Sign in to follow this  
sasquache

Npc boat crews

Boats are excessively slow so why not give us npc boat crews we could buy them from a merchant or trader for 1 or 2 silver for each crew member you would need to keep meals & water in your boat and they consume a preset amount per boat crew and also make them so they can be killed either by mobs or players for those people on the pvp servers that it is fair for all i'm sure that npc boat crews would be a huge boost to the wurm economy as well. Well thanks for the read fellow wurmians have a great day!

Also make it so when ur boat is destroyed from decay they die

also people don't want to be your boat crew it doesn't discourage player interaction, I've never heard anyone say hay can i come sit on your boat and just sit there for hours on end and alt crews are fine for travel on 1 server but if you are traveling between servers alot you have to keep those guys logged in or they will drop out of the boat

Edited by sasquache
  • Like 7

-1, Wurm needs less NPCs, not more. This is just another way to discourage player interaction.

• Like 4

If they were temporary hire , Say a day -1/2 a day creating a money sink then sure +1

-1, Wurm needs less NPCs, not more. This is just another way to discourage player interaction.

I think if boats were faster the opposite would happen, it would promote interaction.

Edited by Wess

+1

I sailed across Xanapu once again last night against the wind.

I need something to speed up my boat, and I seriously doubt if anyone would like to "ride along" because they want "player interaction" :blink:

• Like 2

what a load of crap when i need boat crew i don't use anything but a ton of alts not other players no other players want to come be your boat crew

• Like 1

why not just do the trick i heard about in chat about putting an logged out alt(s) on it to make it move faster?

{-1}

Edited by Wizlawz

+1

This is a great idea.  Sure, you can say why not just put alts on it, but its inconvenient to manage multiple accounts to fill out your boat.  Plenty of people would pay for the convenience, and it takes money out of the economy (sink), so I fully support this idea.

Edited by Garful

wind turbine propeller power.

you have the mast, you have the sails, all you need to now is craft the propeller.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=wind%20turbine&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=wind%20turbine&sc=8-12&sp=-1&sk=#a

10kw-Vertical-Wind-Turbine-Generator.jpg

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=medieval+tech&qpvt=medieval+tech&FORM=IGRE#a

9DB22A6A4DE340818DE111FF5BEEB542.jpg

after all you wouldn't want to ruin the building experience and gratitude of what you have built would you?

+1

and for all that opponents with -1 because less interaction between players:

show me single one example, where you had full knarr of real players for 10-50 hours sailing, just because all 12 players wanted to interact with you whole time, stop joking and wake up, it was just your dreaming

EDIT:

As I see it, NPC sailors means even less load for server than afk alt toons, another bonus.

If there is some issue for PvP, I have no problem to accept it as PvE only feature.

I think, it is really strange, that NPC merchant is "all right" for you and in the same time you hate NPC sailor idea.

NPC merchants are biggest "between players interaction" stealers at this moment, while their role can be so nicely played by players. True, boring as hell and brutally time consuming, the same as NPC sailors, is not it?

Edited by Zakerak
  • Like 1

+1 for this idea will help with the times it take to get to places and will get the economy going again in wurm

Boats aren't excessively slow. Just an awful lot of players feel the need to have deeds on three servers and waste all day sailing to each and every unique slaying or delivering goods worth a fast food lunch.

^ This is just minor problem.

Majority part of problem with slow sailing is TRADE between players. Delivery/pickup part of trade with slow sailing is pain, that limits a lot of trades. In this case faster sailing with help of NPC sailors can bring even more interaction berween players, because it could bring more trades alive.

Example from this week: My friend was 3 days away from home, delivering from Indy to Pristine (and return back to Indy). 3 days sailing in light breeze mostly. And for what? For few only silvers, well, more precisely for nothing. That silvers were for goods, not for 3 boring days spent in knarr...

and such "examples" happens daily in wurm, it is not something rare

EDIT:

Maybe it is not too known, but what is for you "worth a fast food lunch", could be for someone worth 1-2 weeks payment. Not all players are from USA or west Europe :/

Edited by Zakerak

+1

and for all that opponents with -1 because less interaction between players:

show me single one example, where you had full knarr of real players for 10-50 hours sailing, just because all 12 players wanted to interact with you whole time, stop joking and wake up, it was just your dreaming

EDIT:

As I see it, NPC sailors means even less load for server than afk alt toons, another bonus.

If there is some issue for PvP, I have no problem to accept it as PvE only feature.

I think, it is really strange, that NPC merchant is "all right" for you and in the same time you hate NPC sailor idea.

NPC merchants are biggest "between players interaction" stealers at this moment, while their role can be so nicely played by players. True, boring as hell and brutally time consuming, the same as NPC sailors, is not it?

I think that minimum speed could be increased overall, but (sorry to say this) it brings PvP balance into account. Boat speed is a huge part of that and more people means more speed. You can just use alts, as long as you don't cross a server border and the server doesn't go offline, they can be logged off in passenger seats and still give speed bonus.

If you need to log in multiple accounts for any reason and your comp can't handle it, you can disable world render on characters that don't need to see the game world (GUI is still enabled) to drastically increase your performance. You can also use it on a single account to increase your performance if you are only using the UI.

setoption no_world_render [true/false]

Use without brackets, false turns render off, true turns it back on.

Make sailing not to drain stamina, so you can grind skills while sailing :). ( it helps overcome boredom of slower ships/boats)

Edited by Martynas5
  • Like 2

Majority part of problem with slow sailing is TRADE between players. Delivery/pickup part of trade with slow sailing is pain, that limits a lot of trades. In this case faster sailing with help of NPC sailors can bring even more interaction berween players, because it could bring more trades alive.

Boats aren't excessively slow. Just an awful lot of players feel the need to have deeds on three servers and waste all day sailing to each and every unique slaying or delivering goods worth a fast food lunch.

This is the best solution in my opinion to the long sailing times 'problem'

Nothing forces people to sail across several servers or around Xanadu to trade. If you want to, then that is your decision. I think it is far better to get to know your neighbors and trade with them, even if the quality isn't quite as good or the price is worse.

Travel speed fundamentally changes the apparent size of the world and I believe that there should be some reasonable minimum travel times around a server or between servers. When this whole "OMG Bohzt iso slo!" got out of hand is when server spamming created this drawn out chain of islands that takes a day to cross. That is why, I think, the more scalable option that preserves a minimum of travel time but also limits total travel time is the one I linked.

Or, add slaves NPC which you can buy, but disappear after time.

Edited by Aleaiactaest

Remember that this is a game, and most people play games for fun. You could argue that we play for masochism (this is Wurm Online after all), but in the end it's supposed to be fun. Sailing for 12 hours is NOT fun. It's boring. It defeats the purpose of playing a game and as such should be fixed.

• Like 1

Remember that this is a game, and most people play games for fun. You could argue that we play for masochism (this is Wurm Online after all), but in the end it's supposed to be fun. Sailing for 12 hours is NOT fun. It's boring. It defeats the purpose of playing a game and as such should be fixed.

Edited by Wizlawz

Can I bring my tower guards as crew? They are so bored with playing poker all day anyway.