Sign in to follow this  
Atlas

Rolf and Code Club AMA in Dec

Suggest that we setup an AMA (Ask Me Anything) event in the forums (not in IRC) to be held sometime in the next 3 weeks.

The thread would be opened by a moderator and would take a list of questions from users for 1-3 days prior to a Dev joining the thread.

The thread would be very heavily moderated to ensure no duplicate questions, no wall-of-text questions, and no offensive posts.

People would be able to ask questions ranging from game mechanics "does using a rare statuette do anything during enchanting?" to overall creative vision "where do you see Epic evolving to after the release of Challenge?"...or you could ask Rolf if he likes pancakes

You ask your questions, inappropriate, accusatory or "why didnt you answer my question" posts all get deleted. The Dev decides which questions to answer

Would you like to have a Dev AMA?

Edited by Atlas
  • Like 8

Sounds like a neat idea. But im against asking for game mechanics. Wurm isnt like that IMO. 

• Like 1

id like to see that

Edited by Sin

It's a nice idea, but I suspect that the wierd secrecy which has surrounded game mechanics in the past will result in all those questions being binned.  And, quite frankly, I don't care what Rolf eats for breakfast or what colour frilly underwear he prefers; I want to know exactly what the trader cash distribution mechanism is (for example).  Or when the shader doohicky will be done, so we can have our wood textures back.  The recent over-heavy moderation of anything that doesn't toe the party line would also be a concern.

Still, +1, as transparency is sorely lacking in Wurm, and any step closer to actually having some would be a good thing.

• Like 1

We had something like this around a year ago, was good stuff.

Too bad that it's hard to give promises and ETA on some things, but still good to see dev's point of view

To save the poor mods from having to clean such a thread over the course of those submission days I would suggest a Google form for submitting the questions which the responses could be read by the moderators.

Moderators then could access the shared response file on Drive and flag each submission as Junk/Dupe/Good/Bad, clean up the grammar and spelling -- then once it's nice and clean submit to Rolf and his team so they can write up answers.

This would save trolling in the questions thread, which is bound to happen.

To save the poor mods from having to clean such a thread over the course of those submission days I would suggest a Google form for submitting the questions which the responses could be read by the moderators.

Moderators then could access the shared response file on Drive and flag each submission as Junk/Dupe/Good/Bad, clean up the grammar and spelling -- then once it's nice and clean submit to Rolf and his team so they can write up answers.

This would save trolling in the questions thread, which is bound to happen.

That woukd work. Either way, AMA's have to be heavily moderated in order to function--thats an understanding that everyone needs to accept going into it

It's a nice idea, but I suspect that the wierd secrecy which has surrounded game mechanics in the past will result in all those questions being binned. And, quite frankly, I don't care what Rolf eats for breakfast or what colour frilly underwear he prefers; I want to know exactly what the trader cash distribution mechanism is (for example). Or when the shader doohicky will be done, so we can have our wood textures back. The recent over-heavy moderation of anything that doesn't toe the party line would also be a concern.

Still, +1, as transparency is sorely lacking in Wurm, and any step closer to actually having some would be a good thing.

Asking about the future vision for Traders would be great but, yeah, some specific mechanic questions wont be answered and that makes sense Edited by Atlas

idk.

what about a AMA once or twice a week over a couple of months, or is that was it meant?

then do what bwg suggested: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/114262-rolf-and-code-club-ama-in-nov-or-dec/#entry1166657

and instead of just a one thread stop shop for all the questions, how about using google docs or the like to set up tabbed categories for those specific questions?

would be less of a hassel going through them and would be more efficient imho.

Edited by Wizlawz

I think we need more than one or two every year. Once a month or every few weeks would be good. I do have a problem with them cherry picking questions to avoid answering "secrets" with game mechanics. Sure, moderation, business, fiscal, etc. stuff is secret, but game mechanics should be public knowledge instead of wiki-myths and a few privileged vets knowing it all.

• Like 2

I think we need more than one or two every year. Once a month or every few weeks would be good. I do have a problem with them cherry picking questions to avoid answering "secrets" with game mechanics. Sure, moderation, business, fiscal, etc. stuff is secret, but game mechanics should be public knowledge instead of wiki-myths and a few privileged vets knowing it all.

yes, It would be great to do this at least once a quarter--especially given the small and close-knit nature of Wurm community and our already more intimate relationship with the dev team

...and I agree that there really is no point and no longer any 'charm' in holding out on ambiguity or 'secrets' for most of the game mechanics--especially when anyone can distinguish between a benign mystery like the crafting/enchanting secret mentioned above vs something that may impact PVP, like the exact % damage increase of a rare longsword compared to a non-rare one (although, for myself, I think even this type of info should be revealed in full)

• Like 1

At this point, the only downside I see of knowing the stats for rare/supreme/fantastic and other stuff (certain skills, body stats, etc.) is that it may cause prices on items and accounts to drop if people realize that seemingly shiny things actually do nothing. Knowing this stuff could help the game get fixed or changed to a better state while helping people make more informed in game decisions (this rare sword is doing 5% extra damage vs. ima use dis rare sword cuz kool n shiny doh). Most people use their rares anyway, so it shouldn't change much knowing what they do. Maybe people would be more inclined to use them if they knew what they did - useful items would be more effective while useless ones wouldn't make a difference if lost.

A lot of other games, especially AAA titles have detailed databases and forums where people figure out all this stuff, and that's not restricted to MMOs. Check out this site: http://symthic.com/

Yeah, it's for FPS games, but it gives an example of how much information is out there. I for one find it extremely useful in planning my gameplay decisions. Perhaps giving players a new way to think could even help expand the opportunities in game.

• Like 1

Will be Rolf doing barrel rolls, like last time.

So why not, sure.

The only question I have for Rolf is, "Is that an orange monacle?"

• Like 1

The only question I have for Rolf is, "Is that an orange monacle?"

I swear-to-god thats a Bitcoin stuck in his eye...

• Like 3

I swear-to-god thats a Bitcoin stuck in his eye...

Hilarious.

+1 to ama, would be awesome just to sit in and gather information etc.

This would be great to get info on the Dev's Vision and Creative Direction for 2015

Hi everyone!

I have politely asked (harassed) the powers that be and after promising Rolf a shrimp salad sandwich I can confirm that we will be having a dev interview for the end of the year!

Due to time constraints and pressures it won't be possible to do live, but over the next week or so I will be taking suggestions for questions in another forum thread I'll setup with the help of the forum team.

From there we will take the questions and have them voted by you, the top ones will go to Rolf and the dev team for answering and be posted in an interview much like those our beloved intern Bucket did.

I hope you all look forward as much as I do to finding out whats in store for 2015!

Regards,

Retrograde

• Like 2