Sign in to follow this  
JockII

Current PVP bug

I am Making this thread to inform people about a bug i have encounters. I am doing this because of a death i had last night, where in effect i died due to a bug known to the GM/Developers that they have not told players about.

BUG 1: Invisible players and Not in local.

The bug happens when a player is mounted on a horse. they can attack, follow or walk around enemies without being seen or showing up in local(this would also give them the bonus cr).

My Situation

was on jkh, me and nanse where pvping kings, we thought it was a 2v1 fight. He was targeting me so i attacked his horse at this point my horse died instantly. I was like eh? 

I then finished kings horse and nanse then joined the fight, he too did not have player x in local and could not visually see him, so he went on to kings directly. His horse was then killed. i was then hit by player x and said in local bro you invisible and i can't target or see you. i guess he might be on the second horse i thought was kings back up, Pop there was playr x wielding a huge axe.  at this point i was at 20% health with guards ect.

We killed player x but lost the fight due to the damage he had already done while being invisible.Apon Death i /supported to make the bug report. I

found out i was a known bug to the Dev team. Had i know before about this bug before i pvped i might have stayed at home. It is now under testing and looking for a fix. 

i do not believe player x intended to use this bug. it just worked out that way,

Fix/suggestion

A simple message in event saying "we are currently investigating a rare bug that causes players to not appear in local or be visually seen in pvp. Pvp has not been disabled at this time due to the rarity of it" 

Basic Customer service and information

• Like 1

To be honest, shouldn't pvp bugs be fixed before a new server is released which all newcomers will join up and be quickly brought in to pvp. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Moved to Suggestions & Ideas.

this isn't a suggestion or idea.. it's a bug that is know and reported.

didn't realize i was suggesting a bug to add to the game :P

Edited by JockII
  • Like 2

I've reported this in the past. Had both allies and enemies be invisible as you describe. Fortunately, the horse rarely goes invisible, so there is that to watch for.

And yes, I think 'players are invisible' is a bug, not a suggestion o.O

• Like 1

I've reported this in the past. Had both allies and enemies be invisible as you describe. Fortunately, the horse rarely goes invisible, so there is that to watch for.

And yes, I think 'players are invisible' is a bug, not a suggestion o.O

I think what he is suggesting is a way to know if a problem is already noted by devs.

Edited by silakka
  • Like 1

I guess the logic behind the move is "fix/suggestion" at the bottom of your post

Edited by Shrimpiie
Moderation Edit
  • Like 1

It's a reported and known issue so there's no need for thread informing about it - however this one contains a suggestion on how problems like that should be handled, hence the move to this section.

No need for the derail though.

"It's a reported and known issue so there's no need for thread informing about it" ...known issue, so everyone who PvP's is informed of this privately in pm's or what?
If so, you missed me when handing out these pm's sam :P
First I've heard of this and seeing as it has a serious affect on a PvP situation, the very least the team could do is announce it in-game on PvP servers until a fix is available, not delete/hide threads informing people about it.

• Like 4

To be honest, shouldn't pvp bugs be fixed before a new server is released which all newcomers will join up and be quickly brought in to pvp. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, this is only one of a few different bugs involving local list, not to mention that invisibility without stealth mode is game breaking. Other known but not fixed bugs that affect PvP:

> Local list bugs - people stay in local list when out of local, usually client specific

> Local list flashes when switching tabs - known to show duplicate list, possibly check for showing stealthed/underground players and others who should not appear in local during debugging

> Positioning bugs - people are shown client-side in a position that is desynched with their server-side position, extremely common in boat fights (ex. can show a knarr full of players 10 tiles to the right when they are actually 20 tiles to the left)

> /vteleport can be used again after crossing server borders, despite (supposedly) being restricted to single-time use - allows exploitation of instant long distance travel into or close to PvP engagements (look into karma home portal for the same use)

> boat mines and mines in general are really buggy - won't let boats in/out, players clip through cave walls and insta-die, players exit mines and get stuck in adjacent structures, teleporting loop bugs (can't /stuck, often requires /suicide), lead/hitched creatures stay above ground while player is below, many others

> internal wounds ignore armor (drake/eagle spirits, Libila spells, tentacles Vynora AoE)

> picked doors don't stay open as long as they should

> eagle/drake spirit special moves have no cool down/too strong - long stuns, throwing off horses makes them unable to be ridden until next server restart, throwing into enclosures/deeds (should be strong, but not stupidly OP to the point that they destroy PvP if they get involved - see BL vs. JKH  eagle spirits video)

> Valrei mobs spawn on players en masse, often during PvP (see previous point)

On top of the local list bugs, there are certain things that are handled entirely client side, such as Get Info, which can pick up people that are local bugged for you, even if they are infact across the map.

Okay, to explain it in very small words:

Jockll posted this in bugs, but included a suggestion on how things like this should be handled.

The bug was already known to the developers.

Samool moved it to suggestions so that Jockll's suggestion wouldn't just sit and die in the bugs section.

Everybody had a fit about why it wasn't still in the bugs section.

Samool explained why it was moved.

Some people had an extra fit about it for no reason and talked smack.

And this is why we can't have nice things.

