Sign in to follow this  
Wox

Food storage bin, texture

So what happens to the data of the wood type we used to make the Fsb? Is it still stored so in the future if you add shaders(not holding my breath) it knows the wood type? or will we have to make it all over again? Will it be possible to get a second model of a FSB that doesnt look like you placed a crude wooden fence on top?

Edited by Evilvision

Looks great... now if only we could stow fish meat in em...

So what happens to the data of the wood type we used to make the Fsb? Is it still stored so in the future if you add shaders(not holding my breath) it knows the wood type? or will we have to make it all over again? Will it be possible to get a second model of a FSB that doesnt look like you placed a crude wooden fence on top?

the data is still there. the new furniture all has the wood type in the name still but all look the same.

All I can say about this is ... loosing wood type makes me sad, it was one of those little features that made Wurm look better (talking about realism too, as it was mentioned by devs in several situations, wood has different look and texture based on its type in real life as well).

And slowly all of them are taken away. New furniture, although great, doesn't offer any kind of customisation and more "fit in" options, despite the type of walls of the house, rug colours and so on, as wood type could have done it.

When the wood type will be removed from boats, I'm going to cry ..

• Like 3

I understand the disappointment of losing the woodtype, just means I get to look forward to shaders (please include them for animal mobs too)

As for those complaining about the uneven top, has anyone stopped and noticed the current model has an uneven top too?

• Like 1

Of course, we complained back when it was "the new model" too. :P

great work man i really like it, and personally i dont mind only 1 wood type, and if it increases performance even better! keep up the good work!

I understand the disappointment of losing the woodtype, just means I get to look forward to shaders (please include them for animal mobs too)

As for those complaining about the uneven top, has anyone stopped and noticed the current model has an uneven top too?

Maybe because is the same?

Afaik this is a new texture, not a new model.

Greetings!

I have changed the texture to get rid of some mirroring and I did remove the uneven boards on the roof.

FSB_v2.png

Some answers to your questions!

*are they smaller than the old enormous ones?

- Not what I'm aware of.

*can't wait to see if these stops sticking through the floor boards.

- Hope I fixed that

*Do they open?

- No

*Wood type, Color, ect has all been removed?

-Only wood types

*One of my main concerns about the current FSB is its absolute absurdity in size, will this be remedied or are these just new textures..?

I can change the size and make it smaller if you all want that. (if some have the urge to make a poll about it please do)

*One other question, how will the "full"-look, look like? Did that get some love or was it left out all together?

- I removed the Full version, Saroman and I talk about and decided to left it out. I think I never have seen a full one in game?  

*Rolf and dev team Please for the love of god use my hard drive like other mmo's fill it with thousands of pics of textures for different types of stuff.

The average game now days is 30gigs on any hard drive and wurm is only 2.3 gigs thats 27.7 gigs of hard drive space for code and textures for you to play with

- In other MMO (theme park) games the developers have pretty good control over their polygon and texture budget and the things rendered in different locations so they can have a lot of fancy stuff .

We however don't have a clue what an area will look like, so if we allow players to spread out objects in an area and all those objects use 27.7 gig of data I think you can figure out what will happen :)

Sandbox games are a completely different beast then "level/area designed" games.

There are however different techniques to have "next gen graphics" in a sandbox, like you can add distance fog so you only can see 30 meters in front of you. Or have a really aggressive culling (you delete all objects that are further than x meters from the player) but there are almost always a trade off, visual quality vs the number of different objects that can be rendered.

*How safe will food be in a container that the carpenter could not even saw the boards on the top even ?

- The image of the model in the Op are the old model, I only changed the texture!

/Cheers

• Like 11

But why are the handles put in the wrong direction?

Now they are put like on drawers.

I also sob here over my apple and cherry stuff :(

• Like 1

Agree with everyone else in this thread about the uneven planks on top. Always looked like crap, don't know why it's remaining on the overhaul.

Now, a more important issue, in my opinion:

if its so important that we all have same stuff, why in wurm have changes been made to avatars 

remember we all looked the same back in the days 

maybe best to change that back to :/

Maiya brings up a good point. Wood colors/textures are not the culprits of the performance issues around here. I have 50+ bulk bins on my deed and my client's RAM usage remains the same. No lag, no problems. On the other hand, I can't be in the general area of 25 other players at any given time because my client starts eating up my RAM (goes from a normal 700k to 1.6-1.8m)and then the client goes non-responsive. The only solution to "fix" this is to kill the client through system processes. When I try and get back in the game, it takes 10 minutes for everyone's armor/hair/weapons to load up, and as they are doing so, my client's RAM starts skyrocketing again.

So, yeah, if you're trying to clean up and fix performance issues, you're (the team) barking up the wrong tree here. :rolleyes: 

Not to say this decision has anything to do with Wox. Honestly, I like the work that the guy does, not trying to bust his balls here. I just feel it's ridiculous how the team goes about "fixing" things around here: they often mess with things that aren't broke and ignore the things that are.

Edited by As_I_Decay
  • Like 10

Fixing the top is nice and all, but it still doesn't look different enough from the existing one to justify the colour loss that will happen.

