not have this be a benefit of wearing a fletching title?

Weapon smiths and blacksmiths could have imp benefits similar to the armor smith title; I don't see why they shouldnt, because weapon smithing is actually quite a bit more difficult than armor smithing.

Woodcutting titles could increase the damage you do to the tree with each swing, allowing you to cut down those difficult trees more quickly.

Hot food cooking titles could increase the rate at which you cook at your quality cap.

In general, I believe that most players would like to see some sort of benefits from their titles similar to what armor smiths already enjoy. What say you?

• Like 10

I'd like it for 90 titles, or maybe full benefit at 90, and smaller at 70 or something.  Just larger ql improvements

also if kings could change their title to get the bonuses, that'd be great too

• Like 8

-1 nah. Too backwards, you get the title because you're good at it - This would make it the other way around.

It works differently for armour smithing because a lot of parts are involved when you're improving.

Arrows are a chapter of its own, plenty of other suggestions for those.

• Like 1

+1 Yes, definitely - if it is for 1 skill then should be for all - consistency would be good in this and many other things ! lol

+1

Though some skills might be tough to give a bonus for.  Thinking forestry and gardening here...

Only granting armorsmiths the bonus has always seemed like one of the old half-done wurm mechanics...  lets get this implemented across all skills with a title.

+1

• Like 1

Sounds like something that would provide a bit more relief in terms of imping into higher QLs, while staying with the game's skill system of higher skills = more benefit when crafting, and doesn't really change anything.

+1

edit: also gives a use for titles

Edited by Fireflyb

I thought they already did so I am all for it.

It is common sense that a carpenter should have some benefit at making wooden items over a blacksmith, and vice /versa.

As the game currently stands, the only title that actually matters is Armor Smith.

With the Armor Smith title, you have a slight bonus to imping armor items, to help you in your craft as long as you have the title on.

Weapon smiths and blacksmiths could have imp benefits similar to the armor smith title; I don't see why they shouldnt, because weapon smithing is actually quite a bit more difficult than armor smithing.

i want a title for have X amount of titles plz, give it better chance to imp my titles and make titles be better ql upon creation?

Only as long as that title is active.

Also it is possible to lose skill and retain a title, champs are the best example of this.

Edited by Klaa

Overall I don't think that the titles should give benefits as the titles themselves are benefits from having high skills. The armor smith title is a good example of why it it isn't a good idea in that form, as if you had 10 other crafting titles which give benefits then you'd just be pointlessly switching between them all the time, always getting the benefit you need anyway.. So if they do give a benefit of some kind then make those benefits passive and apply at all time, even when not displaying the title in question. At that point of course you don't need to give benefits linked to the titles, you could even link them to certain skill amounts.

What I'd personally love to see on the benefit side is just extra recipes, for example purely cosmetic related, or things which can only be made at such a high skill. Paving is for example in a good spot, with the amount of floors you can make depending on your skill, and new floor types unlocking at certain skill levels. Same with Masonry and Carpentry. Benefits like those are what I would focus on. A benefit of being able to imp something easier is just boring and feels off, as having that skill high already makes it easier.

Aeris is also spot on that a title is a benefit for having a high skill, you have it because you are good at the skill. Making it the other way around, that you are better at the skill because you have a title, just doesn't make much sense.

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 2

If titles gave some kind of boost I think they would need a cooldown between changing them, for example players would only be able to change their title once every 3, 6 or 12 hours or something, otherwise you can just constantly change your title and get bonuses in everything you have titles in, at any time.

• Like 5

+1 we work hard for the skills,, a bit of a bonus to wearing them would not be game breaker. As suggested small bonus for lower titles , larger for 90.

Edited by Chiqa