Jockll posted this in bugs Town square, but included a suggestion on how things like this should be handled.

Samool moved it to suggestions so that Jockll's suggestion wouldn't just sit and die in the bugs section.

Everybody had a fit about why it wasn't still in the bugs section. Town square, where it was more visible(as it wasn't really a suggestion)

just sit and die in the bugs section.

Or maybe it should just be fixed before we make new bugs stuff that will suffer from old bugs? I don't know, just a humble player.

Jockll posted this in bugs, but included a suggestion on how things like this should be handled.

Everybody had a fit about why it wasn't still in the bugs section.

You missed out the part where the mods actually removed/hid the post....

Yes, I see...clearly it is totally different and inherently sinister if it started in Town Square. 

Or maybe it should just be fixed before we make new bugs stuff that will suffer from old bugs? I don't know, just a humble player.

I too wish devs could snap their fingers and just go fix bugs

Finding the source of some hard to reproduce bugs are not easy at all

• Like 1

i've been able to reproduce this bug multiple times. even with wagons and carts and bison and everything. my farm bugs out all the time. infact, it even allowed me to fly onto my roof tile as i exited the large cart too. was pretty cool. i have screenies of it too. :)

i've been able to reproduce this bug multiple times. even with wagons and carts and bison and everything. my farm bugs out all the time. infact, it even allowed me to fly onto my roof tile as i exited the large cart too. was pretty cool. i have screenies of it too. :)

Then by all means actually report the information with detailed steps to reproduce your experience for devs

• Like 1

have had to deal with fighting an invisible tony green on multiple occasions gets pretty annoying after a while. think it had something to do with riding a wagon and or cave exit/entrances.

i can see now why it was put in to suggestions. Considering that wurm has been a "full" product for so long now i find i surprising that they are less informative of bugs. I'm nit saying bugs don't happen i myself am currently building a game and it's full of bugs. I just feel the management of bugs in wurm is a joke. 

Dying ot having to fight an invisible person is a huge issue, one that they seem to have swept under the rug ue to "rarity" personally i don't give a damn how rare a bug this big is. A simple warning system, as simple as i suggested would make a huge difference to how we can precieve the dev team. Everyone assume they don't know/care. When in fact they might have been trying to fix this bug for a while.

Sadly the more i read other saying they have had this bug, it makes me regret pvping and in turn paying to do so. Had i been informed that this bugged excisted, honestly i would have just stayed at deed and grinded up my puppteering for oreo or something. However, thats not the case. I went out died and lost hours of labour in a way that was not fun and generally made me angry/disappointed especially  after how the bug was handled. I felt it was unprofessional and poorly managed. In the end i got this announced:

[03:49:31] <Enki> Friendly reminder.. Rare mechanical issues that affect pvp can happen. This is Play As Is and it is your choice to play on PVP Servers knowing this. Always report bugs, intentional abuse

[03:49:33] <Enki> is not tolerated

To me  that seems like "Deal with it"

i spoke to another moderator as to how i think bugs should have been managed within the game and suggested that be passed on to the team. see below

Had i been the one to handle this situation i would have done:

Event massage "We are currently investigating an issue regarding players going invisible and not showing up in local, we feel it is rare enough that i should not require pvp to be stopped. However, if you do encounter anything of this sort please inform staff immediately. A reminder that using a bug in an advantage way is again the rules and will be dealt with accordingly."

Return/copy the players current gear so neither party is hard done by for the loss and apologize for the bug. stating that it was being looked in to and thank you for he information you have provided.(if not that then some other form of compensation)

After that no other players would be required compensation as they had been warned prior. This is an example of good customer service.

Imo that would create a much smoother process of dealing with bugs, informing the community they are dealing with them and also allow people who are on pvp servers to make better descisions. These decsions can change the out come of pvp massivly. I'm sure on chaos people can loose 100's of euro's of gear. This would at least go "hey, your doing this at your own risk and you now know of this issue we are having".

I expect the devs/gm would get alot more reports that can help thhe bug be repaired and also less hassle if someone does die to his bug. I personal feel like "what else am i paying for but not getting quite right" now.

All the best to the dev team on fixing these bugs, i'm positive it's alot of work and i will say that the dev team have come along way in there responsiveness to dealing with them. I hope my suggestion does make an impact for you guys and leads to better comunication between the player and the staff of wurm. it really needs to

Edited by JockII

It is rather difficult to know if the Devs are already aware of an issue, so one usually ends up reporting it anyways. Of course that can lead to a deluge of bug reports, all of which about the same bug.

Then there can be bugs its better for the general playerbase to not know about (in detail), especially the exploitable ones. Aside from dont do this.

Over the years Ive seen quite a few bug-reporting methods tried out in Wurm. Even bugzilla for a time was open to general users. Atm the forums and /support are the main ones.

Edited by Klaa

Then by all means actually report the information with detailed steps to reproduce your experience for devs

when i have time. been busy lately.

I have had a bug on freedom Xanadu server where players nickname have remained in the Local tab permanent, even thou they clearly was not left in my local.

Happen more then 10 times since Xanadu launch and on several of these occasion i have double checked by chatting to the player, to confirmed they was 1000's of tiles away or even offline.