Having sets of furniture matching is more important to people than might be realised. I've never lagged from the amount of BSBs anywhere, I have hundreds in my mine for example, but I only ever lag ingame from there being too many players in the area.

Please, let this model have the same wood textures as existing FSBs so that we don't have our carefully selected furnishings ruined randomly, due to a spontaneous update. Mismatching furniture will suck!

Agree with everyone else in this thread about the uneven planks on top. Always looked like crap, don't know why it's remaining on the overhaul.

Now, a more important issue, in my opinion:

Maiya brings up a good point. Wood colors/textures are not the culprits of the performance issues around here. I have 50+ bulk bins on my deed and my client's RAM usage remains the same. No lag, no problems. On the other hand, I can't be in the general area of 25 other players at any given time because my client starts eating up my RAM (goes from a normal 700k to 1.6-1.8m)and then the client goes non-responsive. The only solution to "fix" this is to kill the client through system processes. When I try and get back in the game, it takes 10 minutes for everyone's armor/hair/weapons to load up, and as they are doing so, my client's RAM starts skyrocketing again.

So, yeah, if you're trying to clean up and fix performance issues, you're (the team) barking up the wrong tree here. :rolleyes: 

Not to say this decision has anything to do with Wox. Honestly, I like the work that the guy does, not trying to bust his balls here. I just feel it's ridiculous how the team goes about "fixing" things around here: they often mess with things that aren't broke and ignore the things that are.

The fun part if when Wurm eats 4GB of RAM and you don't know why.

But then I remember that this is a coding problem, and that the art guy shouldn't be helping the coders with their mess.

I pity Wox, doing what he can with what little he have.

the new look is great compared to the old one. But it's a shame about the wood types being removed, it was a great feature of wurm to be able to use different wood types. Please kick some coder until he makes a good dynamic wood texture shader. 

Greetings!

I have changed the texture to get rid of some mirroring and I did remove the uneven boards on the roof.

FSB_v2.png

Wox, I love the second change in form.  The one thing I ask is if we are losing unique wood types, please make them all one?  The new furniture (bookcases, coffers, etc.) have an excellent woodgrain/color.  Can we go with that for the rest?  Then at least the furniture would still match, even if not unique to the person's choice.

The new fsb is nice, but not a necessary change to do.  And I have to call BS on the wood textures.  If the new timber walls, the new furniture, and now the fsb all can have a different wood texture, then all you have done is eliminate the choosing of which texture to use.

Thank you for the changes you made. The model looks great now - your work always does. The only problem is that they look great individually, but don't match well.

A warehouse with BSBs, FSBs, crates, barrels, oil barrels, wine barrels - gets at least 5 different mismatched textures. 6 if you are not changing the BSBs soon too.

A kitchen with an oven, FSBs, BSBs (hope we someday get something smaller to store kindlings by ovens and fireplaces, without needing huge BSBs), table, chairs, bucket, cheese press, barrels, wine barrels - has everything mismatched except FSB, BSB, bucket and barrel - with the FSB going, we will get 3 matches and 2 matching (table + chairs, as long as you don't use new chairs) and 4 mismatching the rest. Add coffers for yet more mismatch.

A typical smithy with forges, BSBs, weapons racks, polearms racks, armour stands, water barrels, BSBs and chests and either carts or coffins for storage - are ok for now. Just the armour stands and possible cart mismatches. But if the BSBs are next, then the problems start here as well... oh and of course the shop signs don't match either if you use them.

The new furniture didn't match well, until Kegan lobbied to have it changed (thanks Kegan!!!), going forward, when you change models, and we are left with only 1 wood type, can you please, please, pretty please make them match at least 1 thing that is already in game (and not about to be changed soon)?

Liking the second model, they could be a bit smaller though. 

Eliminating wood type textures though? Sad times :(

Seeing as almost all these things are optional (graphics options!) , for people with out of date computers that you seem to be catering for, can simply turn settings down to handle things like different textured FSBs ? 

Personally never had a problem with performance with tons of different texture bulk bins and furniture etc on full detail with multiple clients, just saying.. 

Seems to me that things what originally made Wurm - Wurm , are gradually being phased out which makes me sad . Variety is the spice of life after all

All i have to say is make all the wood the same if you are going to go with only one wood texture then make it only one.

Greetings!

*One other question, how will the "full"-look, look like? Did that get some love or was it left out all together?

- I removed the Full version, Saroman and I talk about and decided to left it out. I think I never have seen a full one in game?  

qH7J191.png

Thats my main food bin, yeah, we farm allot XD

I kinda like the "full" look, but I can understand why its left out, probably not to many people around who store that much (besides maybe the panfillers).

Anyways, thanks for listening and making the boards on top nice and clean. Thankyouverymuchindeed!

• Like 2

If coloring still works, you probably you play with it to get different shades making it look like different wood types.  Granted not all wood grain looks the same, but its a start. 

New look is fantastic though.

Can't wait till you add Crate storage  ;) (storage racks so we don't have crates lying all around the floor)