Sign in to follow this  
Wox

Food storage bin, texture

slowly losing all my apple things :(

Same but cherry. These will look out of place next to all my cherry BSBs.
  • Like 1

Give it time, it will all look out of place.  Grey/silver trash bins, plain tan FSBs, the dark stained fine carpentry furniture, and the Flinstones-like bulky reskin of the old tables and chairs.

Who knows what color, or shape, bsb's will will be next.   ;)

• Like 1

In the past I have welcomed new graphical items to wurm but this is ugly.

How safe will food be in a container that the carpenter could not even saw the boards on the top even ?  New design for higher rate of contents decay ?

I have seen better built bird feeders.

I have not seen my graphics slow down entering a house with many fsb and bsb, are you sure you are fixing a real problem?

• Like 1

So at the bottom you got a super passioned woodscraftsman who somehow has obtained a MASSIVE tree to work with. (note the frontdoors)

He has carefully aligned all the planks so the trees natural texture smoothly goes across everything, he has even added little metal designs for the hinges and what not... Quite some dedication for a storage container.

He is about to finish this lovely piece when his 5 year old suddenly has a desire to learn carpentry... by finishing the top... And thus all the top planks are of random length and derpy.

If this was a home assignment in 3d modelling, then you'd get quite a hefty reduction for mirroring the frontsides textures... especially since it includes a rather unique woodpattern...

iow this little fella: aa13611066.png

Overall... Stick to a model done by a good carpenter or a decent one... dont mix them. and no 5year old carpenters are allowed.

and just in general planks tend to not be perfectly aligned...

Edited by Zekezor

If this was a home assignment in 3d modelling, then you'd get quite a hefty reduction for mirroring the frontsides textures... especially since it includes a rather unique woodpattern...

Sorry for nitpicking but... This is actually possible to do in real life by cutting a plank in two and flipping one piece horizontally :P

Sorry for nitpicking but... This is actually possible to do in real life by cutting a plank in two and flipping one piece horizontally :P

This would be very true... if the sides of the tree texture didnt flow identically.

Think of it like a cone. Cut it in half and the middle cut section look the same... the other sides are vastly diffrent. In this case its a piece displaying all 4 sides, not just a flat onesided board.

nitpicking <3

There's no way this looks different enough from the old one, to justify standing out like the elephant in the room by having a different texture. Our warehouse has all apple furniture in it, one of my houses has all cherry. The FSBs in both are going to look plain stupid in there, no matter how detailed or whatever the new model is. 

Please, add the normal wood type textures to it, or add this version of it as an extra option when creating an FSB, or wait with all these new models until shaders are in!

There's no need to remove/replace stuff with wood textures, until the shaders that were mentioned quite a long time ago, are actually ready. If that's a long time away, fine, wait on the implementaion of anything new, but please don't screw up something as fundamental and basic as an FSB for the next X amount of months/years while we wait for shaders.

ADD to the game, not CHANGE existing stuff in unwanted/unexpected ways. 

• Like 2

Thanks Wox, beautiful work as always.

I totally understand on the different wood type textures. It was "a bit ambitious" to plan to add them for all wood types. But I have to be honest, I am one that was anticipating the addition of Walnut, Chestnut, Linden, etc. They add a lot to the game in my opinion.

Question: Would it be possible to compromise and add a "tint" for different wood types? Or would that also impact performance too heavily?

If that would be possible, it may provide all wood objects with wood type "tints".

Alternatively, I know you are all working on dynamic rendering. Perhaps anything further than 20 tiles away (and low graphics setting) could display the generic wood types, while anything under 20 tiles (or high graphics) could display detailed wood types?

PS, I also prefer "even" boards. :P

No offense, but it looks like its unfinished.

Excellent straight lines and hinges everywhere else doesn't match that top.

*sigh* The new dye system using shaders was talked about a year ago, when you started getting rid of wood types. Back then it was something we were getting, now it is something we are MAYBE getting, and in the meantime things keep getting new textures, and for some weird reason a non-matching set of textures is used every time. We are getting all these new furnitures to decorate with, but all that used to match, doesn't anymore. I used to have rooms and houses decorated with one woodtype each (love apple and cherry), and now it just all looks so horrible that I have to put blinders on when entering the rooms...

To not be totally negative, I love the new hinges, I like the texture (it just doesn't match anything), but yeah I would've liked a slightly smaller model and definitely a more even cut top :)

Btw I have no idea, but how much better performance do you get, if you now have to dye each model to try and get the furniture to match just a little bit?

You are doing good work, Wox. I like your design. However, even though haven't been playing for a good while now, I will be missing the various wood graphics. I still remember testing the old FSB's and all the wood types with Mr B :(

First no animal colours, now only one wood texture!!!!

Next there will be only one wood texture for boats, one texture for altars and only one tree type!

If no animal colours, then i for one accept our new one wood type overlords.

Edited by demondan
  • Like 1

Well.. If you did a single texture, could at least have made one that matches the current FC furnitures... That way hour homes still look like a jumble of furnitures...

Example 1: We have Greek pillars, German house walls, Norse trolls, Victorian beds are being shown in the update news, the bulk bins have a much more plastic texture than all other wooden items, Japanese shrines, textures in a cute fantasy style, textures in an ultra realistic style... (the list goes on).

All the game models and texture is a clusterfrell of random stuff with different styles and quality mixed and thrown together.

Also what was the problem with the old FSBs with wood types?  And probably we can expect to get the same for the BSBs then I will laugh.

Next there will be only one wood texture for boats

What if I told you there is only one wood texture for the new ships on the test server :lol:

becouse there is only one.

Edited by Zekezor

I find the wood textures surprisingly important to me too. In fact so important that my latest ship I finished with cherry rather then cedar despite the decay advantages. For ships, I would hate to lose the wood texture options.

• Like 1

Well if its a change required for performance reason I can´t say much about, but is a bit sad, yet another thing loosing wood texture.

Some years ago I remember we where told a shader and mask system will be implemented to allow better colorization of carts, walls, boats, etc. Instead we are going the opposite route :(

• Like 1

Wow, if removing wood textures will speed up the game, then remove all of them. +1

In a game with so little customization-possibilities (even less on the pve-servers then on the pvp-servers, with all the prescribed one-kingdom-look items) it really hurts to lose any customization-possibility left - and the wood-textures are quite an important one of those left... (even if they have been slowly disappearing for a while allready - which I didn't like one bit). I am so getting the feeling of living in a cooky-cutter world, every day a bit more... please first make customization-options (in whichever way), and only then change things to cookie-cutter as base-model, if it must be. Not the other way around, like happens all too often in wurm - take things out with 'oh it will be even better in the future' - never to be seen emerging, or maybe after years of waiting. Please, keep the right followorder, don't change things before the change is complete!

• Like 6

I hate food storage bins in general. They look like a rabbit hutch

• Like 4

im soo sad :/

all my apple wood stuff on deed will go poof :/

if its so important that we all have same stuff, why in wurm have changes been made to avatars 

remember we all looked the same back in the days 

maybe best to change that back to :/

let us all stay at our own homes since its no use to go visit anyone to see new and different stuff added :(

/rant over 

ooo just thought of a nice marble old coffin style bin that acted as a counter top x)

Looks like a crude fsb, overall I like it should add a fancy fsb model aswell make it harder to craft.